i am sure many of us have noticed in recent days how much singapore has been transformed.
1) the road otuside suntec city has been tarred over. before that, it was just white metal plates that made your car rock about as you drive over it. according to reports, the tar will be stripped off once the IMF-WB is over.
2) outiside marina square new plants have been planted. the whole landscape has been spruced up totally.
3) outside The Adelphi and supreme court, plants also have been planted and new tar and paint on the roads
4) the zoo and bird park have been renovated in time for the IMF-WB
5) staff are suddenly more friendly around the marina-suntec-city hall area.
6) the whole of mandai road has been re-tarred because of the zoo. prior to this, it was a bumpy road with potholes all over.
7) we launched the 4 million smiles campaign. we can't even smile at our fellow singaporeans but we are expected to smile to foreigners?
8) as a last point, let me relate my experience today at the running lab at funan. i was in the shop with a caucasian. i was totally unattended to and had to call for the salesgirl. when she came, she lacked initiative, and didn't offer much information about shoes. 5 meteres away, her male colleague was busy attending to the caucasian customer, explaining to him the features and usage of a product. i didnt even bother feeling sick about it because i'm so used to seeing this.
does it take foreign visitors to singapore before we can put on our best behaviour? does it go to say that we singaporeans don't care and don't matter to each other? i'm just puzzled here. the 4 million smiles campaign was aimed at foreigners. so it means that singaporeans don't need to be smiled at or treated well in shops?
what do you all think?