Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC: Singapore 'breaks protest deal'

Default Re: BBC: Singapore 'breaks protest deal'

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    If you are free, read up on the history of IMF/World Bank. Starts to make you wonder who the real terrorists are. Which terrorists are they "protecting" us from?
    Aiyoh - they are the BIG BOYS what! You DON'T MESS with the BIG BOYS, OK? They are bigger than God now - in some cases - at least on earth.

let's just hope tat the protests dun get ugly.... buta whatever the case, tink the gahment is not taking this relaxation of rules lightly, which instead will even beef up their security at the area.....

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    If you are free, read up on the history of IMF/World Bank. Starts to make you wonder who the real terrorists are. Which terrorists are they "protecting" us from?
    p.s. - they control THE MONEY - if you control THE MONEY - you are much bigger than God - in most cases - esp on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    let's just hope tat the protests dun get ugly.... buta whatever the case, tink the gahment is not taking this relaxation of rules lightly, which instead will even beef up their security at the area.....
    I don't think they will get that ugly coz they are all confined to an indoor area - I think they can only protest effectively - if it is a silent protest - with them silently holding up banners etc. I think if there are shouting or too much noise - the SECURITY will step in - coz too much shouting will cause discomfort and disturbance to the delegates ...

I am very interested in Chee Soon Juan's attempt to stage demo today - but is he in police custody now? His sis also, right? Anyone has any news of that? If they are in police custody, the demo will be no go, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    there will be media coverage if you are prepared to host them ... Invite them now lar ...
    I dont have the contacts

Default Ot

Imagine.

After a year of preparation, hard work, planning... you finally open your own curry chicken stall- SPICY CURRY HOUSE. hurray.

A customer finally comes to your Curry Chicken Stall. hurray.

Customer: "One bowl of chicken curry... I heard that your curry is damn spicy! Best in South East Asia! Thats why I choose to walk into your shop. Hurray"

But then you add one extra table spoon of chilli powder, hoping to give your customer an unforgettable impression. i.e add more kick to it lah. hurray.

After one sip of the curry....... hurray?

No hurray, but Customer shouting to the whole street: "I think SPICY CURRY HOUSE have inflicted enormous damage to its reputation by adding too much spice!"

Default Re: Ot

then pray something bad happens to them...maybe some protestor pwned those big shots....then next time no IMF person will dare to say anything like that again
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Cool. Now that protest ban has been lifted, lets see if public properties get wrecked or if anyone gets hurt. Something the Yes-men are so afraid to see happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jango
    Cool. Now that protest ban has been lifted, lets see if public properties get wrecked or if anyone gets hurt. Something the Yes-men are so afraid to see happen.
    since when was the protest ban lifted? They can ONLY PROTEST in the designated area INDOORS - at FORTRESS SUNTEC - hello! with all the security AIMING stuff at them - how to wreck public property?? AND they were probably searched thoroughly - so now inflammable stuff - just in case someone decides to immolate himself or herself - also even if they do - they will set off the sprinkler system. So tell me - HOW will public property be wrecked??

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    since when was the protest ban lifted? They can ONLY PROTEST in the designated area INDOORS - at FORTRESS SUNTEC - hello! with all the security AIMING stuff at them - how to wreck public property?? AND they were probably searched thoroughly - so now inflammable stuff - just in case someone decides to immolate himself or herself - also even if they do - they will set off the sprinkler system. So tell me - HOW will public property be wrecked??
    The only weapon these ppl can bring in is a foul mouth .....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    The only weapon these ppl can bring in is a foul mouth .....
    Yes - but they must whisper or mutter or just say - cannot shout i think - if they shout too much and disturb delegates, the SECURITY will come after them - so the best is still silent protest - put all their foul language on banners or playcards or on t-shirts!!

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    Yes - but they must whisper or mutter or just say - cannot shout i think - if they shout too much and disturb delegates, the SECURITY will come after them - so the best is still silent protest - put all their foul language on banners or playcards or on t-shirts!!
    wonder how the authorities will react if they put all the messages on their bodies and go artistic .....

wonder how the authorities will react if they put all the messages on their bodies and go artistic .....
    As long as NO NUDITY - not a problem lah!

Quote Originally Posted by user12343

Mr Wolfowitz said that Singapore would have to decide whether to show it was 'authoritarian' or 'at the stage of success they have reached, they would do much better for themselves with a more visionary approach to the process'.
    Say what you wan about Sg and WB... but the above quote is very true.

Why else are we allowing IR in the first place...

We may be the safest country in the world... but ask yourself, is this the result of the citizens being law-abiding or the ability to enforce.

My guess is the latter... does it feels like having your parent (govt) never allowing you your own ability to make choices when it's in conflict with their POV?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

You'd see CS ladder gang there.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    You'd see CS ladder gang there.
    esp if mau_lovers go there with her artistic poses ... i'll go buy a new 5-step ladder ...

Quote Originally Posted by tsan81
    Imagine.

After a year of preparation, hard work, planning... you finally open your own curry chicken stall- SPICY CURRY HOUSE. hurray.

A customer finally comes to your Curry Chicken Stall. hurray.

Customer: "One bowl of chicken curry... I heard that your curry is damn spicy! Best in South East Asia! Thats why I choose to walk into your shop. Hurray"

But then you add one extra table spoon of chilli powder, hoping to give your customer an unforgettable impression. i.e add more kick to it lah. hurray.

After one sip of the curry....... hurray?

No hurray, but Customer shouting to the whole street: "I think SPICY CURRY HOUSE have inflicted enormous damage to its reputation by adding too much spice!"
    Was the main point security when we bid to host? Or was it our financial hub status.

I wonder if Paul Wolfowitz is immune to be sued for what he said in cnn. Anyway, he have all the money in the world not to care.

I think the last word should go to MM Lee from a story on Yahoo showing just how much the government trusts the populace to make their own decisions, to have a voice, and in particular his solution to a non-P A P government being voted in.

Lee acknowledged that there was growing support for opposition parties among Singapore's voters, but said the office of the elected presidency had been put in place to prevent a profligate opposition government from touching the island's vast monetary reserves.

"Without the elected president and if there is a freak result, within two or three years, the army would have to come in and stop it," Lee said.

So there you have it. Do as we tell you or we send in the army.

Nice.

Enormous damage has been done and a lot of that damage is done to Singapore and self-inflicted. This could have been an opportunity for them to showcase to the world their development process” - Wolfowitz

quoted from a website:

"World Bank says Singapore breached deal"
    - Houston Chronicle.

"World Bank's Wolfowitz says Singapore backtracked on agreement"
    - Bloomberg.

"World Bank says Singapore breached deal"
    - Associated Press.

"Singapore has reneged on deal with activists: Wolfowitz"
    - AFP.

"Singapore has reneged on deal with activists: Wolfowitz"
    - The Nation.

"EU, World Bank urge Singapore to lift protest ban"
    - Reuters.

"Charities threaten to boycott IMF over ban on Singapore Protests"
    - Independent.

"Singapore Branded Authoritarian"
    - BBC.

"Singapore Inflicted Enormous Damage to Reputation: Wolfowitz"
    - AFP.

"Singapore IMF Activist Ban Slammed"
    - CNN.

you see, it is no more confined into a "local event". we cannot just argue about singapore protecting their citizens. right now, it is going gobal. if you want to know the seriousness of this, just check the internet. like what i say, there isn't going to be any perfect ending anymore. what choices to take and what to sacrifice will be done by the government. just hope they will make a smart choice. bottom line, singapore signed a contract and breached it. if they understood that security would be an issue, and that protecting their citizens is placed in top pirority, they shouldn't even signed it in the first place. but what's done is done. pray that the consequences wun be high and costly.

and do you find it strange. none of this is reported in our news. is like if you're not on the internet often, one will still think that the imf is going smoothly and singapore is doing a good job. selective reporting, going to be on BBC soon.
    Last edited by satay16; 16th September 2006 at 03:55 PM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast