Thread: my 1st zoo shots

Default my 1st zoo shots

Never had the chance to practice photography except on my lil fish in his tank at home . Went to the zoo today n decided to put my N5700 to good use ..

Here are some shots from a newbie .. pls tell me how to improve .. comments good or bad welcome

Heres the first thing that greets u when u enter the ZOO

On to the White Tiger

Started to pour so have to leave

Default Re: my 1st zoo shots

1) dun smack the subject rite in the center...use rule of third in this case..

2)composition is gd...but dun chop the tail...n highlight is overexpose

3)try shifting ur cam more to the left...rite gt abit too much space...n the shadow look weird...

tats all the comment fm me...im a newbie oso...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    1) dun smack the subject rite in the center...use rule of third in this case..

2)composition is gd...but dun chop the tail...n highlight is overexpose

3)try shifting ur cam more to the left...rite gt abit too much space...n the shadow look weird...

tats all the comment fm me...im a newbie oso...
    thks for your time to comment ... can u please explain "rule of third" ?

Also for the rest of the comments .. i'll take note but i dont really understand ... can u explain in layman terms ? I m a TOTAL newbie but learning this new and very expensive hobby

i still feel the pictures are not "alive" enough compared to DSLRs ... sigh ... just cant make up my mind yet on a 400D or a D70s
    Last edited by flightspeed; 2nd September 2006 at 11:42 PM.

not that bad for 1st try... my 1st try was anyway do a search on google about rule of third and you can find many professional results

Talking Re: my 1st zoo shots

Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    thks for your time to comment ... can u please explain "rule of third" ?

Also for the rest of the comments .. i'll take note but i dont really understand ... can u explain in layman terms ? I m a TOTAL newbie but learning this new and very expensive hobby

i still feel the pictures are not "alive" enough compared to DSLRs ... sigh ... just cant make up my mind yet on a 400D or a D70s
    You should go to Comex, bring your own CF card and go there and try shooting Then you will know what you are looking for and then BBB

Was at comex on friday after the failed parking attempt the day before . So close i was to getting the D70s plus freebies until colleague .... oh well my boss told me to go see Canon's booth .

Took the 400D which was set on "auto" mode n shoot away at the EPSON balloon floating above wah the colors were so vivid !!! Kept my ATM card back into my wallet.

Price is still cheaper by the D70s albeit its newer technology n better features ... this really confused me .

So i m still doin my "little research" on these 2 cams but my $$ would go to the 400D - More bang for the buck compared to the D70s IMHO

Was at comex on friday after the failed parking attempt the day before . So close i was to getting the D70s plus freebies until colleague .... oh well my boss told me to go see Canon's booth .

Took the 400D which was set on "auto" mode n shoot away at the EPSON balloon floating above wah the colors were so vivid !!! Kept my ATM card back into my wallet.

Price is still cheaper by the D70s albeit its newer technology n better features ... this really confused me .

So i m still doin my "little research" on these 2 cams but my $$ would go to the 400D - More bang for the buck compared to the D70s IMHO
    D70s is much older... Why pay the same price for something older? Unless of course you want to use Nikkor lenses instead of EF lenses.

Then again, only 100 units of 400D... you might have to wait a little whileeee

actually any lens is fine with me as long as it helps me take nice pics with my limited budget .

I'll wait for the 2nd batch

actually any lens is fine with me as long as it helps me take nice pics with my limited budget .

I'll wait for the 2nd batch
    There, you've made up your mind already. Let me be the first to welcome you to the Canon family

hmm.. i hope critics help u to improve, seein dat u're now ready to bite e bullet and jump aboard e DSLR ship.
    for #1, e first thin is dat it's extremely centralised.. try composin it so dat e bird is more on e right. secondly, notice dat big diagonal log or wateva it is in e foregrnd? avoid thins like dat.. it distracts e eye away frm e main sunject. and lastly, it seems u set at rather high ISO to compensate poor lightin.. img. is rather grainy.
    for #2, gd capture of e pose of e tiger. alittle nitpick, e tail is cut off.. oh, and besides, e head of e tiger is over.. i know it's a real torture takin these white tigers in bright sunlight. but here's wat i do to kip dat correctly exposed. use spot meterin and focus on dat tiger.. e backgrnd will be almost black. but ur tiger wld be well exposed.. like tis for example. (taken wif S2 some time back)

for #3, i get wat u're tryin to show.. wld haf easily been e best composition out of e 3, had it been tis way, e boy is more at e bottom right of e picture. dat means shiftin ur camera alittle diagonally upwards to ur left..

gd try given dat u've been shootin nth but ur poor fish tank at home.. do go out and shoot more often and gd shots will come naturally.
    juz my two cents worth..
    Last edited by NightZ88; 3rd September 2006 at 07:43 AM.

thank you so much for the tips .... took it down already

Keep them coming , think i'll go snaps somemore shots with this N5700 first and wait till end of the year for the prices of the new dslr to stabilize before i commit .