Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: How to get blue sky?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default How to get blue sky?

    Singapore sky is quite difficult to get blue sky in comparison with temperate countries. When I try to get the blue sky with a subject in front, it tends to underexpose the subject. If I use flash, sometimes, it tend to blow out.

    Can anyone here advise how to get it right everytime? Care to share some general settings?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Try a neutral-density (ND) grad filter?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Try a neutral-density (ND) grad filter?
    I am currently using the B & W UV and anti haze filter. Does it help? Cost quite a bit

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    ND Grad is a good suggestion and also use Polarizer. After that use PS to adjust. Well I really don't know how to get deep blue sky like Fuji Velvia film without PS.

    You can browse through some of my blue sky pics from my Singapore album http://www.jinolee.com/gallery/view_...umName=album51

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    ND Grad is a good suggestion and also use Polarizer. After that use PS to adjust. Well I really don't know how to get deep blue sky like Fuji Velvia film without PS. You can browse through my blue sky pic from my Singapore album http://www.jinolee.com/gallery/view_...umName=album51
    Tx for the information. Will try.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion
    Singapore sky is quite difficult to get blue sky in comparison with temperate countries. When I try to get the blue sky with a subject in front, it tends to underexpose the subject. If I use flash, sometimes, it tend to blow out.

    Can anyone here advise how to get it right everytime? Care to share some general settings?
    U can also use a polariser.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    ND Grad is a good suggestion and also use Polarizer. After that use PS to adjust. Well I really don't know how to get deep blue sky like Fuji Velvia film without PS.

    You can browse through some of my blue sky pics from my Singapore album http://www.jinolee.com/gallery/view_...umName=album51
    I saw those pics. Nice pics. Tx for sharing.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    A big step is to expose it right on the right day at the right time. The other thing that helps a lot is a polariser. The second doesn't work without the first.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion
    I am currently using the B & W UV and anti haze filter. Does it help? Cost quite a bit
    I'm no expert in filters, but methinks UV/anti-haze filters are supposed to give "clearer" images over distance. The problem with shooting skies is the high contrast between sky and foreground, so UV filters would not really solve the problem of getting both exposed correctly. UV/skylight filters are usually just used as a protection for the front lens element, and not so much for the effect they're supposed to have on an image.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    ND Grad is a good suggestion and also use Polarizer. After that use PS to adjust. Well I really don't know how to get deep blue sky like Fuji Velvia film without PS.

    You can browse through some of my blue sky pics from my Singapore album http://www.jinolee.com/gallery/view_...umName=album51
    Nice. Your Chinese Garden CH21 blew me away, man...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    The thing is that you have to have blue, clear sky. Not light blue sky. Time of the day also affects the effect of the polarising filter.

    You seem to be caught in a backlit situation. Use your camera to meter off the sky to correctly expose that, and let the flash light up the foreground where you subject is.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by tamiya_model
    The thing is that you have to have blue, clear sky. Not light blue sky. Time of the day also affects the effect of the polarising filter.

    You seem to be caught in a backlit situation. Use your camera to meter off the sky to correctly expose that, and let the flash light up the foreground where you subject is.
    Pardon my ignorance and stupidity. Can u explain more on meter off the blue sky?

    I have also tried a method used by my friends. Aperture not less than F7.1, Full power. Results of those experiment is not very consistent though.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    I assume you are on Aperture Priority, at f/7.1. You point your camera to the sky to get the in-camera's suggested metering for the sky, that is the correct exposture your camera shows you so you don't underexpose/overexpose the sky. That is metering off the sky using your camera's metering system.
    I would suggest the following procedure to achieve consistent results. Set to manual mode using the metered shutter value and the aperture (f/7.1), while leaving the flash to auto. The flash would correct for the lack of ambient light/backlighting on the portraits. Plus and minus power on the flash when necessary. You would realise that using a manual setting would prevent your in camera meter from running loose and choosing whatever exposture it likes. Flash control on the flash unit also becomes more easy.

    Tweak the manual settings accordingly to changing situations.

    I do this for my events too. By setting my camera on manual, say 1/100 at f/4 depending on situation, I let my flash compensate for the lack of light. This way, I can be sure that I don't get subject movement. Moreover, you will notice that plus minusing flash power makes a difference. I.E. more control.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by tamiya_model
    I assume you are on Aperture Priority, at f/7.1. You point your camera to the sky to get the in-camera's suggested metering for the sky, that is the correct exposture your camera shows you so you don't underexpose/overexpose the sky. That is metering off the sky using your camera's metering system.
    I would suggest the following procedure to achieve consistent results. Set to manual mode using the metered shutter value and the aperture (f/7.1), while leaving the flash to auto. The flash would correct for the lack of ambient light/backlighting on the portraits. Plus and minus power on the flash when necessary. You would realise that using a manual setting would prevent your in camera meter from running loose and choosing whatever exposture it likes. Flash control on the flash unit also becomes more easy.

    Tweak the manual settings accordingly to changing situations.

    I do this for my events too. By setting my camera on manual, say 1/100 at f/4 depending on situation, I let my flash compensate for the lack of light. This way, I can be sure that I don't get subject movement. Moreover, you will notice that plus minusing flash power makes a difference. I.E. more control.
    Thanks for the information. Never tot of setting the Flash mode to auto when going for blue sky. I actually used full manual control most of the time for my body and flash. Seems very very logical to me with regards to your suggestion. Will try out tomorrow.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    hmmmm how about praying?

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    hmmmm how about praying?
    Best suggestion I've ever had! Ditto it!

  17. #17

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion
    Singapore sky is quite difficult to get blue sky in comparison with temperate countries. When I try to get the blue sky with a subject in front, it tends to underexpose the subject. If I use flash, sometimes, it tend to blow out.

    Can anyone here advise how to get it right everytime? Care to share some general settings?
    Shoot with the sun 45 degrees up directly behind you. Your subjects are illuminated, the sky 45 degrees above in front are the most strongly polarized. You will get nice blue sky. Of course you must not have those overcast skies, otherwise you can try what Chris Lim suggested.

    D70s - resized only, no other PP.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    A big step is to expose it right on the right day at the right time. The other thing that helps a lot is a polariser. The second doesn't work without the first.
    Simply put, but I got to agree with it too. Assuming you shoot when the sun is low in the sky, near the horizon (near sunrise or sunset), and on a very clear day, it is possible to get a pleasing blue sky without the use of any filters or aggressive post-processing.

    Setting an increased Saturation on your camera may also help.

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Simply put, but I got to agree with it too. Assuming you shoot when the sun is low in the sky, near the horizon (near sunrise or sunset), and on a very clear day, it is possible to get a pleasing blue sky without the use of any filters or aggressive post-processing.

    Setting an increased Saturation on your camera may also help.
    Always remember.. the bluest part of the sky is always 90 degrees from the sun. So if you make an L-shape with your thumb and forefinger and point the forefinger at the sun, the bluest part of the sky will be where the thumb is pointing. So you can rotate the arm while keeping the finger pointed toward the sun and the arc that the thumb traces will be the zone of blue sky.

    Which is why you get the bluest sky when the sun is about 45 or 60 degrees up and directly behind you, so that the blue sky is 45 to 30 degrees up from the horizon in front. So sunrise and sunset are not really good to get blue sky unless you're just shooting the sky which is almost overhead or shooting north or south.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th September 2006 at 04:35 PM.

  20. #20
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to get blue sky?

    i dunno about the angles but i get blue skies in the morning
    and without filters

    look here for blue sky shots with a P&S camera

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=210624
    Last edited by ortega; 7th September 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •