Thread: What are .xmp files for?

Default What are .xmp files for?

Hi gurus,
    I notice sometimes I have files with the same prefix name but different suffixes (eg. _DSC0001.nef and _DSC0001.xmp). Not all files have accompanying .xmp files. What's the use of the .xmp file and under what situation will it appears?
    TIA

Blog Entries

Default Re: What are .xmp files for?

Quote Originally Posted by chankp
    Hi gurus,
    I notice sometimes I have files with the same prefix name but different suffixes (eg. _DSC0001.nef and _DSC0001.xmp). Not all files have accompanying .xmp files. What's the use of the .xmp file and under what situation will it appears?
    TIA
    .xmp files are metadata, when you label an image or give an image a rating in Photoshop CS a .xmp file will be created. Just remove this file and you will find your rating or label for the particular images gone. Similarly if you remove the label or rating in PS CS you will notice that the .xmp files are gone in your folder.

Blog Entries

As this topic is not Nikon related I will move it to the correct forum

.xmp files will also appear if you convert from RAW. They store the settings that you used (exposure, WB, contrast, etc.) that you used during the conversion. If you remove them then you'll have to redo your settings again if you want to convert the same files again.