Thread: too low humidity.....

Default too low humidity.....

er.......I just bought a dry box yesterday with a hydrometer.
    and put in some silical gel...and guess what.....the next day the hydrometer shows "0" my god.........this means have been keeping my equipment in this humidity for like one month !!!

[cos previous dry box did not have hydrometer!!! and is smaller! and same amt of gel!]

in too low humid...what will happen to the equipment???
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

over an extended period, the leather and rubber components start to crack and disintegrate due to the dryness. And also the lubricating oil on the lens aperture starts to dry up.

What you should do is to reduce the amount of silica gel you put in the box. An RH of around 45 to 50% is sufficient.

ic.....thankx...hope not too late? i put a 1.3MP camera in it.....for one month liao!

then i read that we should take out our lens from the casing when storing inside...is it a must?
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

Originally posted by digi~ET
    ic.....thankx...hope not too late? i put a 1.3MP camera in it.....for one month liao!

then i read that we should take out our lens from the casing when storing inside...is it a must?
    yes... it's advisable, not a must.

Ok. dumb question here. How do you know your lens is mouldy? when you physically see it? blurry and stuff? patchy?

Originally posted by Silverelf
    Ok. dumb question here. How do you know your lens is mouldy? when you physically see it? blurry and stuff? patchy?
    Do this in a relative dark room in front of a fluorescent table lamp. Open the aperture to the widest, look through the lens into an area near the light (i.e. such that the light shines into the lens but is not visible to you) If you let the light shine directly into your eye then it will obscure any fungus also. Any fungus should show up as a thready, cob-web like thing. Remember, don't look right through the lens but instead at the various elements within the lens.

regards
    andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew

Do this in a relative dark room in front of a fluorescent table lamp. Open the aperture to the widest, look through the lens into an area near the light (i.e. such that the light shines into the lens but is not visible to you) If you let the light shine directly into your eye then it will obscure any fungus also. Any fungus should show up as a thready, cob-web like thing. Remember, don't look right through the lens but instead at the various elements within the lens.

regards
    andrew
    that's the method for SLR lenses....
    digicam ar? don't know how lor....