Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod Recommendations (requirements inside)

Default Re: Tripod Recommendations (requirements inside)

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    I went browsing around the Manfrotto and Gitzo websites for more information and found another two possible Manfrottos...the Gitzo ones that fit my measurements seem to be carbon fibre ones and will probably be out of my budget.

Has anyone tried the following Manfrotto tripods before?

- 055CL (Classic Tripod)
    - 055DB (Basic Tripod 055 Black)

I found a pricelist elsewhere and both of these seem to cost just as much if not just slightly more than the 190ProB, and yet are slightly bigger. If I were to attach a head and my camera to them, and extend the legs fully, it will be almost at eye level and will be quick to use.

Can anyone advise on this? I won't be in dire need of a tripod until around November when I go off for a New Zealand trip. But of course if I can finalize this earlier, it will give me time to play around with the tripod and get familiar with it before traveling.
    Trust me.. you will want a carbon fibre tripod when you go travelling. So my suggestion is to save up a bit more so you don't have to spend even more later.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Trust me.. you will want a carbon fibre tripod when you go travelling. So my suggestion is to save up a bit more so you don't have to spend even more later.
    Heheh...but how much would a tripod with similar specs cost? Should be more than $500, I'm guessing.

I've been using a 190proB + a 486RCO head(out of production) for quite some time now. The heaviest thing I have loaded on it is a 1dmkII+300/2.8 IS+2x tc. Seems to be fine. I got it off BnS for just under 200 some time back.

The nice thing about the RCO head is it has spirit levels in built, which IMO makes it worth the slight extra weight over the 486RC2 head that people commonly use.

The problem with the range of manfrotto heads that sell for about $100 is the creep on the ballheads. It's great if you're using it for extra support for large set-ups, but if you're using it for long exposures with telephoto lenses you're in trouble.

Recently, I even had problems using a 350d(w/o grip)+70-200/4L. I made a 15" exposure at 200mm and it was quite obviously blur because the ballhead was creeping. There was also strong wind about where I was shooting so that may have contributed.

The ballhead does work fantastically for shorter set-ups though like a 1d + a short 24-60/2.8 lens. It's actually heavier than the 350d+70-200/4, but it doesn't creep. It also doesn't creep when the camera is placed horizontally, but only in the vertical position.

I think, for the price you pay, it's very very good value. It does make sense though to invest in a better ballhead if you're doing a lot of night shooting with telephoto lenses. Personally, I'll probably be switching to an Acratech myself once I can spare the moolah, given the recent increase in night shots that I've been doing.

The only thing about the legs that I find inadequate is the minimum height. If you're given to doing low angle shots you'd want a centre column that can be set in the horizontal position. The manfrotto cannot do this. The manfrotto also does not have a centre column hook, if it matters to you. The overall weight is ok, slightly heavy but I don't have problems bringing it around. If you're on a budget like me it's really pretty good enough.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    I've been using a 190proB + a 486RCO head(out of production) for quite some time now. The heaviest thing I have loaded on it is a 1dmkII+300/2.8 IS+2x tc. Seems to be fine. I got it off BnS for just under 200 some time back.

The nice thing about the RCO head is it has spirit levels in built, which IMO makes it worth the slight extra weight over the 486RC2 head that people commonly use.

The problem with the range of manfrotto heads that sell for about $100 is the creep on the ballheads. It's great if you're using it for extra support for large set-ups, but if you're using it for long exposures with telephoto lenses you're in trouble.

Recently, I even had problems using a 350d(w/o grip)+70-200/4L. I made a 15" exposure at 200mm and it was quite obviously blur because the ballhead was creeping. There was also strong wind about where I was shooting so that may have contributed.

The ballhead does work fantastically for shorter set-ups though like a 1d + a short 24-60/2.8 lens. It's actually heavier than the 350d+70-200/4, but it doesn't creep. It also doesn't creep when the camera is placed horizontally, but only in the vertical position.

I think, for the price you pay, it's very very good value. It does make sense though to invest in a better ballhead if you're doing a lot of night shooting with telephoto lenses. Personally, I'll probably be switching to an Acratech myself once I can spare the moolah, given the recent increase in night shots that I've been doing.

The only thing about the legs that I find inadequate is the minimum height. If you're given to doing low angle shots you'd want a centre column that can be set in the horizontal position. The manfrotto cannot do this. The manfrotto also does not have a centre column hook, if it matters to you. The overall weight is ok, slightly heavy but I don't have problems bringing it around. If you're on a budget like me it's really pretty good enough.
    Sounds like the 190Pro is quite capable. I understand that it extends quite high (for shorties like me that is) with the center column extended, but I wasn't too keen on it when I found the height a little low without the center column extended. Now I'm leaning towards looking for a tripod that can hit around 135-140cm without extending the center column. This way it is easier to set up...let go of the leg sections, fasten them and I already have the camera close to eye level. Just need to bend a bit.

That's why I was considering the 055CL and the 055DB. I don't like using center columns, and if I can get away with a tripod that doesn't have an extending one, I probably will take it. Both of those tripods also go down to around 8-11cm at minimum height, more than adequate even if I want to photograph something in prone position. But I don't know about the price. I fear it will be extremely costly.

But as lsisaxon advises, I might ultimately decide to take the fall and pay more for a good carbon fibre one I can use for years to come.

Regarding ball heads, there is a potential I would take some photos with a tele lens, though it won't be heavy...nothing beyond about 2kg anyway, for now. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think budget has become secondary. If I find something that fits my needs, I'm willing to spend...not up to several hundreds, but I'll go beyond $300. But I just need recommendations and advice so I don't splurge on the wrong thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123