Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A computer system that let you edit photo with out hang

Default Re: A computer system that let you edit photo with out hang

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    I dun believe I'm seeing this...
    How many gigs u wanna store in there?

backward compatible mah

good specs there. most likely won't hang if your os is stable. but what if no idea on how to pp the photos? also hang there.

Quote Originally Posted by erickwan1989

Intel P965+ ICH8R chipset Intel® Core 2 2.66GHz
    1066MHz FSB Serial ATA
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 633 Memory Architecture with ECC Support
    256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900GS
    Intel High Definition Audio(Designed for Dolby Master Studio)
    SATA HDD 200GB-500GB
    Floppy disk
    DVDRW 16X
    CDRW 52X24X52X16X DVD Combo
    BlueRay writer
    8-USB Ports
    LAN connectivity

this system really not bad sure not hang one
    you should spend your $$$ on the new mac pro. no point 7900GS. editing photo doesn't require high speed graphics. up the hdd to a raptor class or even better. RAID 0.

then photos storage disk can raid 1 to prevent data corruption
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Intel P965+ ICH8R chipset Intel® Core 2 Extreme ext 2.66GHz
    1066MHz FSB Serial ATA 2
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 PC888 Memory Architecture with ECC Support
    1 GB MB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (time 2 card) 512-bit
    Intel High Definition Audio(Designed for Dolby Master Studio)
    SATA 2 HDD 200GB-500GB
    Floppy disk
    DVDRW 16X
    CDRW 52X24X52X16X DVD Combo
    BlueRay writer
    8-USB Ports
    LAN connectivity

http://www.intel.com/performance/des...reme/index.htmto know more

This the best one
    LOL There's a difference between toys meant for the consumers and tools meant for professionals.
    There's a reason a professional machine can easily cost over $20k (A video card alone = at least $5k inclusive of cables, software and card). Yes, some one would laugh if you told them you're using a SATA hdd on a video editing machine.
    By all means it's an unnecessary overkill, and a good machine for photo-editing, but not for video editing.

Edit: though I don't see at all how having a CDR/DVD/BluRay drive would help at all in photo editing. This feels more like an equipment wanker's wet dream. Nice to have. I'd want 1 too if I can afford it, but I'd upgrade the HDDs and drop the CDR + DVD drive + floppy disk drive, and get a better sound card..
    Last edited by unseen; 7th September 2006 at 09:53 PM.

I am just happy on my cheapo $600++ computer system.
    Yes, it never hang when photo editing.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Everything hangs when you use it long enuff, even for a Mac
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Everything hangs when you use it long enuff, even for a Mac
    This 1 i agree..
    Even macs hang.

wow that is server spec lolz that is over 6k wow lolz unless your one photo can sell more than 6k
    not server...graphics workstation...and well, if looking at THE BEST then you have to look at the best hardware available (from SimLim in Singapore anyway)...

well, if you look at how much a medium format digital system is (Hassey H2D, 30+Mpixel digital back, plus a few lenses can set you back $60k+) and how much MacPros cost (and I humbly submit that this is superior to any MacPro you can configure), then this system not that ex what...

and I agree, Macs can hang too...have experienced enough hanging with dual processor G5 as well...
    Last edited by theRBK; 8th September 2006 at 12:00 PM.

Talking about Macs, the updated iMac computers (with Core 2 Duo processors) were just released. They also added a new 24" model to the iMac line. http://www.apple.com.sg/imac/specs.html

Quote Originally Posted by SilentWave
    Talking about Macs, the updated iMac computers (with Core 2 Duo processors) were just released. They also added a new 24" model to the iMac line. http://www.apple.com.sg/imac/specs.html
    Mac has converted to the dark side..... it has been using intel processor for a while.... Darth Mac...Arise

I just gotten my Mac. Works well... though the use of its library function may not be everyone's taste.... and as with PC.... it does hang...

Built my own systems since the late 80s and in 2004 decided a switch to mac since my heavily zheng(ed) PC went up in smokes & sparks when i accidently dropped a tool into the casing. With a mac, my quarterly PC repair routine is gone. Since 2004, am still waiting for mr virus to knock knock.

However, pc brings in heaps of fun with games, applications & sharewares. Something i learned to live without these days.

Graphic cards, sound cards, uptrend gadgets are to me irrelevant since my mac got nothing much to zheng any more. Maybe thats why got money to zheng my camera.

Just my humble opinion, but guys, have fun anyway since pc is a great way to zheng.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    get a mac
    i've seen a macbook pro hang while processing a 16-bit TIFF file (converted from a 1Ds II RAW)..
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable
    Built my own systems since the late 80s and in 2004 decided a switch to mac since my heavily zheng(ed) PC went up in smokes & sparks when i accidently dropped a tool into the casing. With a mac, my quarterly PC repair routine is gone. Since 2004, am still waiting for mr virus to knock knock.

However, pc brings in heaps of fun with games, applications & sharewares. Something i learned to live without these days.

Graphic cards, sound cards, uptrend gadgets are to me irrelevant since my mac got nothing much to zheng any more. Maybe thats why got money to zheng my camera.

Just my humble opinion, but guys, have fun anyway since pc is a great way to zheng.
    Back in the good old days it makes lots of sense to be using MAC for graphic editing.... every graphic editing/design firm would be using a MAC. PPL think that you are weird if you tell the design guys you are on PC. On IRC ppl threaten to kill you when you tell them the PC is more fun than a MAC. I remember those days.

Now that MAC are using intel chipset, the Mac OS support Windows - and some of the PC are really stable and process graphics really fast there isn't really a real good reason to use MAC. Plus, its so sucky that the replacement parts for MAC are so costly and there is no room for negotiation.

Oh... I think my brain is poorly developed. Took me a long time before I got used to the one button mouse. How long did you take before u got used to it? lol!

But MAC design of the PC is more sleek than PC. That we've got to admit.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Monk
    Back in the good old days it makes lots of sense to be using MAC for graphic editing.... every graphic editing/design firm would be using a MAC. PPL think that you are weird if you tell the design guys you are on PC. On IRC ppl threaten to kill you when you tell them the PC is more fun than a MAC. I remember those days.

Now that MAC are using intel chipset, the Mac OS support Windows - and some of the PC are really stable and process graphics really fast there isn't really a real good reason to use MAC. Plus, its so sucky that the replacement parts for MAC are so costly and there is no room for negotiation.

Oh... I think my brain is poorly developed. Took me a long time before I got used to the one button mouse. How long did you take before u got used to it? lol!

But MAC design of the PC is more sleek than PC. That we've got to admit.

cheers.

Haha, fully agree. The two platforms have converged. The battle is done and we became their widgets for profiteering.

As for the single button mouse thingy, it din really affect me at all since i am pretty much a keyboard guy since DOS days.

Oh another reason for mac is its kinda drop proof. Dropped it a several times and it has not crashed/hang on me yet. Let some kids played on a mac, banging on keyboard & touchpad with online games, it still works fine. On my dated $4.5k viaos, i am alot more careful since it's more a gem than a workhorse...

Hello erickwan1989,

I am using both Mac Powerbooks and desktop PCs for a couple of years for RAW processing and on-site work. Your system looks ok but you can save cash by using AMDx2 series with normal non-ecc ram with a good motherboard (MSI, Asus, etc).

You might want to note that Adobe Photoshop for Mac is not updated for Intel Macs till next year so speed will be an issue. Also, Macs are not perfect and they will have issues from time to time, so please read up Apple forums before committing cash to purchase a Mac. We have used Dual 2.5GHz Powermacs and have found them to be slower compared to a AMD 2200+ PC due to software optimization. So you will need to read up about the software you are going to use.

That said, here are some really important points you might want to note about using PCs and Macs:

1. Make sure that you get a good LCD monitor. This is extremely crucial as different LCD manufacturers have different built-in sharpening techniques. I am currently using an Apple 20inch LCD. EIZO has proffessional grade LCDs.

2. You *must* make sure that your LCD is calibrated. You will be working blind if you don't. If you are going to work with folks who use Macs, you can calibrate using 1.8gamma instead of PC 2.2gamma. The images you get from the PC will look the same as on the Mac. Your clients/friends will not care what machine you use to process the images, you just have to make sure what you see on your LCD is the same as the designer's Macs.

3. Photoshop and CaptureOne (for RAW processing) take advantage of dual core cpus so if you can invest in a fast cpu, faster processing = more time saved. The seconds do add up into minutes and hours. You will need at least 1GB to 2GB of RAM for opening up huge files. If you are thinking of opening 10 to 20 files of 11MP to 16MP, you might want to consider >2GB RAM.

Best regards
    Wesley

Wait for this!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...n_the_rampage/

Intel Core 2 Quad: Codename: Kentsfield

please get a mac!

Quote Originally Posted by devilboy
    Wait for this!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...n_the_rampage/

Intel Core 2 Quad: Codename: Kentsfield
    no need to wait for quad core...my above suggested system already quad core

need to convince boss to invest $ and allow me to build it...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    no need to wait for quad core...my above suggested system already quad core

need to convince boss to invest $ and allow me to build it...
    Bro.. you got boss... I got my finance controller (a.k.a my wife)... that one more difficult to convince than Boss, even when using own money.... hahahahahahahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12