Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Macro Lens for Food Pics

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    102

    Default Macro Lens for Food Pics

    I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

    I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    You can also look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro or the Canon 100mm Macro USM

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    60mm +/- would be better since food is pretty big and you don really need the working distance of 90mm+ macro lens

  4. #4

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    60mm +/- would be better since food is pretty big and you don really need the working distance of 90mm+ macro lens
    I fully agree. I am a working professional who shoot food and food products. My working lens is a Nikkor 60mm Micro f2.8 AFD. The Tamron 90mm is just too long, thus impractical for such tasks.
    Last edited by photobum; 31st August 2006 at 11:22 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Holland Village, Singapore
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot
    I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

    I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?
    you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by scubasimon
    you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.

    This is a good lens to use too. I have this lens also, but I used the 60mm more because my clients prefer the traditional look (short DOF selective focus). Sometimes it is not what you wants but who pays your bills.
    Last edited by photobum; 1st September 2006 at 08:10 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    A friend who is working for a travel magazine specialing in culinary uses the Canon 50/1.4 USM glass along with his CZ T* 50/1.4 and 35 /2.0 with his 20D body for food shots.

    Some of his personal snaps are @ http://marchellinus.multiply.com/photos/album/61
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    how about the new canon 50mm f.1.2 u will really get a shallow depth of field

  9. #9

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    too shallow also hard...for me, i use the 24-70mm2.8

    see food photography in my website

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Thanks for your inputs.

    My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

    Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

    Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

    Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Maybe top food photogs use a VIEW camera.
    Lens is whatever they choose .. Rodenstock or Schneider or Zeiss or Nikon or Fuji.....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Macro Lens for Food Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot
    Thanks for your inputs.

    My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

    Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

    Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

    Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?
    Perhaps you could try a tilt/shift lens? It would give you ultimate control over your DOF. If you want to get one cheaply you can try looking for a Hartblei Super rotator. If you have the budget perhaps a canon 45/2.8 tilt/shift would serve you well too.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •