560. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

315 56.25%
  • No, staying digital.

245 43.75%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back to Film

Default Re: Going Back to Film

We are still in a period of "Why go back to film? That's backwards!" mentality.
    Perhaps it is because we have just outgrown the emulsion century, and have moved on towards the digital age.
    Too soon to look back, yet?

In the future i believe there will still be film shooters, simply for the reason of nostalgia.

Similar to that of those who still believe in pens and papers when writing a story (even if a computer is beside you), or those who still keep a pocketwatch whereever they go instead of having a super precise digital watch.

I think film is more for slower pace people nowadays. Unlike digital for faster pace people.
    Moreover, 135 format digital noise control & overall performance are getting better & better each time. So, what I think is that for those (hobbyist) who still shoot film (nowadays) will go to higher film format instead of remaining at the 35mm film era.
    We can also see that even at the european market, 120 format film is still a welcome to them. They even improved the quality/technology of those 120 format films too. But, for 135 format, I think it's still more for movie makers nowadays. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thks.
    Anyway, I just speaking through my personal POV only. Hope no offend in one way or the other. Have fun & cheers to photography.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 25th December 2008 at 11:25 AM.

Started out with Minolta Dynax Xi, moved to DSLR via P&S, got a BIG RED Holga CFN before Christmas and shot off 12 rolls mixed B&W/Colour. Negs and contact prints will be back on Tuesday ... the unknown quality of the resulting lomo images is both exciting and worrying, but something which prompted more understanding of the whole process.

MF next probably.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

i'm thinking of going into film because i have access to a darkroom for free now!

I miss films....

Now, no more brand new film camera either....

I started off with Canon EOS88.... moved on to 300X, and 400D.....

I still find film is so much more fun than digital... you never know what you shoot will be until you view the picture.....

Sigh.... those were the days...
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

I am surpised to see such high numbers wanting to go back to film. I have been the "no digital for me" guy until last year. Having experienced the convenience and efficiency of digital, I would say there is no turning back. Even a hard core has taken the path of the dark side . . .

I've gone film and I would say there is no turning back

Sort of....

haha
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I started off with film, and I love it, I have been shooting film for a year and a half, and I simply want to shoot more, probably some 120 film as well once I have a fixed income

It's a pity that there is no film outing, sigh
    My Flickr Gallary,Welcome!
    135L since APR 5, 2008

Giving the equipment that I own. I got no choice but to shoot film... I have digital camera but I still prefer shooting film when travel to another country or doing my own shoot... as for my clients I still choose digital and a film as back up...
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by freebsdntu View Post
    I started off with film, and I love it, I have been shooting film for a year and a half, and I simply want to shoot more, probably some 120 film as well once I have a fixed income

It's a pity that there is no film outing, sigh
    Go for it, you will enjoy the whole "120" process. R u developing yourself?

Film outing ... take film cam to ANY outing, no-one will mind, or are you looking for film only outings?

Started off with film because i couldn't afford a dslr, after 2 dslr bodies and an array of lenses, im back into film again... I've always felt digital lacking a certain kinda feel, or being too clinically clean for my taste. For macro, i'll still use digital (more room for error), but for personal pieces, still prefer to use film.

Its the indescribable feeling of not knowing the result of the previous frame, the careful composition before each shot, the anticipation of waiting for processing and the surprise when you find out unexpected results.

I continued with 35 film...then learnt how to develop my own bw film (cut costs), printed my first print in the darkroom, ventured into 120 format and loving it now.

I must say the journey has been a very fulfilling one so far, i want all my precious memories recorded in film. At least that's the story for me.
    Last edited by Shawn; 8th February 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Nostalgia abound on Film.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Go for it, you will enjoy the whole "120" process. R u developing yourself?

Film outing ... take film cam to ANY outing, no-one will mind, or are you looking for film only outings?
    Yes, I would definitely go for 120(6*6 format specifically) some time, and I have been thinking of which one to get, Rolleiflex is too expensive for me, for the lower-ends brands, I am not sure which one is decent.

I don't develop film myself, I always send the film to Konota or Ruby, which btw has cost me a lot for the past one and a half years.

I meant the film only outing
    135L since APR 5, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by freebsdntu View Post
    Yes, I would definitely go for 120(6*6 format specifically) some time, and I have been thinking of which one to get, Rolleiflex is too expensive for me, for the lower-ends brands, I am not sure which one is decent.

I don't develop film myself, I always send the film to Konota or Ruby, which btw has cost me a lot for the past one and a half years.

I meant the film only outing
    You can try out the cheapest which is the seagull, or something mid-range that is the yashica-mat.

You should try developing yourself, the chemicals are easy to get, and plus cost of equipment will prob cost aroun 120 in total. And you'll get much better results than the labs like ruby, konota, triple D, ive sent my bw film to them before and the results have been less than satisfactory, not acceptable compared to my self developed results.

Give it a try! if u have more questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 0200903C View Post
    You can try out the cheapest which is the seagull, or something mid-range that is the yashica-mat.

You should try developing yourself, the chemicals are easy to get, and plus cost of equipment will prob cost aroun 120 in total. And you'll get much better results than the labs like ruby, konota, triple D, ive sent my bw film to them before and the results have been less than satisfactory, not acceptable compared to my self developed results.

Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Glad to meet another film user keep burning film! hehe.

Thank you so much for your kind reply, 0200903C.

Yes, I've been thinking of Yashica-mat 124G.

For the development, I have thought it once and I almost bought it from Ruby, and now since you have mentioned it, I am thinking about it again

Just a quick question, are all those recommended by the Ruby uncle must-buy? I am still a poor student, so it would be great if I can go for the lowest-budget
    135L since APR 5, 2008

Glad to meet another film user keep burning film! hehe.
    Yes, glad to know that I am not alone here

There should be a film-shooter gathering or outing
    135L since APR 5, 2008

Not really..all you need is:

Equiptment:

1 developing tank 30 smthing (Ruby)
    1 dark bag 30 smthing (Ruby)
    2 measuring jugs (bought from ikea)
    1 thermometer-cum-timer (ikiea)
    1 stringe

chems:

Developer: Kodak HC-110, long lasting when used as a one shot developer (Ruby)
    Fixer: Ilford Rapid Fixer (Ruby) <-- u can reuse the fixer many times, so its saves costs too!
    Stopbath: Water (free)
    Photoflo (Ruby)

Not really..all you need is:

Equiptment:

1 developing tank 30 smthing (Ruby)
    1 dark bag 30 smthing (Ruby)
    2 measuring jugs (bought from ikea)
    1 thermometer-cum-timer (ikiea)
    1 stringe

chems:

Developer: Kodak HC-110, long lasting when used as a one shot developer (Ruby)
    Fixer: Ilford Rapid Fixer (Ruby) <-- u can reuse the fixer many times, so its saves costs too!
    Stopbath: Water (free)
    Photoflo (Ruby)
    A DIY frame for inside dark bag to make it into a tent works really well for me. Makes it easier loading negs onto rolls.
    Add negative clips for hanging them during drying
    Film Scanner if u want to view & touch-up shots before printing
    Cloth, blower and fine brush for cleaning scanner glass and negs
    Negative storage pouches & binder (or filing cabinet if u have volume)
    Can use mama (dishwashing liquid) to replace the Photoflo, gives even drying and no watermarks on negs.

With the few additions... in all I paid about 400 for whole setup, including good scanner.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast