Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Taking photos of IMF security = ass kicking?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Taking photos of IMF security = ass kicking?

I'm asking you the question, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Upon further consideration, I withdraw my suggestion to ask the police officer to quote the relevant laws, as it might not be appropriate under this particular situation. I'd still maintain the suggestion to take his name down in the event of any confrontation.

That said, this is exceptional only in this particular case, due to overriding factors. In all other situations, such as overzealous security guards who make up their own laws, my previous suggestion would still apply.
    What amounts to a "confrontation" is of course a matter of personal perception. Police officers are trained and constantly reminded to deal with the general public in a courteous but film manner. If the general public were to take vince's suggestion in taking down the name of every officer they speak to, then please go ahead if they deem it neccesary. No experiened officer will have anything to worry about, nor will they be intimidated, as long as they know they acted within the law and the SPF's internal guidelines.

The commentary on this "exceptional case" does arouse my curiosity thou. What exactly are the "overriding factors" you refer to, if may I enquire with all due respect?
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Does your question renounce my right to ask you a question in return?

vince123123
    Guests

You have misunderstood, there is no intention to intimidate anyone.

What amounts to a "confrontation" is of course a matter of personal perception. Police officers are trained and constantly reminded to deal with the general public in a courteous but film manner. If the general public were to take vince's suggestion in taking down the name of every officer they speak to, then please go ahead if they deem it neccesary. No experiened officer will have anything to worry about, nor will they be intimidated, as long as they know they acted within the law and the SPF's internal guidelines.
    What do you think?

The commentary on this "exceptional case" does arouse my curiosity thou. What exactly are the "overriding factors" you refer to, if may I enquire with all due respect?
    Last edited by vince123123; 16th September 2006 at 12:17 AM.

Vince, I think you know me well enough to understand me when I am telling you in the nicest way possible, to refrain from going down this line of arguement. It is simply pointless and I do not see a resolution even if this gets pinged back and forth. Thank you.

As for Huaiwei, may i please suggest you give yourself and Vince some breathing space? If both of you wish to continue along this line of discussion, i suggest both of you take it offline or discuss it via PM/MSN.

I do not think anyone needs any grief from any party being trying to insist on their point of view being the right one.

We all know where we stand. For those who are involved intimately with the security measures in regards to IMF, there isnt a need to impress upon others. This isnt the time for your ego to take place of a rational mind. For those who have doubts, so be it. For those who know, there isn't a need to shout. The best answer will come in the form of the successful and safe conclusion of this event.

For everyone else, if you do not know or know only a little of whats going on, speculating online isn't going to take you very far. All it will do is to reveal the depth (or the lack thereof) of your knowledge.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 16th September 2006 at 12:08 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

For all people who are interested, here is a link on a good procedure to follow regarding being approached by police forces.

http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2...by-police.html

And my personal opinion as a photographer: know your rights, and if you think there is a worthwhile picture to be taken then go ahead and take it within the boundaries of your rights as a citizen of the country.

You have misunderstood, there is no intention to intimidate anyone.
    You have misunderstood, there is no intention to confront anyone either.

What do you think?

There is quite a difference between taking a photo of an event (my intention) and documenting security measures/forces.

Right or not, I think had I shot some photos and been asked to delete I would have more than likely complied, but only after showing them that the photos were harmless and trying to negotiate out of it. I certainly would not stand on my high horse and demand name, rank and serial number. That's just asking to to be detained while the mess is cleared, which is something I didn't fancy.

So no, no decent photos of ghurkas for me, although I did notice a few near the Thai Embassy on Orchard. I might go down there tomorrow in my Ang Moh Tourist Outfit(tm) and see what I can capture.

Quote Originally Posted by thedellis
    There is quite a difference between taking a photo of an event (my intention) and documenting security measures/forces.

Right or not, I think had I shot some photos and been asked to delete I would have more than likely complied, but only after showing them that the photos were harmless and trying to negotiate out of it. I certainly would not stand on my high horse and demand name, rank and serial number. That's just asking to to be detained while the mess is cleared, which is something I didn't fancy.

So no, no decent photos of ghurkas for me, although I did notice a few near the Thai Embassy on Orchard. I might go down there tomorrow in my Ang Moh Tourist Outfit(tm) and see what I can capture.
    but what's wrong with documenting security measures and forces?
    I don't understand what's the fear with taking photos of people in uniforms.
    I don't understand why photographers should delete their photos. Perhaps this is a good reason to return to film. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    I don't understand why photographers should delete their photos. Perhaps this is a good reason to return to film. heh.
    Beause it's creating a record that could be used for nerfarious purposes. It's while filming or photography is not allowed at critical infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock

its ok if they just ask u to delete...the worst case is they confiscate ur equipment and put u under ISA...hmm...there are many ways to recover deleted pix IMHO

for a few pixs I dun think there's a need to test the patience of those stationed there...

having said tat I have to admire the courage u took in the quest

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    beware lor... wait you kena shot by sniper... BTTL style (bullet thru the Lens..)
    never see any police snipers in action leh
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345