Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Impressions on the K100D

Default Re: Impressions on the K100D

K100D is a gd camera.. Enjoy ur new cam bro.. I will spread the words to some of my frenz who are intending to get a dslr about ur *istDL..

Quote Originally Posted by southernoise View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm selling my *istDL for the K100D cos I don't think I'll ever need to K10D. In fact the *istDL does almost everything I need from a DSLR but the anti shake and the upgrade or DIEEE mentality just keep bugging me everyday.

Spread the love will ya all?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=230461
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Hi guys,

I'm torn between getting a K100D now... or waiting for the K10D...

Anyway, does anyone knows the price of a K100D now? And where to buy it?

How abt a good Pentax lense for portrait shots?

Thanks,
    Eric

Hi,

Previous post was saying Alan Photo@SLS is offering the Kits + 1GB + bag for S$1020.

how much is 50-200mm anyway? I thought of ggetting 18-200mm coz it's good walkabout lens..and may satisfy the range for awhile till i get the 70-300mm. I read that k100d kit lens doesnt perform well due to high distortions and vignetting. I must admit it by the way, it is sharp on most pictures. So, if i were to get 18-200mm lens, it will have quite high distortions and slight vignetting with quite sharp images, it worth to get 18-200mm. correct me if im wrong. just dont screw me upside down lar

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    K100D is a gd camera.. Enjoy ur new cam bro.. I will spread the words to some of my frenz who are intending to get a dslr about ur *istDL..
    thanks bro! appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by crimson1d View Post
    how much is 50-200mm anyway? I thought of ggetting 18-200mm coz it's good walkabout lens..and may satisfy the range for awhile till i get the 70-300mm. I read that k100d kit lens doesnt perform well due to high distortions and vignetting. I must admit it by the way, it is sharp on most pictures. So, if i were to get 18-200mm lens, it will have quite high distortions and slight vignetting with quite sharp images, it worth to get 18-200mm. correct me if im wrong. just dont screw me upside down lar
    I just sold my Sigma 70-300 to a nice gentleman after I bought the 18-200mm.
    Distortions aside, its a very versatile lens and makes a perfect replacement for your 18-55mm. The 18-200 is only a hair's breadth longer than the kit lens (well...almost!).
    I will miss the 300mm though...heh heh
    As I have mentioned elsewhere, the 70-300 seems to yield better image quality as compared with the 18-200, probably because the latter is an insane x11 optical zoom (almost as good as my 12x Panasonic FZ7 P&S camera!) while the 70-300 is around x4 only. As for vignetting, I never noticed any so far.

Hi,
    Can someone tell me what the current street price (incl GST) is on the K100D incl kit lens. (I believe 18-55mm f3.5-5.6?) I am a complete n00b when it comes to dslrs, so would this lens be good enough for the first few months? Will it do macro?

I wont be printing at all (lol, just viewing on the PC) at least for now, and mostly what I want to shoot : landscapes-day and night, macros and maybe a few cats and dogs lol. Will the kit lens suffice for this?

If anyone could be so kind as to post 100% cropped images from the kit lens as examples, I would be most grateful.

I was initially considering the Canon S3 IS, but if the price is not too much higher, I am thinking of the K100D too.

The price will be ranging from S$1000 - S$1100 ..depends which shop you will be going. It's best to be patient and scout the prices over some shops and what other offers they will be giving with the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by skypacker View Post
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me what the current street price (incl GST) is on the K100D incl kit lens. (I believe 18-55mm f3.5-5.6?) I am a complete n00b when it comes to dslrs, so would this lens be good enough for the first few months? Will it do macro?

I wont be printing at all (lol, just viewing on the PC) at least for now, and mostly what I want to shoot : landscapes-day and night, macros and maybe a few cats and dogs lol. Will the kit lens suffice for this?

If anyone could be so kind as to post 100% cropped images from the kit lens as examples, I would be most grateful.

I was initially considering the Canon S3 IS, but if the price is not too much higher, I am thinking of the K100D too.
    don't worry...I'm a noob too.
    i was so "green" that when I went to buy my first istDL, I don't even know how to put on the lens! the seller had to show it to me...heh heh but you will slowly learn the basics.
    if you do not need to print, 4MP is good enough already!

Hi,

I don't think the 18-55mm kit lens will be able to do macro when compared it to the digicam's macro like Canon S3 IS. An additional macro lens will be useful for macro work. otherwise, get a cheap 50mm and use it on a reversing ring for close up macro.

I think it is pointless to compare a digicam/prosumer (like S3 IS) to a SLR camera. Each has their long and short in their different class.

A SLR camera is a 'system'. A lens interchangeable system where you use different lens for different purpose. There are versatile lenses that cover angle from wide to telephoto plus macro functions. A SLR 'system' allows you to have full control of your picture composition in term of depth-of-field(DOF) which can't really get from digicam. When you have the 'tool' to control your DOF, you can get object in picture that looks like 3 dimension.

A digicam/prosumer is so handy. You can do the 10cm macro shoot easily. zoom in and out, pop a flash and snap.

Generally, I think it is advisable for people who are looking for dSLR system to think if they really need it. In today fast pace of computing and electronic, technology just keep advancing. A digicam/prosumer will deem old and phase out in barely 2yrs of their launch. So it is quite a waste of money to buy a digicam today, use for 2yrs life and start getting another new one again. SLR is different, it is a system as a whole. The lenses of SLR is meant to be use for a life time as long as the brand exist in the market. And as long as the camera maker continue to support the mount design. With a SLR system, you can grow with it. Learn photography and appreciate picture better.

Pentax is the only japanese brand in the market that continue to support their K-mount system since the manual focusing K-mount days. Their lenses as old as 40yrs can still be use on today dSLR. 'C' ditch their FD-mount for EF mount when they go AF, causing all users to invest in a new system all over again. 'N' is close as they retain their F-mount when they go AF. But these days of digital, their dSLR don't meter through the manual F-mount lenses anymore. They are not compatible anymore... The recent 'S' is even more scary, in the cooperate world of acquisition, you wont know what they are going to do with their mount design. Whether they will continue to support it or scrape it off with newer design.

K100D is a very good camera at the price it is being offered on the shelf.

At the end of the day, a camera is just a tool to help you capture moments... and enjoy photography..

cheersss..
    Last edited by seafone; 27th October 2006 at 10:01 AM.

I agree with you, seafone!

To me, I see digicams as "laptops", being stylish, highly portable and offers decent performance but are not really upgradable nor as powerful as desktop computers.

On the other hand, DSLRs are like "ATX towers" (the desktop PC unit
    ), bigger and bulkier but offers solid performance and offers plenty of choice to upgrading.

As seafone said, a camera is just a tool. Your skills and feelings are the ones that will help you take a better picture

p.s. Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. Using a Canon S80 at the moment, but looking for my first DSLR, either the Pentax K100D or K10D to expand on my hobby.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 28th October 2006 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    I don't think the 18-55mm kit lens will be able to do macro when compared it to the digicam's macro like Canon S3 IS. An additional macro lens will be useful for macro work. otherwise, get a cheap 50mm and use it on a reversing ring for close up macro.
    What about if combined with extension tubes?
    Any where to buy C&G ones in SG?
    What 50mm are cheap in SG?
    ~*phanTAsmal*~ [Panasonic Tz7 & Pentax K10D]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40633616@N00/

Seafone, thank you very much for the informative post. After contemplating the pros and cons of each, and also reexamining my budget for the moment, I have decided to go with the S3 IS. Probably next year sometime I hope to buy a dslr.

Seafone, thank you very much for the informative post. After contemplating the pros and cons of each, and also reexamining my budget for the moment, I have decided to go with the S3 IS. Probably next year sometime I hope to buy a dslr.
    The K100D is only a little more expensive than the S3 IS (I would have chosen the Panasonic FZ7 over the canon!) and its image capturing performance in low light is significant over the P&S...

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    The K100D is only a little more expensive than the S3 IS (I would have chosen the Panasonic FZ7 over the canon!) and its image capturing performance in low light is significant over the P&S...
    Hi airconvent, why would you choose a FZ7 over the S3? I understand that it is a rather noisy camera, like most of the superzoom panasonics are, above ISO100. Does it offer any advantage over the S3? (Can you kindly PM me or post your opinion in the S3 thread in the canon section, since this is a K100D thread and may not be suitable for discussing the fz7 and s3)

The base price for the K100D is about $400 more, which by itself is acceptable for a one-time hit on the wallet (lol), but that would also mean that i cannot buy any additional lenses for now. And I am not sure if it is a good idea to be stuck with the sole 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 for a few months.

Hi airconvent, why would you choose a FZ7 over the S3? I understand that it is a rather noisy camera, like most of the superzoom panasonics are, above ISO100. Does it offer any advantage over the S3? (Can you kindly PM me or post your opinion in the S3 thread in the canon section, since this is a K100D thread and may not be suitable for discussing the fz7 and s3)

The base price for the K100D is about $400 more, which by itself is acceptable for a one-time hit on the wallet (lol), but that would also mean that i cannot buy any additional lenses for now. And I am not sure if it is a good idea to be stuck with the sole 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 for a few months.
    Hi
    If you do a search on the Panasonic forums, you will see some comparisons.
    From the dpreview, noise on the s3 is not very good either. but the mega ois works better and it IS cheaper than the s3. ok..off topic over..heh heh
    For the K100D, if you do not want to pay so much, you can try for an older istDL at $999.
    I have found the kit lens to be very useful : wide angle plus a little zoom.
    Of course, because I wanted a little more zoom, I went ahead and bought a sigma 18-200mm for the range. otherwise if budget is an issue, you can get by on thr 18-55 very well.

I'd probably pick the fujifilm S6500fd over the S3IS... u should take a look at the fuji..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345