Thread: Tv

Default Tv

Is there any noticable difference in viewing a TV that is 50Hz and 100Hz in Singapore for local channels? Anyone experienced the two?

Supposedly, when you playback dvd its clearer.

Originally posted by Zplus
    Supposedly, when you playback dvd its clearer.
    what about watching local channels, ch5.

Originally posted by maddog

what about watching local channels, ch5.
    we're supposed to be using hires tv already.. announced like 2 years back..
    but, like broadband, the speed or quality here, is half here n there...
    but I use cable head so got interference too...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

If you're speaking from the scientific point of view, there should not be a diff.

The human eye receives images at 24Hz. Which is why we never notice the refresh rate of our monitors or tv screens as long as you don't set it below 24Hz.

Not sure about local channels. But 100hz supposed to have less flicker. Esp if you view still images or near still images. I only went to see demo coz though of buying it at one time. Low on $$ so settle for something less.

I suppose if you connect your PC to the TV, then it might be quite useful.

Originally posted by rayman
    If you're speaking from the scientific point of view, there should not be a diff.

The human eye receives images at 24Hz. Which is why we never notice the refresh rate of our monitors or tv screens as long as you don't set it below 24Hz.
    I think the human eye does not have "frame rate" like you described. What makes a light flickering at 50 Hz or a monitor screen refreshed at 50 Hz look steadily on to us is because of an effect called "persistence of vision".

The duration of persistence of vision varies form person to person, so some people can actually see the flickering of a 50 Hz screen while some cannot.

As for the 24 fps standard that movies use, earlier studies shown that a 15 fps minimum frame rate is necessary for the perception of smooth motion.

So to answer maddog's question, I believe it depends on individual. Technically, there should be an improvement in the perception of image quality. Just like some people cannot tell any difference (in sound) between high end and consumer grade audio equipment even though technically the high end audio equipment produces much better audio in terms of distortion and transient response.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by roygoh

I think the human eye does not have "frame rate" like you described. What makes a light flickering at 50 Hz or a monitor screen refreshed at 50 Hz look steadily on to us is because of an effect called "persistence of vision".

The duration of persistence of vision varies form person to person, so some people can actually see the flickering of a 50 Hz screen while some cannot.

As for the 24 fps standard that movies use, earlier studies shown that a 15 fps minimum frame rate is necessary for the perception of smooth motion.

So to answer maddog's question, I believe it depends on individual. Technically, there should be an improvement in the perception of image quality. Just like some people cannot tell any difference (in sound) between high end and consumer grade audio equipment even though technically the high end audio equipment produces much better audio in terms of distortion and transient response.
    But TV manufacturers are pricing their 100Hz TVs higher although it makes no difference to the user.

But TV manufacturers are pricing their 100Hz TVs higher although it makes no difference to the user.
    Well 100Hz TVs does cost more to manufacture, in my opinion.

As I mentioned, whether or not the increased refresh rate makes any difference will depend on the individual.

I would suggest that you make a comparison yourself before making any purchase decisions. If you do not see the improvement, don't be bothered by the 100Hz specification because it will only be a white elephant for you.

If you do see a differnece, then you got to decide for yourself if that difference in picture quality is worth the difference in price for you.

Also, there are many other aspects of a TV, such as sound quality, and image clarity. I am quite confident that you will find some 50 Hz TVs that will appear to have better image quality than the 100Hz ones. So what I am trying to say is to make a well balanced comparison instead of being too focused on the 50Hz versus 100 Hz difference.

For me, I can sense the flickering on my computer screen at 50Hz refresh rate, so I set it to 75 Hz.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

There is noticeably less flicker with the 100 Hz digital TV's. Worth the investment if you value your children's eyesight. Too late for us old fogeys.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    There is noticeably less flicker with the 100 Hz digital TV's. Worth the investment if you value your children's eyesight. Too late for us old fogeys.
    So that's why I am short sighted....

There's a LOT less flicker on the 100Hz screens, especially when displaying static screens (e.g. still images, DVD menus, program schedules) etc.

Regards
    CK