Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: D80 vs 400D?

  1. #1

    Default D80 vs 400D?

    D80 or 400D. tried both at the comex. they seem very similar to me, other than (of course) the lens difference, and (hence?) the price difference.

    are there any other major differences?

  2. #2

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by dun.ask
    D80 or 400D. tried both at the comex. they seem very similar to me, other than (of course) the lens difference, and (hence?) the price difference.

    are there any other major differences?
    i was abt to post a comparisan between the D70s n 400D (almost same price range) Went to comex today n cant decide on either one . The 400D's pics looks so much more vibrant n colorful n sharp compared to the D70s IMHO .

    Anyway i think the difference is the feel between the D80 n 400D ... held both and the the former feels so much more solid . The 400D is just a tad too small m plasticky . Now i m torned between the D70s n the 400D

  3. #3

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    So, do u buy a camera to hold well, or use it as a tool to take nicer pictures b4 postprocessing?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    So, do u buy a camera to hold well, or use it as a tool to take nicer pictures b4 postprocessing?
    Both, IMHO, are equally important ... In fact, whether u can hold the cam well is often the deciding factor in whether u can get a nice pic

  5. #5

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by midicity
    So, do u buy a camera to hold well, or use it as a tool to take nicer pictures b4 postprocessing?
    yah actually this was what i told my colleague too but his reply was " if u dont like wat u hold , wat makes u think u can take beautiful pics with it?"

    When i held the 400D my fingers have to be very near each other , whereas when i held the D80 my fingers can be comfortably spread ard the cam. I n thinkin of getting the 400D and add the batt pack , dunno if this helps ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    yah actually this was what i told my colleague too but his reply was " if u dont like wat u hold , wat makes u think u can take beautiful pics with it?"

    When i held the 400D my fingers have to be very near each other , whereas when i held the D80 my fingers can be comfortably spread ard the cam. I n thinkin of getting the 400D and add the batt pack , dunno if this helps ?
    try the D80... without that 18-135 kit lens the body price is very close to 400d kit - 100(18-55 kit lens). D70s is using a 2yrs+ old technology thus not really a fair comparison with the newer dSLR.

  7. #7

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    is D80 dimension bigger than D70s

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    yah actually this was what i told my colleague too but his reply was " if u dont like wat u hold , wat makes u think u can take beautiful pics with it?"

    When i held the 400D my fingers have to be very near each other , whereas when i held the D80 my fingers can be comfortably spread ard the cam. I n thinkin of getting the 400D and add the batt pack , dunno if this helps ?
    I've got quite big fingers and the battery grip on the 350D really helps a lot - somewhere for my little finger to go. Actually I find the battery grip in portrait orientation is better than landscape - it feels a bit wider. Encourages more portrait oriented pics that's for sure (which is good as far as I'm concerned).

    I don't regret getting the 350D but I do wish it was a bit bigger for handling... will save up for the 30D successor...
    Last edited by Robbo73; 1st September 2006 at 07:11 PM.
    Robbo

  9. #9

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    Both, IMHO, are equally important ... In fact, whether u can hold the cam well is often the deciding factor in whether u can get a nice pic
    This means it's impossible to produce a good image with a compact camera.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  10. #10

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    thks for all your inputs .. actually was really keen on the D70s but after tryin both the 400D n D70s today .... i personally feel that the 400D is more value for money . Only thing holding me back is the feel ......

    i lean towards the 400D now .. price also affordable ... sigh ....... d70s or 400d ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    The 400D beats the D70s hands down, even though the former is lighter and more plasticky build wise. Megapixel count wise the D70s can't match the 400D and they are very similar pricewise. Didn't even see a D50 anywhere! And I think that Nikon are trying to let go of existing stock of the D70s, what wiith all the freebies to sweeten the deal. Personally I don't think the D70s is that great a deal. Heck even the 350D, Olympus or Pentax can match it and cheaper too.

    Obviously if one compares the D80 to the 400D (both with kit lens), there's a $600 difference, which to me makes the Canon more attractive, even though the D80 kit lens has a wider range.

    Then again the comparison is between cameras with Canon's CMOS vs Nikon's CCD sensors.

  12. #12

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    wats the diff between cmos n ccd ?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff
    The 400D beats the D70s hands down, even though the former is lighter and more plasticky build wise. Megapixel count wise the D70s can't match the 400D and they are very similar pricewise. Didn't even see a D50 anywhere! And I think that Nikon are trying to let go of existing stock of the D70s, what wiith all the freebies to sweeten the deal. Personally I don't think the D70s is that great a deal. Heck even the 350D, Olympus or Pentax can match it and cheaper too.

    Obviously if one compares the D80 to the 400D (both with kit lens), there's a $600 difference, which to me makes the Canon more attractive, even though the D80 kit lens has a wider range.

    Then again the comparison is between cameras with Canon's CMOS vs Nikon's CCD sensors.
    should be Canon's CMOS vs Sony's CCD...

    wats the diff between cmos n ccd ?
    nothing important. as long as the camera is then it is
    anyway do test out the newer Nikon body like d50 and d80. the D50 have proven that Nikon have improved ALOT in noise control over the D70s
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 1st September 2006 at 08:02 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    The 400D's pics looks so much more vibrant n colorful n sharp compared to the D70s IMHO .
    Dont forget that D70s defaults to sRGB Mode Ia instead of Mode IIIa. Mode Ia is less vibrant but produces more pleasing skin tones. So a comparison would only be fair if both D70s and 400D were set to the same color mode.
    Videographer @ A Merry Moment

  15. #15

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    hmm. for the feel, it will be good if you add a battery grip. yup. i ordered mine! waiting for it now...
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

  16. #16

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by flightspeed
    When i held the 400D my fingers have to be very near each other , whereas when i held the D80 my fingers can be comfortably spread ard the cam. I n thinkin of getting the 400D and add the batt pack , dunno if this helps ?
    if u wanna buy the camera, the basic got to work in the first place instead of thinking to plus the accessories to make it work
    Last edited by globalshooter; 1st September 2006 at 11:56 PM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff
    The 400D beats the D70s hands down, even though the former is lighter and more plasticky build wise. Megapixel count wise the D70s can't match the 400D and they are very similar pricewise. Didn't even see a D50 anywhere! And I think that Nikon are trying to let go of existing stock of the D70s, what wiith all the freebies to sweeten the deal. Personally I don't think the D70s is that great a deal. Heck even the 350D, Olympus or Pentax can match it and cheaper too.

    Obviously if one compares the D80 to the 400D (both with kit lens), there's a $600 difference, which to me makes the Canon more attractive, even though the D80 kit lens has a wider range.

    Then again the comparison is between cameras with Canon's CMOS vs Nikon's CCD sensors.
    Actually it is possible to get the D80 body alone for around $1550 now. So the price difference is not that much different from the 400D if you consider canon threw in a cheaper $100 kit lens Not to mention the D80 is available now whereas the 400D is only a preorder item BB
    Last edited by akira; 1st September 2006 at 11:36 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    i have test the 2 bodies.

    400D's built is not as solid as D80. the body is shorter and narrower. when i am holding 400D, my fingers are squeezed. the AF is quick and the colour is good... CMOS mah.

    D80 is slightly smaller than D70s, other than the built, i like the new tech is packaged in this new cam. the new metering system beats D70s hands down. The noise control as high ISO has improved tremendously. Catching up with canon.

    my pick: D80

  19. #19

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    nothing important. as long as the camera is then it is
    It should be: As long as the photographer is then the camera is .

    If the photographer is , regardless of how good or expensive the camera is, it still don't perform.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: D80 vs 400D?

    i chose canon (using 350D now) because of it's low noise capabilities. shoot ISO1600 and compare between 400D and d70/d80.IMHO, the canon wins hands down. plus colours are the trademark canon warm and vibrant colours that are strong in the reds. i personally would go for the 400D. or get a 350D 2nd hand for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •