Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Which Wide Angle to Buy?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where mutant dugongs vormit
    Posts
    270

    Question Which Wide Angle to Buy?

    Looking to buy one. Narrowed to a Sigma 15-30mm, Nikkor 18-35mm.
    I wanted the Sigma for it's 15mm but can't screw on filter. Whilst the Nikkor is slightly cheaper and allows screw on, but t 18. There's also a Sigma 17-35 one...

    Or any1 w/ any other suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Are you using film or DSLR?

    For 18-35mm, I know there is quite a fair bit of barrel distortion at the 18mm end. If you are using DSLR, not so much as the DSLR only used the centre of the lens.

    Tokina 20-35/2.8 and 24-40/2.8 bit acept screw in filter too.

    Maybe you want to consider prime lens too.

    P.s. I thought sigma lens accapt screw-in filter? It's 82mm I think.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where mutant dugongs vormit
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    Are you using film or DSLR?

    For 18-35mm, I know there is quite a fair bit of barrel distortion at the 18mm end. If you are using DSLR, not so much as the DSLR only used the centre of the lens.

    Tokina 20-35/2.8 and 24-40/2.8 bit acept screw in filter too.

    Maybe you want to consider prime lens too.

    P.s. I thought sigma lens accapt screw-in filter? It's 82mm I think.
    I'm planning on using on film SLR. Oh ya, read about the distortion at 18 for the nikkor.

    the 15-30 can only accept at 30mm. Otherwise u have to use gel drop ins. I was concerned with this cos of like UV filter and I wanted a polariser, but some1 mention polariser at so wide will only cos more darkening. So I'm perplexed here. argh!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by lyrrad


    I'm planning on using on film SLR. Oh ya, read about the distortion at 18 for the nikkor.

    the 15-30 can only accept at 30mm. Otherwise u have to use gel drop ins. I was concerned with this cos of like UV filter and I wanted a polariser, but some1 mention polariser at so wide will only cos more darkening. So I'm perplexed here. argh!
    Polariser is not suitable for wide angle lens if u wanna include lots of sky. The colour tone of the sky will be uneven.

    If u need to choose between sigma and nikkor, I will tkae nikon lens due to the colour and saturation it produces. If you are thinking of selling it later, nikon lens will be easier to sell and with less ldepreciation.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where mutant dugongs vormit
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto


    Polariser is not suitable for wide angle lens if u wanna include lots of sky. The colour tone of the sky will be uneven.

    If u need to choose between sigma and nikkor, I will tkae nikon lens due to the colour and saturation it produces. If you are thinking of selling it later, nikon lens will be easier to sell and with less ldepreciation.

    Hope this helps.
    Are u saying that polariser doesn't work well at wide angles? At wat 'mm' is it too wide that the polariser won't work well?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by lyrrad


    Are u saying that polariser doesn't work well at wide angles? At wat 'mm' is it too wide that the polariser won't work well?
    At what mm, I am not too sure. Anything less than 50mm is consider wide for film camera. I have personally used polariser with 28mm. You got to take note of the sky tone.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where mutant dugongs vormit
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I have decided NOT to get the Sigma 15-30mm, huge like deenosaur!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •