Thread: Video quality between digicam and camcorder

Default Video quality between digicam and camcorder

Dunno if this is correct place to post.. Sorry if it's not.. Moderators pls shift accordingly.. tnx.

Been toying with the idea of getting an affordable digital camcorder. Wow, guess I've been bitten by the bug. Saw my friend's travel video. Didn't realize the camcorder can record stuffs which bring out more emotions than the camera for quite a number of instances! Realized many of the images from cam are kinda static but with the video recording, I felt like I was there!

Just wanna check... Is there a difference in image quality between that taken using a compact digicam video mode vs a true digital camcorder? Cos I looked at my colleague's recording and it seems like the quality is the same as my digicam's! So what's the deal here....? I know there are many, such as camcorder can have more optical zoom, night mode, can zoom while recording, etc. But I'm more interested in the quality.... is there a difference at all?

Like I know still images taken from the camcorder and cellphones are far inferior compared to a true digicam... does it also mean video recordings from a camcorder is superior compared to that from a digicam?

Sorry my knowledge about camcorders is really little cos totally a newbie here... Hope those with experience in digital photography and video can help see light... Thanks!
    Last edited by David; 4th September 2006 at 01:11 AM.

Default Re: Video quality between digicam and camcorder

Yes. Check out www.camcorderinfo.com for more info. As long as the review says that the camcorder has good low light performance, you can bet that the image quality becomes very acceptable, and that means quality better than any digital camera. What is becoming interesting now are the new high definition camcorders that produce very high resolution image quality.

Actually,
    I'd recommend the Sony HDV HC3. I used the HC1 model for a professional shoot, as a backup camcorder, and the quality, even at DV mode, was very acceptable.

Go for HDV if you have a budget of $2600-$3000
    Else, shoot for a 3CCD camcorder.

To capture the videos, you may wish to invest in a video editing software, like the Pinnacle Studio series.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Dunno if this is correct place to post.. Sorry if it's not.. Moderators pls shift accordingly.. tnx.

Been toying with the idea of getting an affordable digital camcorder. Wow, guess I've been bitten by the bug. Saw my friend's travel video. Didn't realize the camcorder can record stuffs which bring out more emotions than the camera for quite a number of instances! Realized many of the images from cam are kinda static but with the video recording, I felt like I was there!

Just wanna check... Is there a difference in image quality between that taken using a compact digicam video mode vs a true digital camcorder? Cos I looked at my colleague's recording and it seems like the quality is the same as my digicam's! So what's the deal here....? I know there are many, such as camcorder can have more optical zoom, night mode, can zoom while recording, etc. But I'm more interested in the quality.... is there a difference at all?

Like I know still images taken from the camcorder and cellphones are far inferior compared to a true digicam... does it also mean video recordings from a camcorder is superior compared to that from a digicam?

Sorry my knowledge about camcorders is really little cos totally a newbie here... Hope those with experience in digital photography and video can help see light... Thanks!
    First... find out the purpose of your camcorder purchase, tourist, work or movie making...
    So far there isn't a camcorder capable of taken very decent photo, likewise, there are fewer camera capable of taken good quality videos. Thats why I end up having a Camcorder and a DSLR.
    There are a few different formats that may help you to purchase your camcorder:
    DVD camcorders, good for tourist and do not need a powerful NLE (Non-Linear Editing) computer to work with, just shoot and play. DVD media is the cheapest media as of now. If you want fast editing, you can opt for HDD Camcorder, shoot, transfer and edit... simple fast and easy. MiniDv is by far the best for consumer level, capable of creating high resolution videos at 720 X 576. Very good for weddings and events...unless you want to go high defination, you may have to spend up to $16K for a 720p HDV video (Panasonic or JVC)... the Sony 1080i format is not exactly True HD or Pro HD, it is just a simplified format of HD, output is not fantastic too. Lets not draw into Betas cam or Rotormotor cams, these are strictly for broadcasting and hollywood movies, too expensive even for wedding videos unless you charges the couple $5K for an AD.

Pinnacle is really user friendly however the output is quite poor, if you decide to go for better quality ones, I suggest use either Premier Pro or Sony Vegas (Windows) or Final Cut Pro (MAC).

*PC for editing needs high processing powers and rams. minium a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz and 1 GB rams for 576p DVD output.

Sorry for the OT.

Anyone can advise what is the photo resolution size that I should crop to if I am doing a VCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    Sorry for the OT.

Anyone can advise what is the photo resolution size that I should crop to if I am doing a VCD.
    640 X 480...

Quote Originally Posted by devilboy
    640 X 480...
    Thanks but my photos seem to be rather blur after I convert them into MPG1 using Pinnacle Studios. Any solutions to make it sharp?

The video quality of my Canon S2 powershots works very welll... I have since taken many video clips during outings... but be aware of the resolution which will eat very much into the memory card.... Quality wise is satisfactory, colour is vibrant, but you will have a memory space problem if you intent to video-shoot long...

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    Thanks but my photos seem to be rather blur after I convert them into MPG1 using Pinnacle Studios. Any solutions to make it sharp?
    Well its vcd mah. How to get good quality when the frame size is only 352 X 288 compared to dvd at frame size 720 x 576. Best solution is redo your footage at 720 X 576 pal or 720 X 480 ntsc
    Last edited by shawnlim; 9th September 2006 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photoliu
    The video quality of my Canon S2 powershots works very welll... I have since taken many video clips during outings... but be aware of the resolution which will eat very much into the memory card.... Quality wise is satisfactory, colour is vibrant, but you will have a memory space problem if you intent to video-shoot long...
    Well if your are talking about good video quality. Nothing beats video cam. If you are talking about good picture quality, nothing beats still cam. Thumbs of rule some would call it. There is no best of both world. Comsumer level video allows u to take still picture, but the quality is so so. Pro level video cam dont even have this funtion at all, cos its a video cam after all, meant for video only. Like wise those pro level still cam like the DSLR also dont have video recording funtion at all, cos its suppose to take good quality still picture. its a still cam after all
    Last edited by shawnlim; 9th September 2006 at 07:42 PM.