Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: will you buy a fungus lens?

  1. #1

    Default will you buy a fungus lens?

    i not sure it been discuss b4, but can't find a thread on it.. So just wondering how many would buy a fungus lens....the reason i ask is becos you can get 60-70% off the original price.. what say you?

    let say a fungus nikon 17-55, cost $ 850 ...


    fungus : it still works well and wont affect the photo

  2. #2

    Default Re: will you buy a lens with fungus?

    i dun think fungus got any lens to sell

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: will you buy a lens with fungus?

    typically fungus does not affect the pic quality unless the fungus situation is extreme. for those expensive f2.8 lens (non 3rd party), you might as well start enjoying the discount and shoot great pics instead worrying about the fungus. 17-55 with fungus at $850? but it. send it for cleaning typically if you must.

  4. #4

    Default Re: will you buy a lens with fungus?

    sigh~! my mistake.. is lens with fungus .. got it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Nope. For me, the glass must be clean and the lens must be mechanically in perfect working condition.

    HOWEVER, it all also depends on the price, lah. If after factoring in cost of cleaning and still good deal, why not?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  6. #6
    Member edfck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    213

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    hell no.... fungus will grow. even if lens hv got thru servicing, it will never b as gd as b4. to me pic quality is v important.

  7. #7

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    p.s forget bout the 60-70% off.. it just an example...

  8. #8

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    i would buy the lens with fungus if it gives me the optical effects i want, a flare or uneven colour tone, a desautrated colour with some signature softness.

    Think of it as a special effect lens rather than your defacto lens unless you like all your images to have that feel.

    Go for it, if it makes your images!

  9. #9

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Why not. I will pay at most 60% of the secondhand price in the market. Nothing more than that.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Simei
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    i will. its much cheaper.. play with it while you can, since it doen't affect the optical quality. If you really mind, send it for cleaning

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    if it is cheap enough, why not
    use it as a special effect lens

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    I think I've purchase over 20 fungus filled lenses over the last 2 years, they all work fine. Just have to make sure the electronics are functioning properly (if any) as they tend to be more expensive to fix compared to replacing fungus infected elements.

  13. #13

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    for a 17=55 f2.8 at 850. i'll probably buy with out thinking. lol then spend a lil more to clean it up. and then resale still can make a lil out of it leh.

  14. #14

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by gernie
    i not sure it been discuss b4, but can't find a thread on it.. So just wondering how many would buy a fungus lens....the reason i ask is becos you can get 60-70% off the original price.. what say you?

    let say a fungus nikon 17-55, cost $ 850 ...


    fungus : it still works well and wont affect the photo

    If fungus don't affect image quality, especially near to the side of the lens, it is ok.... great discount.. buy it.

    I don't mind small fungus... 95% of the time it won't do anything, just at certain angle it might cause flare but the chance is very very low.

    Hart

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    From what i gathered from the internet (here and there):

    1. Fungus can eat away the expensive lens coatings, which is the reason for the high price of the lens in the first place. Cleaning away the fungus does NOT restore the coatings. They are gone forever. The infected elements can be replaced though.

    2. Fungus spores are very tough and can hibernate for years. Putting the lens in a dry cab does not kill the fungus; it only inhibits the growth for the time being.

    3. Fungus spores can spread from lens to camera, and from camera to the other lenses. You can potentially infect all your lenses.

    i'm not a fungus-expert, and cannot verify or disprove the above. However, i stay away from fungus lenses, whatever the price.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    843

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    From what i gathered from the internet (here and there):

    1. Fungus can eat away the expensive lens coatings, which is the reason for the high price of the lens in the first place. Cleaning away the fungus does NOT restore the coatings. They are gone forever. The infected elements can be replaced though.

    2. Fungus spores are very tough and can hibernate for years. Putting the lens in a dry cab does not kill the fungus; it only inhibits the growth for the time being.

    3. Fungus spores can spread from lens to camera, and from camera to the other lenses. You can potentially infect all your lenses.

    i'm not a fungus-expert, and cannot verify or disprove the above. However, i stay away from fungus lenses, whatever the price.
    and it might infect your hygiene as the spores can spread into your house too..

    seriously, I bought a lens with fungus, sent it out for cleaning.. I found that even after cleaning the fungus left a light white shade on the glass.. however it did not impact the pictures..

  17. #17

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by akdwivedi
    and it might infect your hygiene as the spores can spread into your house too..

    seriously, I bought a lens with fungus, sent it out for cleaning.. I found that even after cleaning the fungus left a light white shade on the glass.. however it did not impact the pictures..

    spores are everywhere

  18. #18

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    Can buy it and send it for cleaning. Quality would not effect much, but bec the coating has been 'eaten' away, the lens is more suseptable to flaring and ghostings.

  19. #19

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    I got a old Nikkor P.C. 105mm f/2.5 which was left in a cupboard for many years 10-15 odd. The rear element was horribily infected but had it sent for cleaning. Fungus inside got cleared by it left small white powdery marks on the rear element. It was supposed to be a really expensive portraiture lens that produced really sharp pictures. Still, with the rear element in such a condition, its still really really sharp. The picture quality seems not to be affected at all. If I had such a opportunity to get such lens so cheap, why not? Unless the fungus is too horrible that the lens has turned translucent.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  20. #20

    Default Re: will you buy a fungus lens?

    use picasa "im feeling lucky" will fix all problems

    no kidding

    see this is diff (considering my 400mm got haze inside...)

    before(quite jialat...)


    after "im feeling lucky"
    Last edited by dr34mc4st3r; 12th September 2006 at 08:45 PM.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •