Thread: Using external flash outdoor

Default Using external flash outdoor

Bros, newbie here and just wondering why photographers use external flash even when taking pictures outdoor, under bright sunlight. I am just curious to know as I don't really understand it as I thought the outdoor sunlight should be good enough brightness to take a decent good pictures.

Thanks for advice. Cheers

Default Re: Using external flash outdoor

Its used as a fill flash to reduce the shadows cast by the face due. Esp cailly useful for creating a catchlight in the eyes too.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

As raptor said above :/ The catchlight in the eyes really makes a difference.

Sunlight can be quite harsh and if you're using a Nikon flash you can set it to [TTL][BL] and the fill effect will be nearly inperceptable. You might want to stop down the flash by -1.3 or -1.7EV if the fill light becomes too dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by RailGun
    As raptor said above :/ The catchlight in the eyes really makes a difference.

Sunlight can be quite harsh and if you're using a Nikon flash you can set it to [TTL][BL] and the fill effect will be nearly inperceptable. You might want to stop down the flash by -1.3 or -1.7EV if the fill light becomes too dominant.
    Thanks bro for yr advice, got it. Cheers.