Thread: Flash photography exercises

Default Flash photography exercises

Alright... I do not own a flash at the moment, but I will buy one soon. I think this month, nothing too expensive, I think maybe $200 or so. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend how I can practise using my flash? Example, what are the more common situations that needs flash and is often encoutered? So I can practise....

Thanks a mucho bunch!

hi silverelf, no need lah, set to P and fire!!! hehe!!

seriously, u need to understand the principle relationship between f-stops, guide numbers, flash to subject distance. Even though you won't be calculating which f-stop to use in this day and age, a basic understanding would be good.

Also, how film ISO speed affects flash range, and finally flash fall-off due to the inverse squre law.

MOST importantly, after you get your flash, u need to familiarize yourself on how your camera and flash behaves together , i.e. tendency to overexpose/underexpose using which metering pattern etc.

Finally, most people venture into using fill flash, how to vary the amount of fill together with ambient light...in the old days by setting the flash f-stop seperately but nowadays just by setting flash comp +/-. hehe!

personally, i wouldn't suggest buying a flash until you get a feel of how natural light behaves, how size and intensity of light changes the relationship between highlights and shadows.....a flash grants you immense power in affecting your pictures...use it well young skywalker.....hehe!

Oh, but I will need to calculate EVERYTHING. That's cos my camera is a FM2

Well, I don't mind difficulties just hope to have ample practise in potentially difficult aituations.....

Well, that's pretty easy.. cos FM2 got TTL function..
    For me, i use the F3, really must apply 100% manual flash technique..

Try getting a nikon speedlite, Eg: SB-24, 25, 26..
    All these are around $200-$400 second hand..
    they provide, full manual flash control, excellent
    Me using the SB-25

Originally posted by Peculiar
    Well, that's pretty easy.. cos FM2 got TTL function..
    For me, i use the F3, really must apply 100% manual flash technique..
    FM2 has NO TTL. Flash exposure has to be calculated manually if not using an Auto flash unit. F3 do have TTL i believe.

Regards
    CK

F3's TTL only available SB-16 and 17.. the old world flash system haiz... then TTL flash coupler is a bit on the expensive side, some more it creates an extremely weak flash to camera link..
    FM2 uses the standard TTL system, highly primitive compared to the now advance multi-sensor TTL system, and auto fill-flash...

Originally posted by Peculiar
    F3's TTL only available SB-16 and 17.. the old world flash system haiz... then TTL flash coupler is a bit on the expensive side, some more it creates an extremely weak flash to camera link..
    FM2 uses the standard TTL system, highly primitive compared to the now advance multi-sensor TTL system, and auto fill-flash...
    Bo leh, the hotshoe only 2 pin, 1 for the main flash trigger, 1 for the ready light. Are you talking about FE2, FA or FM3a?

Regards
    CK

FM2 doesn't have TTL sensor, Xsync speed is 1/200s. Anyway, there's no need to calculate everything for the flash. You could use the automatic mode, just like what many of us with digicams sporting standard hotshoes are doing.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by mpenza
    FM2 doesn't have TTL sensor, Xsync speed is 1/200s. Anyway, there's no need to calculate everything for the flash. You could use the automatic mode, just like what many of us with digicams sporting standard hotshoes are doing.
    Got a version of FM2 which can Xsync at 1/250.

Regards
    CK

yup, FM-2N and FM2T could sync at 1/250s.... info from Thom Hagon's book
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

I was starting to wonder whether my FM2 got TTL.... cos I didn't know it had that function.... All I know that it does is all the manual stuff.... don't think got TTL? then again I don't fully understand my camera yet, especially when it comes to flash.

fm2 if i remember correctly don't have ttl so u gotta use a manual or auto flash

I suppose that I will buy a manual flash. though I haven't decided yet. waiting for recommendations as I am not familiar with flash. Think me definitely have to buy this month...

Maybe can buy those nikon flash like SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, SB-28 or the latest SB-80... Of which SB-28 and SB-80 are still available 1st hand, whereas the the rest only at 2nd market..

As for SB-27, SB-50, SB-22 and SB-30, they do not offer as much control over the others..

Guess i made a mistake abt the FM2 TTL issue.. What shame considering that i'm an ex-FM2 user, haha..