Thread: Help!! - Fill flash over exposes all my pictures

Default Help!! - Fill flash over exposes all my pictures

I have a problem, my flash strobe always seems to overexpose my pictures when I put it in fill-flash. I am currently using a Minolta 700si with a 5400xi flash. I have been using this set up for quite a while and have noticed that its been like that for all these times. I have to manually correct the firing distance most of the time so that it will not send the subjects looking like ghosts!!

My question is if there is anything wrong with the TTL metering? Is it normal for it to be like that?

Sounds like your TTL is screwed and the flash fired full power all the time.

Regards
    CK

That sounds very bad... how much do u reckon it would cost to fix it??.. Does the problem most likely lie with the camera or the flash gun itself??

Originally posted by nivlekx
    That sounds very bad... how much do u reckon it would cost to fix it??.. Does the problem most likely lie with the camera or the flash gun itself??
    Can be either, check with Minolta.

Regards
    CK

Right... Thanx alot Ckiang...
    Been most helpful...
    Cheers...

A bit late for my reply. Just curious whether you used slides or prints. It is easier to know whether the flash gun is going haywire by taking slides and viewing it. If you are using prints, it's a bit hard to tell, because the printer might have try to get the background picture to be in correct exposure and resulting in your subject being "burned" out. This is due to the big different in exposure stop between the background and the subject. If you do use slides already, you can judge whether the subject is in correct exposure with the flash or not. Even if the background looks dark in the picture, this is nothing to worry about. You can always "drop" your exposure by tuning to say 1/15 f5.6 for better ambient light and a fast film say ASA 400. It should work fine if the different between ambient light and flash is not too much different. Hope I answered your question.

vince123123
    Guests

was using a 700si and HS5400 as well long ago and found hte same problem as what you have. try switching to centre weighted metering instead of matrix and make sure its in TTL and not manual mode for the flash.

if it still doesn't help, then dial in -0.3 or -0.7 flash compensation

cheers!