Thread: when you buy lens, is it ok to test multiple copies and select one?

Question when you buy lens, is it ok to test multiple copies and select one?

I mean those popular/mid-range lens, which the shop is likely to hold many pieces.
    Is it usual for buyer to ask for a few copies and test one by one?

Default Re: when you buy lens, is it ok to test multiple copies and select one?

yes... if i am the next potential buyer, i'll be pissed & say u chao kuan..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    yes... if i am the next potential buyer, i'll be pissed & say u chao kuan..

actually, it all depends on ur relationship with the shop owner/staff. some will let u test to ur heart's content, some will give u ugly looks. be reasonable lah. dun open every single box they have to test.... and then have no intention of buying.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

let me know when you are going to do that, I can cover the event

btw would you buy a lens if you see the box already opened?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    let me know when you are going to do that, I can cover the event

btw would you buy a lens if you see the box already opened?
    cool, maybe next year when I buy my Sigma 180 Macro, you can help me pick best piece. you are the macro guru here I knew.

For that question, I am puzzled. Among the few lens I bought, I wasn't aware any of them
    was actually "sealed" when handed to me for inspection.

Blog Entries

if everyone was to open and close the box to check and test
    the box will be visably worn.

And i would not buy that set. So i do not think the shop owner would like ppl testing all their lenses.

say maybe, open one and check and test, if ok then buy.
    but not open 3 or 4 boxes and choose the best.

I don't know how to test, so cannot help you,
    best is to get someone who has that lens to come along with you.
    but if you do i want to take picture of shop owner's facial expression.

btw me not a macro guru

Well, I'd LOVE to do that. But den again, assuming a shopowner has got 10 pieces of a 24-70 f/2.8 lens.

Customer A: Test from Box 1 to 10. Decides that Box 10 is the best one. Buys box 10.
    Customer B: Test from Box 1 to 9. Decides that Box 9 is the best one. Buys box 9.

And so on until Customer J who is told that the shop has only 1 last piece left, he buys without testing and leaves.

So, wun it still friggin' boil down to the same thing?

Unless u guyz have zero faith in ur favourite lens manufacturer's QC....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Is it really neccessary. Just go to a shop you trust and get the new len. provided you know the lens are new. After all, you are covered by warranty, and can still go to exchange if there is defects. Anyway, you can't really put the lens to severe test in the shop. It takes too long too, so no one will be willing to do that for you.

Bottom line, take the new lens in good faith. If there is any problem, then solve it. So far, all the lens I bought have been good enough for me, but then again, i don't buy enough lens to tell for sure. so don't mind my rambling...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Then the next day, someone will post "The XxXxX shop I bought my lens from sold me a used and returned copy!@#$%@#%".

vince123123
    Guests

Do you know how troublesome it is to get an exchange? You never know if the manufacturer will insist there's no problems and refuses to exchange. And all their attempts to fix the "problem" don't work

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Is it really neccessary. Just go to a shop you trust and get the new len. provided you know the lens are new. After all, you are covered by warranty, and can still go to exchange if there is defects. Anyway, you can't really put the lens to severe test in the shop. It takes too long too, so no one will be willing to do that for you.

Bottom line, take the new lens in good faith. If there is any problem, then solve it. So far, all the lens I bought have been good enough for me, but then again, i don't buy enough lens to tell for sure. so don't mind my rambling...

But then again, what tests can you do at the shop that can compare between 2 or 3 lenses? What difference can you see in your small little LCD screen?

I just go through a simple ritual everytime I buy a pair of lens, maybe some of you can relate, maybe it will help some in future buys:

1. Take the box, open it up, make sure packaging is "new", ie, wrappers not torn or signs of use (especially the one wrapping the lens, cos that would mean someone has probably tried it and rejected it). I'll ask for another one straightaway, and take my chances with one that has not been touched. (Shop owner won't be angry cos I didn't "test" it.)

2. Lens:
    a. Check for external scratches
    b. Remove both caps, hold up directly to the light, look through to see if there are any visible cracks or scratches in the lens.
    c. Check if there are any signs of deposits or corrosion at the mount contact points.

3. Fix it onto your camera. Good and tight fit?

4. Play with the zooms, focus rings and dials, if any. Responsive? Shiok feel?

5. Choose a subject, preferably coloured words, and shoot at the widest, then at the farthest (for zoom lens). Zoom in on your LCD to check that focus is spot-on, not back focussed etc.

6. Switch to Manual focus mode, and focus on a subject. Make sure your viewfinder focus light comes on when you have sharp focus. This shows sensor and lens are sync.

If any of the above fails (so far I have not experienced except for an external scratch), TELL the shop keeper. Let HIM offer another lens for you to try after verifying that yes there is a problem. This way both happy.

If none of the problems occur, the next step is to say:

"brother, I always come here and buy... give me better price la... "

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, if one can be bothered to, there are quite a number of tests that can be done to compare.

All you need is to bring a notebook computer along :P

For back/front focussing, just print the test chart from that website and shoot the chart in the shop - you don't need much equipment to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by merkava74
    But then again, what tests can you do at the shop that can compare between 2 or 3 lenses? What difference can you see in your small little LCD screen?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Actually, if one can be bothered to, there are quite a number of tests that can be done to compare.
    Care to share? It would be good to know for future buys. TIA!

Also, bringing the back focussing chart is a great idea! Thanks!
    Last edited by merkava74; 6th September 2006 at 10:39 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, well some people shoot sharpness charts to compare sharpness, or colour charts (those are more of the siao ones).

I suppose what kinds of tests depends on what aspects you wanted to know anyway - but my point was that you can test at the shop if you wanted to - the same way you would normally test at home for your own tests.

Care to share? It would be good to know for future buys. TIA!

Also, bringing the back focussing chart is a great idea! Thanks!

I just go through a simple ritual everytime I buy a pair of lens, maybe some of you can relate, maybe it will help some in future buys:

1. Take the box, open it up, make sure packaging is "new", ie, wrappers not torn or signs of use (especially the one wrapping the lens, cos that would mean someone has probably tried it and rejected it). I'll ask for another one straightaway, and take my chances with one that has not been touched. (Shop owner won't be angry cos I didn't "test" it.)

2. Lens:
    a. Check for external scratches
    b. Remove both caps, hold up directly to the light, look through to see if there are any visible cracks or scratches in the lens.
    c. Check if there are any signs of deposits or corrosion at the mount contact points.

3. Fix it onto your camera. Good and tight fit?

4. Play with the zooms, focus rings and dials, if any. Responsive? Shiok feel?

5. Choose a subject, preferably coloured words, and shoot at the widest, then at the farthest (for zoom lens). Zoom in on your LCD to check that focus is spot-on, not back focussed etc.

6. Switch to Manual focus mode, and focus on a subject. Make sure your viewfinder focus light comes on when you have sharp focus. This shows sensor and lens are sync.

If any of the above fails (so far I have not experienced except for an external scratch), TELL the shop keeper. Let HIM offer another lens for you to try after verifying that yes there is a problem. This way both happy.

If none of the problems occur, the next step is to say:

"brother, I always come here and buy... give me better price la... "
    i like that procedure and its similar to mine. When i bought my last lense the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 i was offered a grey market set and a normal one. I prefer to have the warranty so i had a look at that one. Found some dots on the lense and rejected (without testing), had a look at the grey set (without testing), got the guy to dig out a couple more "normal" versions and choose the one for testing that had no flaws on the lense. then proceeded with testing.
    I think it is perfectly ok to test lenses and take them out of the box even if you do not buy them. For me it is not a problem if i see that the box was opened. As long as i can open it as well and check it out.
    I hate the shops which do not give bodies or lenses to try before you buy or without confirmed buy. I am going to spend a significant amount of money and i am not allowed to try, this is ridiculus. A few years back i was looking at the Mamiya 645. Saw it in a shop in Marina Square, walked in, expressed my interest, and asked to see the body lense etc. The guy refused, so i told the boy that he missed a $3000 sale turned on my heels and walked out.... you should have seen the guy coming after me... all of a sudden i could hold the camera and try it.
    if you go to a camera shop in Europe then its not a problem at all. They let you take pictures and what ever.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Ha, ha, I'm partial to nice serial numbers too when choosing equipment...