Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some tips on engagement shoot (moved from Wedding Porfolios gallery)

Default Re: some tips on engagment shoot

Quote Originally Posted by DT_ View Post
    i suppose it's their wedding day shoot.. in australia?
    Yup, in Perth. The couple said just shoot the wedding party.

not bad, if i'm handling these, primary will be the 20D+16-35+580 setup, althought can also sling the 300D+70-200 around to score some candids..
    OK

pardon me, sorry if i misunderstood, but it really sounds like your first wedding shoot.. presuming if that's the case, hmmm it's going to be too much tips on "where to stand, what type of photos to take, iso setting, apertures, creative ideas" .. i do suggest you do a search on 'wedding tips' for some previously posted references.. if it's in australia, pls note that the wedding customary is very different (from here), it'll be good (or probably a must) to get a better understanding first..
    Yea my first wedding shoot, the couple just wanted to take pictures of the wedding party, I didn't think they wanted to have on location shoot or other shoots.

unfortunately, it's almost useless.. or at least for me...

thx.. just my thoughts..
    kewl, thx

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCool View Post
    Hi all,

I too was asked by a friend (whom met online, haven't met offline yet) to shoot her wedding.

I have
    - 20D & 300D
    - 16-35, 70-200mm, 100mm
    - 580 flash

I will be bringing my equipments to the wedding, but lack the experience of where to stand, what type of photos to take, iso setting, apertures, creative ideas. Anybody can help with some tips?

Btw, how useful is tripod for wedding photos?

-Henry
    If it is a party only, no ceremony, life will be easiler for you.
    20D + 16~35 + 580, the rest keep as back up
    I would not advise you to lug another body mounted with lens walking around, just concentrade with one camera will have a better suscess.
    if it is indoor, ISO 800, 1/30~1/60, f4~f5.6 should be fine, always review the LCD, make sure you get your exposure right or close enough
    when in doubt, you can shoot in RAW, but you must have bring enough CF cards along and time to do the post production later.

just get all the standard shots right first, if you have time, you can think and play with creative ideas or angles.

hope these help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    If it is a party only, no ceremony, life will be easiler for you.
    20D + 16~35 + 580, the rest keep as back up
    I would not advise you to lug another body mounted with lens walking around, just concentrade with one camera will have a better suscess.
    if it is indoor, ISO 800, 1/30~1/60, f4~f5.6 should be fine, always review the LCD, make sure you get your exposure right or close enough
    when in doubt, you can shoot in RAW, but you must have bring enough CF cards along and time to do the post production later.

just get all the standard shots right first, if you have time, you can think and play with creative ideas or angles.

hope these help.
    Hi,

I will be taking along portable storage device to store the photos, and a couple CF cards. For party photos, i feel it will be candid photos? not too sure on what type of photos are expected

-Henry

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCool View Post
    Hi,

I will be taking along portable storage device to store the photos, and a couple CF cards. For party photos, i feel it will be candid photos? not too sure on what type of photos are expected

-Henry
    you can shoot some details (all the small decors, cake, wine, champagne, etc), some ambient setting (the interior, the venue), some formal portraits (solo, couple and group) if they like to have, and the rest should be all candids, you need to know what is happening, so ask for the programme. even it is a small simple party, also do have speech, toast, cake cutting, first dance, and some other rituals etc....

hope these help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Some tips on engagement shoot (moved from Wedding Porfolios gallery)

Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty View Post
    my friend and his fiance asked me to help them out to get some shots of them together

i have no experience in shooting couples or people actually come tot hink about it..
    i like shootting sports and photojournalist stuff.

anyway .. was wondering if you guys can give me some tips or hint so i would totally ruin the photoshoot.

some stuff i've taken down through reading the forums..

1) sunrise/sunset are the best times to take photos of people
    2) will get them to wear natural toned clothes/ no brands visible
    3) since i'm in hawaii... will probably get them to go to a beach or seomthing

do you guys use circular polarizer when shooting?

i'll be using a 5D with 50 1.4 / 85 1.8 / 70-200 2.8 is .... maybe a 16-35 .. but im not sure about that ...

dont think i'll be bringing my 1D cuz it wouldnt be that useful ?

anybody have anything to add?

what about reflectors?

I had a similar issue a little while ago and someone put me onto a tip site for photographers. I now go there all the time and pretend I'm learning something. Anyway, it has answers to many things and seems easy enough to navigate. I found a specific article there that might be right for what you're looking for.

Hope it helps anyway.

Portraiture Enhancements

Kitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12