Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

  1. #1
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Just curious,

    Which brand of DSLR does not have shutter sound? How much does it cost?

    I've heard that some medium format digital cameras do not have shutter sounds. Is this true? If so, what models and brands are we looking at?

    Any feedback or help is much appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    the E-1 has about the most silent and well-damped shutter liao.....

    maybe wait n see wat happens at photokina

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    All DSLR's have negligible shutter sound. If you're talking about mirror slap you may try the 10d. If you dislike the mirror slap, simply avoid SLR cameras, medium format or otherwise.

    You would be looking for a rangefinder system.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    more specifically, those with cloth shutters. like leica.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    its not so much the shutter but the mirror slapping that has the most sound...and single lens reflex medium format cameras have very loud sound cause of the large mirror...maybe what you heard was about twin lens reflex medium format no experience with those so anyone can fill in on those?...

    2 DSLRs with very little shutter sound and no mirror slap sound are the Olympus E10 and E20...no mirror slap cause it does not have a mirror but uses a semi-reflective prism...virtually silent operation, almost like p&s...it does have a mechanical shutter but is very quiet, even to the photographer...I have used it to shoot in film sets and no probs

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Sony R1 although it isn't a DSLR. but closest to DSLR sensor ability.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  7. #7
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    i can't hear the shutter sound from my camera....
    eat. drink. shoot

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?


  9. #9
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Wah bro! Pardon my ignorance... But WHAT IS THAT???

  10. #10
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    its not so much the shutter but the mirror slapping that has the most sound...and single lens reflex medium format cameras have very loud sound cause of the large mirror...maybe what you heard was about twin lens reflex medium format no experience with those so anyone can fill in on those?...

    2 DSLRs with very little shutter sound and no mirror slap sound are the Olympus E10 and E20...no mirror slap cause it does not have a mirror but uses a semi-reflective prism...virtually silent operation, almost like p&s...it does have a mechanical shutter but is very quiet, even to the photographer...I have used it to shoot in film sets and no probs
    I'm a Nikon user, so I'm not familiar with the Olympus system.

    So the E10 and E20 does not have a mirror. So ... NO MIRROR = NO MIRROR SLAP SOUND
    And the mechanical shutter is very quiet. Just how quiet? Is this audible in a quiet concert hall environment?

    What is the price range for the E10 and E20?

    Thanks to all for feedback and info.

  11. #11
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Am I right to say that the Hasselblad H1, H2 series does not have "mirror slap" nor "shutter sound"? Any medium format users care to enlighten me on this?

    Thanks in advance.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Compact Digital Cams... no sound

  13. #13
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Compact Digital Cams... no sound
    Bro, DSLR lah....

    or Medium Format for that matter.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Wah bro! Pardon my ignorance... But WHAT IS THAT???
    hahah that's ancient baby~!

    btw i suggest olympus is a deadly silencer

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Am I right to say that the Hasselblad H1, H2 series does not have "mirror slap" nor "shutter sound"? Any medium format users care to enlighten me on this?

    Thanks in advance.
    The H series are SLRs, and you will know when the shutter fires.

    Are you posing this question about a silent shutter because you want to procure such a setup? Or are you asking out of curiousity? If the former, I'm not sure if the investment in a Hassey and its lenses are going to be realistically feasible, given the high costs involved.

    If you are so concerned about the shutter noise, better go for a point and snap like everyone suggests.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    from my experience... the E-1 is the most silent DSLR i've ever tried...
    nice shutter sound >___<
    while the most noisy is KM 7D i think..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Wah bro! Pardon my ignorance... But WHAT IS THAT???
    haha if i haven't mistaken, that's a pinhole.

  18. #18
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    For digital camera solutions
    #1, use ear plugs.
    #2, use digi cam.
    #3, use video cam.
    #4, shoot with mirror lock up.

    and these cameras are known have the most silent shutter sound.
    Leica M
    most range finder cameras
    Large format or view cameras
    pin hole cameras

    Maybe others can fill in something which I don't know or miss out.

    Hope these help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #19
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    The H series are SLRs, and you will know when the shutter fires.

    Are you posing this question about a silent shutter because you want to procure such a setup? Or are you asking out of curiousity? If the former, I'm not sure if the investment in a Hassey and its lenses are going to be realistically feasible, given the high costs involved.

    If you are so concerned about the shutter noise, better go for a point and snap like everyone suggests.
    Well, some stuff that I cover requires me to be as silent as possible. I'm checking to see what's on the market and whether it's justifyable to procure such a setup.

    If not, at least, I've got the figures and facts to back me up.


    --

    When you say that I'll know when the H series shutter fires, do you mean that it's "loud". Sorry, not initiated into the MF or the LF cameras.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

    just wear ear plugs cheapest soln..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •