Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any risks of using non-original camera batteries?

Default Any risks of using non-original camera batteries?

Does anyone know of any risks of using non-original batteries? Other than possible shorter lifespan, is there any possible risk of damage to the camera, like a higher voltage or whatever? Bought a D70s during Comex, and an extra battery (not original) was provided. Was wondering if there are any risks involved while using these type of batteries? I am pretty sure the warrantly does not cover the use of "non-nikon" batteries.

Any advice?

Default Re: Any risks of using non-original camera batteries?

I think as long as you don't mix them both in usage (e.g. use a nikon batt with a non-original batt together in grip) it should not harm your camera. I'll recomment getting non-original batt from Eastgear at Peninsula Plaza.

Just make sure the voltage rating on your non-original is equal or lower than your original.

Blog Entries

badly made batteries are know to catch fire

eg. the recall from apple and dell

I rather be safe than sorry.

Granted. It could be 2x to 3x more... but usually, the nominal amount is not huge and furthermore the current crop of batteries do last a long while.

i.e. you only need one for spare.

I have the Easgear's but I mainly use them as spare...it is still going strong after 1.5 yr

In my line of work (not camera-related) I've come across non-original batteries shorting the battery contacts.
    As a result the product cannot draw power from the battery even when use back original, and had to rely on AC adapter.

Not sure about camera third-party batteries, but I'm sure there's always a risk.

I have my doubt about non-original batteries as well. Actually, I got a DSLR from Comex recently, and included in the package was a free "non-original" battery. The only warning on it was strictly to use it for the indicated charger/battery.
    Thought of using it as an emergency battery in case the original one runs out. Now I am wondering even whether to use it or not. If any internal hardware parts damage I will be !

remember...

the warranty may be voided if you use non-original batteries.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

i use energizers, sure no problem

both my batt for D50 ain't original... 1 from eastgear the other from digital, so far so good.

I mix batts without problems...

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    remember...

the warranty may be voided if you use non-original batteries.
    If that's the case, then why bother giving these non-original batteries as part of packages, if such batt can void the warrantly? To be safe, maybe will go get an original one. Better to pay $$$ for new original one than later.

"Non-Nikon brand batteries are available for sale in various countries around the world. To avoid possible damage to your camera and potential injury, please ensure that any batteries used in your camera are manufactured by a reputable company and to the same high degree of quality as Nikon's batteries. Note that Nikon has no responsibility for problems arising when using non-Nikon batteries in your Nikon digital camera. We therefore can only recommend using Nikon brand batteries which may be used with confidence."

Taken from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin
    "Non-Nikon brand batteries are available for sale in various countries around the world. To avoid possible damage to your camera and potential injury, please ensure that any batteries used in your camera are manufactured by a reputable company and to the same high degree of quality as Nikon's batteries. Note that Nikon has no responsibility for problems arising when using non-Nikon batteries in your Nikon digital camera. We therefore can only recommend using Nikon brand batteries which may be used with confidence."

Taken from here.
    Yes, remember the notebook exploded at conference few months ago...

Regards,
    Arto.

i hav the same question as you last year... after advise, i went to eastgear and the batt there is much cheaper and lasting then the original batt. use it for 7.5months and getting 1 more

If you can, try and find out the OEM manufacturer of the proprietary batteries made by the camera manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc.).

Unless the camera manufacturer also produces their own batteries, the discussion about "non-original" batteries may be moot. For all you know, it could be the same "brandless" factory churning out the batteries.

One set stamped Canon, the other is "brandless". Needless to say the one stamped Canon is gonna cost you 2x or 3x more.

Case in point: when you buy a computer from Dell, exactly which component of the PC is manufactured by Dell? Keyboard - Logitech. Monitor - Viewsonic. CPU - Intel / AMD. Graphics card - some OEM manufacturer. The list goes on.

Even your rechargeable AA batteries... most of it are made by Sanyo and re-packaged, or the technology licensed into other brands.

So my point is, there MAY be a difference between original and 'third-party' batteries, but only if the batteries are made by the camera manufacturer (highly, highly, unlikely, with the exception of Sony perhaps) and the 'third-party' manufacturers are forced to reverse engineer the batteries (and hence such OEM batteries are 'inferior').

Think about it... are Canon or Nikon leaders in battery technology? Unlikely rite... it'll make more sense (and be much more economical) for them to contract out the battery manufacturing process to someone who's actually good at it.
    Last edited by kongping; 5th September 2006 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redipsvu
    Does anyone know of any risks of using non-original batteries? Other than possible shorter lifespan, is there any possible risk of damage to the camera, like a higher voltage or whatever? Bought a D70s during Comex, and an extra battery (not original) was provided. Was wondering if there are any risks involved while using these type of batteries? I am pretty sure the warrantly does not cover the use of "non-nikon" batteries.

Any advice?
    So far no problem for the past 2 years. using 3rd party batteries.

Using and mixing original and Megapower ones for last 3 years in my 20D batt grip... no signs of weakening power... no signs of smoke... no signs of static... no signs of shortcircuit... no signs of... U get the point...

Get out there and enjoy your photography... Cheers
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Blog Entries

just heard on the radio about more notebook battery recalls
    i think by matsushita

I have tried both generic brands of batteries from Cathay and Eastgear. So far no problem. Use them both at work for Canon and personal for Nikon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast