Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Broadband Questions

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    dun think u can ve 2 plan under 1 address...coz ur hse cable point are all link together...mayb u can consider using singnet...
    hello why not.....?

    Isnt the whole floor links together.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    hello why not.....?

    Isnt the whole floor links together.
    duno...mus ask sh liao...long time nv use cable liao...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    duno...mus ask sh liao...long time nv use cable liao...
    just watch the packet loh and see how many of the packets are asking "who am i"

  4. #24

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    dun think u can ve 2 plan under 1 address...coz ur hse cable point are all link together...mayb u can consider using singnet...
    wrong. u can sign up for additional access plans under the same address for starhub. just call 1630 to enquire.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Why do you need to sign multiple plan whereby you can sign for a starhub ultimate ?

  6. #26
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    See posts #8 and #18.

    Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion
    Why do you need to sign multiple plan whereby you can sign for a starhub ultimate ?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    What do you mean by household plan and your own plan ?

    You mention it is placed in your house.

  8. #28
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Household plan = for the whole family living in that house
    My own plan = for my own computer only.

    Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion
    What do you mean by household plan and your own plan ?

    You mention it is placed in your house.

  9. #29
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Bump up for more comments

  10. #30

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Bump up for more comments
    Vince,

    What I knew with MOL (mol4k or mol6k5) is using cable modem as a bandwidth limiter.
    So if you have 2 MOL modem, theoretically you will get 2 twice of bandwidth.
    But you should understand you might not get bandwidth MOL(a) + MOL(b),
    because of others outside of you house.

    Now the problem is
    1. whether SH is allowing for it, you need to ask them.
    2. according to you every room has a cable point,
    you need to check this cable point, whether is not a cascade with your other MOL/SCV
    devices.

    About your question regarding
    “On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house? “

    I’m assuming, if you are moving house whether you can bring along the account with you. For SH (MOL + SCV), yes because I have moved house about 2 years ago, and they just asked my new address for sending new bills.
    I heard for ST, you will incur a disconnect and reconnect fee, probably other CS’er who on ST can give you more information

    Cheers

  11. #31
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Thanks for sharing your experinces laheyhv.

    If the Starhub guy I called on the phone can be relied on for what he says, he says that it doens't matter whether it is in your house or in your neighbourhood - the shared bandwidth is based on a per area and not a per house methodology.

    Hence if your house only has one modem, and if the area has 50 others, having a second modem would just mean your house is 2 out of 52 instead of 1 out of 51 previously. There won't be any 1 out of 2 in your house.

    Also, he gave this site to test the transfer rate : utilities.starhub.com - and you can also see minimum tranfer rates there.

    My only reservation is, they keep saying that we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues - but I can't help but question the authenticity of the transfer rates that they put on their site using these tests.


    Quote Originally Posted by laheyhv
    Vince,

    What I knew with MOL (mol4k or mol6k5) is using cable modem as a bandwidth limiter.
    So if you have 2 MOL modem, theoretically you will get 2 twice of bandwidth.
    But you should understand you might not get bandwidth MOL(a) + MOL(b),
    because of others outside of you house.

    Now the problem is
    1. whether SH is allowing for it, you need to ask them.
    2. according to you every room has a cable point,
    you need to check this cable point, whether is not a cascade with your other MOL/SCV
    devices.

    About your question regarding
    “On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house? “

    I’m assuming, if you are moving house whether you can bring along the account with you. For SH (MOL + SCV), yes because I have moved house about 2 years ago, and they just asked my new address for sending new bills.
    I heard for ST, you will incur a disconnect and reconnect fee, probably other CS’er who on ST can give you more information

    Cheers

  12. #32

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Thanks for sharing your experiences laheyhv.

    If the Starhub guy I called on the phone can be relied on for what he says, he says that it doesn’t matter whether it is in your house or in your neighbourhood - the shared bandwidth is based on a per area and not a per house methodology.
    .
    Vince,
    Based on my experience work on “DOV = Data Over Voice” modem,
    This SH or ST or PN, should use an “exchange station”, before it distribute their data to our house.
    So the configuration is:
    i.e. [SH or ST or PN] Data Centre => F.O. (Fiber Optic) => Main Exchange Centre [Pickering St.] => F.O. => Branch Exchange [Bukit Batok] => Coaxial / Phone Wire => House [Bukit Batok Central].

    The different between ST and SH (I’m not sure about PN), SH using Hub Method, while ST using Star method.
    Hub or Star method is a term in the “Networking Stuff”.

    So he is right.



    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    My only reservation is, they keep saying that we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues - but I can't help but question the authenticity of the transfer rates that they put on their site using these tests.
    This statement come because traffic from SH or ST or PN to the world is variable.
    The safety point is between your station to their intranet.

    What I can suggest is to measure between intranet and extranet/world.


    Cheers

  13. #33

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by laheyhv
    The different between ST and SH (I’m not sure about PN), SH using Hub Method, while ST using Star method.
    Hub or Star method is a term in the “Networking Stuff”.
    which is why Starhub access is termed the Fat Green Pipe cos the "last mile" connection to homes is actually shared. that's why if there are a lot of SH users in your immediate area, your connection speed actually drops.

    Singtel/ PacNet (which operates over phone line) has only limited bandwidth over "last mile" although it's dedicated connection up to the telco exchange only.

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    My only reservation is, they keep saying that we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues - but I can't help but question the authenticity of the transfer rates that they put on their site using these tests.
    rest assured the transfer rates from their server to urs is authentic (they have no reasons to cheat u), but ONLY for local traffic. overseas traffic are not under their perview, cos very obviously the overseas networks are not managed by them. that's why they say "we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues"
    Last edited by mervlam; 21st September 2006 at 02:57 PM.

  14. #34
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    So that means that Singtel/Pacnet has a longer length of dedicated time right?

    The way the FLASH advertisement for SH, they are saying that their non-dedicated pipe is bigger than ST's non-dedicated pipe. But they forget to mention that ST has a longer length of dedicatedness than them.

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    which is why Starhub access is termed the Fat Green Pipe cos the "last mile" connection to homes is actually shared. that's why if there are a lot of SH users in your immediate area, your connection speed actually drops.

    Singtel/ PacNet (which operates over phone line) has only limited bandwidth over "last mile" although it's dedicated connection up to the telco exchange only.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    So that means that Singtel/Pacnet has a longer length of dedicated time right?

    The way the FLASH advertisement for SH, they are saying that their non-dedicated pipe is bigger than ST's non-dedicated pipe. But they forget to mention that ST has a longer length of dedicatedness than them.
    correction...SN is dedicated up to atm only....oversea bandwitdh is still throttled...
    whereas SH is tat 1 area share a pipe to the server exchange...if some1 in ur are doing intensive traffic stuff like heavy bt...ur speed will suffer at ur end...may nt b due to oversea throttle BW but by tat user bting in ur area...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  16. #36
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Yes, thats my point, Singnet has a longer length of dedicated access - at least its dedicated up to the exchange.

    For Starhub, its non-dedicated ALL THE WAY.

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    correction...SN is dedicated up to atm only....oversea bandwitdh is still throttled...
    whereas SH is tat 1 area share a pipe to the server exchange...if some1 in ur are doing intensive traffic stuff like heavy bt...ur speed will suffer at ur end...may nt b due to oversea throttle BW but by tat user bting in ur area...

  17. #37

    Default Re: Broadband Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Yes, thats my point, Singnet has a longer length of dedicated access - at least its dedicated up to the exchange.

    For Starhub, its non-dedicated ALL THE WAY.
    then yup u gt it...but sn is more promt to dc than starhub...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •