Thread: Does ‘Native Resolution’ Applies to CRT monitor?

Default Does ‘Native Resolution’ Applies to CRT monitor?

Hi all.

1. For LCD monitors, there is this thing called ‘Native Resolution’. Setting to the ‘Native Resolution’ will ensure that the image will be distortion free. Someone briefly explained to me that it is something like “using 1 pixel to represent 1 pixel”, therefore an image will be represented accurately.

2. What about CRT monitors? I am keen to getting a 20-22 inch CRT from Viewsonic. Here’s the technical specs from their website:

The P225f PerfectFlat® monitor from ViewSonic
    2048 x 1536 maximum resolution
    Displays a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536 at 79Hz flicker-free refresh rate for easy viewing.
    2,048x1,536 @ 79Hz
    1,920x1,440 @ 84Hz
    1,600x1,200 @ 99Hz
    1,280x1,024 @ 115Hz

Given so many resolution settings provided, what is the ‘Native Resolution’ for this CRT model? Which setting will ensure an accurate, distortion free image? Does ‘Native Resolution’ apply to CRT in the first place?

3. If you are an experienced CRT user, which one of these settings would you recommend for Photoshop work?

4. Does anyone know whether this Viewsonic P225f model is good? Are there any alternative 20 inch brands or models you would like to recommend? Its no longer easy to shop for a good 20 inch CRT anymore, seems like most manufacturers are no longer interested in supplying.

With thanks,

Visuals

Default Re: Does ‘Native Resolution’ Applies to CRT monitor?

There is no native resolution for a CRT.

To ensure minimum distortion, you have to take a ruler and measure the image height and width, and pick a resolution with the same ratio.

The recommended minimum refresh rate is 85Hz.

The highest resolution that you can see comfortably at 85Hz or more. Not all CRTs can perform well at high resolution/refresh rates due to bandwidth limitations in either videocard, cable or moniter itself. Often there may be a tradeoff between acuity/sharpness and refresh rates. i.e it may look sharper at 85Hz rather than 120Hz if its bandwidth limited.

Basically you have to try it out and see. For CRT's it may be a mixed bag due to the variables involved using the analog D-Sub connection.

I have noticed that many pre-press or professional printers still stick to CRTs. In fact, I was told by a color management expert that CRT is still the preferred choice for color critical printing work. CRTs are known for their color and brightness accuracy, and easier to calibrate accurately.

Given the current technology and price level, is it still worth going for a CRT?
    Quite a difficult decision to make.

Visuals.

vince123123
    Guests

From what I last checked, Big CRTs are almost as expensive as same sized LCDs....

Quote Originally Posted by Visuals
    I have noticed that many pre-press or professional printers still stick to CRTs. In fact, I was told by a color management expert that CRT is still the preferred choice for color critical printing work. CRTs are known for their color and brightness accuracy, and easier to calibrate accurately.

Given the current technology and price level, is it still worth going for a CRT?
    Quite a difficult decision to make.

Visuals.
    Maybe you should ask your colour management expert which CRT models he is referring to. Dell 24" LCD goes for about $1.5k, the 30" model goes for ~$3.2k. A good 24" CRT should be $5k-$15k, and i shudder to think how much a professional 30" CRT costs. Are you playing with that kind of moolah?

each(RGB) liquid crystal cell represent one pixel and that IS fixed. when lower resolution signal is display on LCD, it doesnt use mulitple cell to represent one pixel--unlike CRT, but the low res signal is processed by either the display card or monitor to scale--think resampling 1024x768 to 1280x1024--the image would get blurry.

1600x1200 for 21"/22" CRT, anything higher you are pushing its limit. although CRT dont have the limitation of the LCD, it does have mask/grille pitch size. a 21"/22" generally have 16" x 12" viewable screen area, divide that by the pitch size--the distance between adjacent RGB trio, you'll get its max resolution. eg, 16" x 25.4 = 406mm, divide it by the pitch size of 0.25mm(most high end CRT) = 1625 dot. if you push it to display 2048x1546, some of the info would not be shown on screen as one RGB trio can't represent 2 pixels.
    Last edited by kurtlim; 17th September 2006 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visuals
    Hi all.

1. For LCD monitors, there is this thing called ‘Native Resolution’. Setting to the ‘Native Resolution’ will ensure that the image will be distortion free. Someone briefly explained to me that it is something like “using 1 pixel to represent 1 pixel”, therefore an image will be represented accurately.

2. What about CRT monitors? I am keen to getting a 20-22 inch CRT from Viewsonic. Here’s the technical specs from their website:

The P225f PerfectFlat® monitor from ViewSonic
    2048 x 1536 maximum resolution
    Displays a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536 at 79Hz flicker-free refresh rate for easy viewing.
    2,048x1,536 @ 79Hz
    1,920x1,440 @ 84Hz
    1,600x1,200 @ 99Hz
    1,280x1,024 @ 115Hz

Given so many resolution settings provided, what is the ‘Native Resolution’ for this CRT model? Which setting will ensure an accurate, distortion free image? Does ‘Native Resolution’ apply to CRT in the first place?

3. If you are an experienced CRT user, which one of these settings would you recommend for Photoshop work?

4. Does anyone know whether this Viewsonic P225f model is good? Are there any alternative 20 inch brands or models you would like to recommend? Its no longer easy to shop for a good 20 inch CRT anymore, seems like most manufacturers are no longer interested in supplying.

With thanks,

Visuals
    Native resolution is not defined on CRT because the beam is analog and continuous. So for say a 1024x768 resolution, all the beam need to do is to be able to change 1024 times for every horizontal line and scan 768 of these lines vertically downwards to form the image. That is why the dot pitch is very important so that the image looks fine.

For LCD, it's because the screen is made of a finite number of pixels, so the best is to follow the resolution which is the native resolution.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th September 2006 at 09:39 AM.