Thread: Do I need to calibrate my LCD display?

Default Do I need to calibrate my LCD display?

I am comtemplating to purchase a LCD display calibration device. However, I am not sure if it will solve my current issue. Appreciate any advise to help me out on this.

I am using a mid-range DSLR with a 2.5" 230k pixel LCD. I like the color I see on the camera LCD. I also like the color I see on my LCD (Viewsonic) at home. They appear to me the same color and I like both. When printing on the Canon printer, the color is a little off. So I guess the advice is to calibrate the LCD since I am using the default Canon printer profile which should be "correct".

1. If both the LCD (camera and display) has the same color, why would I want to calibrate the LCD display?
    2. If the LCD display is indeed "not calibrated", then how both LCD on the camera and display look the same to me?
    3. If I calibrate the LCD display and finally it matches the print, it may not be the same as the camera LCD color. What should I do? Since we usually trust the camera LCD to determine if we need to make any adjustment to the color, saturation, etc when shooting.

Of course some will say we should not trust our eyes and should leave the calibration to the proper tool. I am just wondering if the color on the camera LCD and display will be different after the calibration and which one should we trust.

Default Re: Do I need to calibrate my LCD display?

my point of view:

-never trust what you see on your Camera LCD 100%.
    -calibrate your computer LCD as best as possible (given budget and everything else). reason being it should be an unbiased source (based on a uniform standard)
    -using a s/w like photoshop, you can proof your printer profile... if final output is print, colour correct a copy for that... your printer cannot match the colour space range of your monitor.
    Last edited by alexj; 12th September 2006 at 05:44 AM.

Upper Bukit Timah

my 2 cents worth:

- camera LCD and default LCD/monitor displays show what's most pleasing to the eye, whereas printers print out 'true' colour. printers cannot determine what's best. it's controlled by input via computer.

sadly it would be difficult to replicate exactly what you see on the LCD onto what you print unless you calibrate your LCD based on yr printing.

-calibration is necessary for accurate printing. however, you do not need to waste money on calibration devices that may cost quite abit of greenback. goto and download a printer test image. print it, then adjust your lcd based on that print.

hope this helps. heh.

I'm a Llama!

I'll echo the views on the camera lcd display.

What may be pleasing to your eye may not be the true representation of the actual gamut of colors. The suggestion to calibrate your screen with a Mk I eyeball is what a lot of users would do but for proper calibration, a dedicated calibration system like X-Rite or EyeOne Display would suit your needs better.

Generic printer profiles are only somewhat effective. Best to go for a custom profile of your own printer with your own paper. There will be differences in QC and the variations produced by the same printer of the same make will be obvious. The same goes for paper, different paper stock of the same make will likely have some minute differences in ink absorbtion rates, resulting in a different look even if using the same inks and printer.

Lastly, I'll like to point out your remark about trusting the camera LCD to make adjustments to color parameters. The LCD is used as a guide only and proper color manipulation should be based on the color histogram if you insist on using the in-camera tools. The LCD does lie too you know?

suggestion tips :-

use SPYDER to calibrate the lcd/crt monitor to get best result out of it