Thread: Another *Lucky Draw* scam...

Thumbs down Another *Lucky Draw* scam...

Hi all,

received a phone call this afternoon claiming I've won a lucky draw ranging from $1500-3000 of travel products after I answer these 3 questions:

a) Which mode of payment do i usually use to pay for my shopping
    b) How much do me and my husband earn in a month - above or below 5k?
    c) What sort of credit card I have? Visa or Master or Amex

I found the caller shady but she did not give me a chance to ask questions. After I answered the 3 questions, she said my husband and I have to turn up at Shaw House this Sunday afternoon, listen to a talk from 2.30pm to 5pm and I can walk away with the prizes (Choose 1):

a) $1500 internet shopping vouchers (to buy prada,she said)
    b) 50% off hotel-cruises (dunno what she meant by that)
    c) 7 nights' free stay at an overseas timeshare property (for a family of 5)

I remembered we were once coerced to attend a time-share talk at Shaw House so I interrupted her and questioned her which company she's from. She answered, 'OT Travel'. I told her I dunno such a company, she said they are the publicity company of Chan Brothers/Nam Ho/SA Tours etc and I won their prize at a travel fair. I know this must be another of those hardsell time-share tactics and I turned her offer down. The lady then turned aggressive and demanded to know why I don't want the prize. She tried to persuade me to take the prize but said I must pay for the delivery/courier charge of $75! I politely rejected again only to have her slammed down the phone.

Since there are a couple of such scams going around, thought I just post this here to warn fellow CSers so that you won't fall for their 'trap'. There's no such thing as a free lunch in this world. Moreover, most of the time, if we really had won in a lucky draw, we'll not be receiving a phonecall, more an official letter from the organizers!
    Last edited by pixie_genie; 8th September 2006 at 05:31 PM.

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Another *Lucky Draw* scam...

I think its getting out of hand recently..
    I received one call yesterday too..tat fellow even got my IC no. and home address..kind of worried. I just rejected everything he has to offer..I didn't even remember taking part in any contest..

How do we safeguard our particulars? How did they get all this information?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

My friend got exactly the same kind of call today too, around 12+ pm. Also from the same "OT Travel". Was asked the same questions, got the same prizes, blah, blah, blah.

I always received this kind of calls.
    They most probly gotten your info from those Lucky draw slips you filled in
    that held by shopping center, event like Comex, etc..
    If you had any recently..

My SOP for dealing with them is to ask them:

1) Their name (full name)
    2) Company they are working for (and whats their link with other companys they mention)
    3) Address for their company
    4) Contact number for their company, or number that can be used to contact them.
    5) Which lucky draw specifically was it

Usually they will talk in a hurry such and ask questions one after another, so have to stop them, and ask them the questions. Would be good to pause after each question to actually write down the answers (or at least SEEM to be writing down their replies).

If they follow through evreything, you can tell them not interested, and not be afraid of them pestering you because you are no longer totally unknown of who are what they are. They usually hang up though.

cheers

I kena so many times already that nowadays I don't need to talk so much.

I just tell them (nicely), thanks, but please donate my "prize" to someone else.

*click*
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Do you guys find that there are more and more scams coming out??? Not only from the net, now it even extends to our handphone living address... this is getting out of hand...

Aiyah, got the same call as well around noon today. Guy claiming I won $3K and that I got to show up at Shaw House on Sunday. I then asked him if they were giving out the prize in cash. No deal, so I told him he can donate "my prize" to charity. Conversation went no further.

if u want to keep it short.

say
    1) donote my prize to NKF
    2) i'm a bankrupt

or keep it really short, just hang up the phone.

keep it real short...

simply... ask her out for a date lor...

then ask her if she's free to do a TFCD.

then post her fotos here for c&c... followed by organising model shoot!

in true CS fashion and spirit!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

jus answer...no/cancelled credit cards to the 3rd question... immediately, they'll lose interest.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

I like to play around with them telling them about my life story inclusive of added backgrounds like my family lineage, usually they put down first.

The last time the telemarketer called me.
    I got her to call me back again during her free time.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    The last time the telemarketer called me.
    I got her to call me back again during her free time.

Wow, score!

Tell them that you are really interested but have to catch a flight and please call at 10PM

Give them an overseas number. Bankrupt the ba5tards

Hehehehehe
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    keep it real short...

simply... ask her out for a date lor...

then ask her if she's free to do a TFCD.

then post her fotos here for c&c... followed by organising model shoot!

in true CS fashion and spirit!
    Power idea... Bring her to your favourite OCH for the shoot... best at night

Be warned of OT travel. They were already in the (bad) press recently, known to lock people in a room for 2hr talk and no external communication or departure permissible.

I had attended several high key social events and not one disallowed me to leave the premise for 2 straight hrs. I was allowed to sms or to leave the hall to attend to urgent calls in those events but OT made it clear to me that their rules do not allow people to leave the room or to ans any call. I chose not to participate in the talk and to collect the x-thousand $ prizes because it did not sound right.

I turned them down repeatedly and the lady (named Jeanette) eventually started calling my home past 11pm. i had no clue how she got my home number either. She even questioned my maid why my schedule had no priority to collect a lucky draw prize and attend a very impt meeting? She became a real pain in the as since my privacy had been violated by this sick animal.

Good suggestion to TFCD them.... but... i don't think these sales ladies have the right assets to begin with. They are a bunch of souless haggard & basterised housewives who love to nag for a living. I prefer shooting clubsnap beauties anytime.
    Last edited by contaxable; 10th September 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable
    but... i don't think these sales ladies have the right assets to begin with. They are a bunch of souless haggard & basterised housewives who love to nag for a living. I prefer shooting clubsnap beauties anytime.
    Actually...