Thread: CCD Cleaning - Is my idea out of whack?

Default CCD Cleaning - Is my idea out of whack?

Hi, I read an article posted here about DIY CCD cleaning and sticking a broken cake knife with a lint free paper scares me.

Now I'm wondering what the Canon people for the $60 they charge for cleaning the CCD. I am also into model construction (Tamiya type) and I have a compressor for my air brushes. Do you think it will work if I use the compressor with a brand new airbrush that hasn't been contaminated with paint and blow it against the CCD, would it work?? More importantly, will it damage the CCD??

This is of course the compressor has to have a reservouir to trap the moisture, a water trap etc. Any thoughts?

p.s. I wish a Canon technician is watching this space.

Default Re: CCD Cleaning - Is my idea out of whack?

Quote Originally Posted by BangBang1111
    Hi, I read an article posted here about DIY CCD cleaning and sticking a broken cake knife with a lint free paper scares me.

Now I'm wondering what the Canon people for the $60 they charge for cleaning the CCD. I am also into model construction (Tamiya type) and I have a compressor for my air brushes. Do you think it will work if I use the compressor with a brand new airbrush that hasn't been contaminated with paint and blow it against the CCD, would it work?? More importantly, will it damage the CCD??

This is of course the compressor has to have a reservouir to trap the moisture, a water trap etc. Any thoughts?

No, it wont work for dirt that is ON the CCD.
    Also your airbrush technique needs to be refined.. you need to put a water
    filter after the outlet of the compressor. Your Airbrush may also limit
    the pressure coming out from the tank. Some compressor also let out
    OIL. I use GREEN STANDARD AIRCON GAS connected to an airbrush
    for painting precision parts that cannot afford to have any contaminents
    with all necessary filters.

No point, the big Rubber blower is best.

I clean my CCD using Methonol with PEC pads on ICE cream
    sticks.

http://photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/

Allan
    Last edited by Allan Teo; 4th September 2006 at 09:12 PM.

dunno about $60 bucks. they charged me $25 to clean mine... problem with compressors is you can never guarantee there arent some contaminants in the system.... that is why its bestto use just normal blower.
    as for the brushes, again, from what ive read, there are many different kind of brushes. and whilst some may "clean" the CCD, they can leave microscopic scratches because of their material.. so cant really say what effect your brushes will have.
    Last edited by jdredd; 4th September 2006 at 09:22 PM.

I use my airbrush and compressor to clean my lenses/filters only, no prob. No funny oil problem.

DUN USE COMPRESSOR!!!!! I HAVE ONE OF THOSE INDUSTRIAL MONSTERS, AND ENDED UP WITH MORE DUST!!!!

not sure if this is advisable, but i use denatured alcohol and ear buds(all from guardian), extreme economical. yes, i hear of warnings like sratches, but no problem for me on my first try. can see my harrowing adventure here. but there is one very very good advice most pp give which you should listen: try whatever method you want on a CD for your first try, you must get that pressure right.

otherwise, 60 dollars is okay if it buys you comfort and security.

One problem with a blower is that you can blow dust all around inside the camera.

Dust that was not on the sensor can be blown there, also you can blow dust up into the eye piece area.

Once it is up there, you cant get it out !
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

I do have a reservour (tank) after the compressor (water trap) then after the tank, a regulator with a filter and then the hose which also has a water/dust filter. However, I guess I now have new insight about how compressed air may damage the sensor.
    The BobAtkins article is really a good one, thanks for the link but I guess although I am a DIY type of guy, sticking a swap into a 5D sensor really gives me the jitters (I can't afford another one if I screw this one).

Has anyone sent it in to Canon and gotten a really clean sensor? I wasn't happy with mine after the servicing and they told me not 100% can be removed.

I use this to clean my sensor. As in the sensorwand + pecpad with 3 drops of eclipse cleaning solution applied to the top. This method has given me the best results so far. With the rocket blower I ended up with more dust on the sensor so I would definitely not recommend it.

For testing I zoom to the nearest my lens will go and stop down to f/22 (or lower if your lens permits) and manually focus to the nearest setting. Then I open up a pure white screen on my monitor then about a few cm away from the monitor I move the camera around and open the shutter. At ISO200 the shutter will open for about 2-2.5 seconds. It is important to move the camera around so you don't capture dust on your monitor into the image.

Just load the image into photoshop after and adjust the levels and any sensor dust will show up very clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by RailGun
    I use this to clean my sensor. As in the sensorwand + pecpad with 3 drops of eclipse cleaning solution applied to the top. This method has given me the best results so far. With the rocket blower I ended up with more dust on the sensor so I would definitely not recommend it.

For testing I zoom to the nearest my lens will go and stop down to f/22 (or lower if your lens permits) and manually focus to the nearest setting. Then I open up a pure white screen on my monitor then about a few cm away from the monitor I move the camera around and open the shutter. At ISO200 the shutter will open for about 2-2.5 seconds. It is important to move the camera around so you don't capture dust on your monitor into the image.

Just load the image into photoshop after and adjust the levels and any sensor dust will show up very clearly.
    Is the kit available in Singapore and where ?

Smile Re: CCD Cleaning - Is my idea out of whack?

Not sure where you might find it in Singapore but I'm sure major camera shops will stock it. Try that building (forgot the name) beside Funan Center which has a good number of camera shops there.

You could order it online too like I did. If I need accessories it seems the only place I can find them are well stocked camera shops in downtown Seattle and it's quite a chore to get there, so I usually order stuff online. lol I miss the convenience of Funan et al..

It's available at CP