View Poll Results: Going Back to film

Voters
560. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    315 56.25%
  • No, staying digital.

    245 43.75%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 272

Thread: Going Back to Film

  1. #121

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Who will buy second hand F5 for < S$1,000 ? Where to buy F6 ? I heard it works with SB800.

  2. #122

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Started out as film P&S shooter in the days before digital became prevalent, went to digital P&S, digital SLR, now coming back to film SLR.

    Medium format is awesome. Love my Pentax645 and have a Bronica SQ-B on the way.

    There is something incredibly shiok about handling a large, medium format Velvia or Provia 100 slide. Not really a big fan of color negatives. B&W negs are nice though.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Started out as film user. Been using digital for more than 5 years, currently have a FZ18. I will be dipping into film again with my Holga. It’s a scary thought, very used to digital. I guess I will continue to use both for different purposes.

  4. #124

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by CasualSnaper View Post
    does D/o $4.00 include 36 4R prints or just developing the negative? ruby suggest to develop small index print for extra $6 on top of developing negative. but i pass. I had tried those 0.15 per 4R print once. really sucks. $17 is for 1 row. I dug out my only iso 800 to ask for the cost. now it is still in my bag.

    how do see the negative without print ?
    Ah, I see why. If you print out ALL 36 photos then that's the usual price. Try to develop and SCAN in the negs at the lab, it's much cheaper that way. I have a film scanner so I don't have to pay for scanning or printing. Actually, I develop and scan in my own film and am looking into rolling my own film saving even more cost.
    f/8 and be there.

  5. #125
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    If you factor in the printing cost (assuming it's 4R) and also the mounting of the slides, then the cost is more or less even out. It's just a preference of viewing from projector or viewing on print. Prints are much easier to share.

    Cheers,

  6. #126

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Bought my dream cam a Nikon F3 few months back. Have tried few rolls film+chrome. Enjoy the feeling very much.
    Hope there is an outing for film user, shooting & sharing at the same time, how nice.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Chen View Post
    Bought my dream cam a Nikon F3 few months back. Have tried few rolls film+chrome. Enjoy the feeling very much.
    Hope there is an outing for film user, shooting & sharing at the same time, how nice.


    Let me know too if anyone organizing outing for film users!

  8. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NTU hostel
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by gohaj View Post
    Let me know too if anyone organizing outing for film users!
    Count me in too, glad to see still so many film shooters there, ups for film outing
    My Flickr Gallary,Welcome!
    135L since APR 5, 2008

  9. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    hmm. i shoot both digital and film.

    BUT. after i shoot film, i scan the pics into my com. so does it still count as shooting film? also, if i do print my film shot photos, i do it digitally.

    SO. my question is, would you consider me a film-ee or a digital-ee?

    anyway, do you people shoot more B&W or colour film?

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sydney/Singapore
    Posts
    360

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    yeah shooting in film den scanning it wld be considered film in my opinion cos the type of film you used would affect the quality of the pictures in a huge way. post processing/archiving it in digital format really just makes it more convenient for us all in the digital age that we live in today.

  11. #131

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    dump all your film stuff to me!

    haha

    i guess film really helps alot in your skill.. thats what real photography is about.
    i recently had seen slides from my friend's collection, which really blew me away.. thats something digital really cannot match..

    i think for about 10 years from now, there will be a change yet again, the film revolution, where film will be the high class thing.. just like many people are brining back old stuff and make it chic again..

    So if u guys think digital is still the way to go, think again..

  12. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    i think for about 10 years from now, there will be a change yet again, the film revolution, where film will be the high class thing.. just like many people are brining back old stuff and make it chic again...
    Provided if the equipment still works...

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore land
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Provided if the equipment still works...
    I started off with film and bought my secondhand FM2n 3 yrs ago. Since then i had moved to digital 2 yrs ago with a nikon d70 after using it for 1 yr i decide to give it up cos i find digital killing all the fun of photography cos the thinking work has been removed that is why i sold my d70 away. Now i am back on film and black and white only. Along the way i have a few digital P&S which spoiled after about a year or so, but my fm2n still shoot like 3 yrs ago.

    So what do u think? i think the answer to your comment is a no brainer.

  14. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Ng View Post
    So what do u think? i think the answer to your comment is a no brainer.
    Let me know if your FM2n still works 30 years down the road. Even if it still works, I don't think there's anymore servicing parts for it. Can you fix that all by yourself?

  15. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore land
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Let me know if your FM2n still works 30 years down the road. Even if it still works, I don't think there's anymore servicing parts for it. Can you fix that all by yourself?
    You don't have to check with me for this to happen. It had already happen to most of the nikon F mechanical cameras. You are still able to get parts after 30 yrs. Now why not try getting parts for nikon FE the electronics board camera, if u can find good winder parts let me know cos i know of a friend who have difficulty looking for parts to replace. Mechanical camera will not be a problem for most parts as most will survive for a long long time. 30 yrs is nothing to most of them.

    But looking back at digital camera, i am sure u will have problem getting obselete PCB board for them after 30 yrs. that is almost confirm.

    I think the main problem with most camera owners now is that the digital cameras that they are holding got depreciated a lot after just a few months of using as new models comes out. I face the same problem. I bought my D70 new last time at a price of 2200 SGD . After only a year and a half of using, i only manage to sell mine at 900 dollars, which is a 1300 SGD drop in value. My trusty nikon fm valuation drop is half but due to the initial cost of it is low the difference is not that bad.

    Sorry, this writting has become more like the advantage of old manual camera to new digi camera. I think i should stop here. That said, having a digi is good in that sharing on the net can be a lot faster and easier.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    In my opinion, i think mechanical camera will work even after years if proper care is taken. No need to worry about age. You will probably need CLA if it is not used for a long time. Having owned quite a number of mechanical cameras, which was produced in the 70s, it still works well now. Look at Rolleiflex, Leica etc they are still running strong. Even cheap cameras like Fed and Zorki, they still works like a charm after 30+ to 40 yrs since they left the factory.

    I am not sure if i can bring in vinyl records (LPs) as a comparison. Though the technology came out in the 60s, till now you still can find the parts. Also LPs does not suffer from CD rot. If fungus grows on the LP, give it a scrub, and it will be back as new.

    We perceive things in the analog domain thus we should be shooting in the analog domain.

  17. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Gone back to film after 5 years of digital pixel peeping and chimping. Enjoying photography much more now. Only pulling out the digicam P&S when there's a need for digital. Dslrs getting moldy.

    Realised that after taking 20,000 dslr shots and 3 dslrs later, most of the shots are rubbish and tests (because it doesnt cost extra to fire off another 100 shots). Actually printed less than 300 pictures over the entire period. No paper based photos for children to keep in the future. Now am forced to get prints since I'm mainly shooting color negative film. At least have something to look at if my HD crashes and DVD backups go bad.

    Poor quality lab processing is the real cause for killing film use. Digital cameras only accelerate the process.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    hi, im newbie in photograpahy anyway i just bought Canon 450D and several EF and EFs lenses,
    is there any Film SLR that i can buy that can uses the lenses i have and not too expensive ?
    cause i also want to try shooting film,
    thank you,
    Sony A6000 | SEL16F28|SELP16-50|SEL55-210|SEL35F18|

  19. #139

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    EF-S cannot be used on film SLR, period. Not without some creative 'reengineering' involving a hacksaw to remove parts of the lens. Not recommended for the faint of heart

    Try a Canon Elan - any model will work with your EF lenses. Forget the film Rebel series... not worth it IMO.

    Also if you folks can, try medium format...... once I got the Pentax 645 of my dreams, I basically abandoned 35mm film.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Going Back to Film

    Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Ng View Post
    You don't have to check with me for this to happen. It had already happen to most of the nikon F mechanical cameras. You are still able to get parts after 30 yrs. Now why not try getting parts for nikon FE the electronics board camera, if u can find good winder parts let me know cos i know of a friend who have difficulty looking for parts to replace. Mechanical camera will not be a problem for most parts as most will survive for a long long time. 30 yrs is nothing to most of them.

    But looking back at digital camera, i am sure u will have problem getting obselete PCB board for them after 30 yrs. that is almost confirm.

    I think the main problem with most camera owners now is that the digital cameras that they are holding got depreciated a lot after just a few months of using as new models comes out. I face the same problem. I bought my D70 new last time at a price of 2200 SGD . After only a year and a half of using, i only manage to sell mine at 900 dollars, which is a 1300 SGD drop in value. My trusty nikon fm valuation drop is half but due to the initial cost of it is low the difference is not that bad.

    Sorry, this writting has become more like the advantage of old manual camera to new digi camera. I think i should stop here. That said, having a digi is good in that sharing on the net can be a lot faster and easier.
    ever tried P&G Photographic for parts??? anyway... which film is the ideal one for landscape... so far i only used reala 100, superia 200 and xtra 400...
    Canon 30D + 24-70 F2.8

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •