Thread: Discouraged

Supergal
    Guests

Default Discouraged

Ugh. I've been shooting pictures of my kids all day, trying to get a decent shot of them. It's been a horrible failure. Harsh shadows everywhere, the light in the house is too orange without setting the white balance, and everything looks really really bad if I use the built in flash on this camera. If I use the white balance for incandesant lighting, the shutter speed is too slow and the kids are wiggling.

I'm starting to think I'll never get a good shot with this camera. I've owned it for half a year, (Coolpix 5000) and still have yet to get a decent shot out of it.

I know there are days like these. But this is just ridiculous. I have read, and re-read the manual. The only thing it looks like it will be good at is macro shots, which I'm tired of doing. It's all I EVER do.

This is more of a vent than anything else, someone tell me I'll eventually get the hang of it. Please.

Oh, and someone please tell me if I should just avoid using the built in flash on the camera or what. Every time I've ever used it, the pictures come out HORRIBLE. Too harsh. Huge shadows.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Supergal
    Guests

Oh, and I might also mention that what's aggrivating is that I used to take beautiful shots with my old camera, which I sold to get this one.

How abt getting an external flash for your cam?

Supergal
    Guests

The problem with that is, I'm afraid of buying a flash, why spend money on something that so far has done nothing but ruin every shot I take? How is MORE flash going to solve that?

Originally posted by Supergal
    The problem with that is, I'm afraid of buying a flash, why spend money on something that so far has done nothing but ruin every shot I take? How is MORE flash going to solve that?
    With external flash, you can better control the flash intensity. Can add omnibounce/diffusee or tilt the head left/right/up/down to bounce of the ceiling, walls etc unlike an internal flash.

One of the pros who used to(where is he now?) post portrait pictures in clubsnap doesn't believe in flash. He uses studio lighting or natural light. Check out his pictures.

softlite

Or you may want to consider joining us for one the SEEDs or photoshoots? Ther are bound to be people who will be happy to share their experience and know-hows with you... Pictures are still more powerful than words!

Supergal
    Guests

I want to take portraits like that (softlite). But my shots NEVER turn out. I know it's the lighting. But how do you get lighting, AND background, AND subject working all together like that? If I have good light, it seems I have a bad background, or if I have bad light, I have the PERFECT background.

Or you may want to consider joining us for one the SEEDs or photoshoots? Ther are bound to be people who will be happy to share their experience and know-hows with you... Pictures are still more powerful than words
    What is SEEDS?

The answer to this is indeed MORE flash.

With the puny built-in flash you are limited to throwing the light from a tiny source at a direct angle which will always cause harsh shadows.

With an external flash, you would be able to bounce the light from the ceiling which gives the effect of light coming down from the ceiling, resulting in a much more natural result.

You will have to try it to see, a cheap auto flash can be had starting from $60 for those Suntax/Achiever ones, it will be well worth the price if it allows you to get more utility out of your 1K+ CP5000 purchase.

I want to take portraits like that (softlite). But my shots NEVER turn out. I know it's the lighting. But how do you get lighting, AND background, AND subject working all together like that? If I have good light, it seems I have a bad background, or if I have bad light, I have the PERFECT background.

Get the lighting right first. I don't think Alex uses special background. His pictures just look great because of the model's pose and of course lighting which leads to the perfect exposure. And btw, he uses film(minolta something) and digital(Olympus E10).

Originally posted by AdamGoi
    Or you may want to consider joining us for one the SEEDs or photoshoots? Ther are bound to be people who will be happy to share their experience and know-hows with you... Pictures are still more powerful than words!
    Adam, Supergal is based somewherein good ol' USA so it would be abit hard for her to join us at SEED.

Anyway Supergal, if you don't mind, why don't you post some shots taht you deem "horrible" and maybe the more experienced photographers here can provide some pointers to help you rectify your shots?

Anyway, don't give up!

Keep shooting!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by maddog

One of the pros who used to(where is he now?) post portrait pictures in clubsnap doesn't believe in flash. He uses studio lighting or natural light. Check out his pictures.

softlite
    Studio lighting CAN be flash. Huge ones, with softboxes and umbrellas.

Supergal - what you've experienced is the inherent problem of consumer/prosumer digital cameras. Notably slow AF and horrible internal flash. Your previous film camera probably will not have these issues, particularly if it's of the SLR type.

If the camera supports it, an external flash will give you far more control over the lighting effects. Like the others mentioned, bouncing external flash will give you very nice, soft lighting.

Finally, this may sound stupid, but use a lower shutter speed of ~1/30-1/60s, wide open if possible. Set flash to 2nd curtain sync if possible, if not use regular slow sync. This gives you a much better flash-to-ambient lighting ratio. Don't worry too much about movement, the flash will freeze it.

Regards
    CK

Smile I am still here?

Just noticed the traffic to my site from Clubsnap. Happy New Year, everyone.

Yes, I either use natural light or studio light with a softbox and/or an umbrella. I never use the on camera flash. The tiny on camera flash gives unwelcome shadows and harsh looking lighting. Here is a recent photo using just natural light at wide open aperture, a little soft, but I like the lighting.

Happy Shooting, Alex
    Not a pro yet, still an engineer.
    Softlite Photo

Cool Outdoor

Hey Supergal:

Take the kids outdoor on a sunny day, find an area with no direct sunlight, point their little faces toward the direction of the brightest light and shoot away.

Are you shooting digital or film, a faster film may help.

Keep shooting, the more you shoot the better you will get.

Alex
    Softlite

or you can bring them to playgrounds or beach, when kids are engrossed in their activities, you can definitely take good expression shots ^.^ The natural light is a good fill light to use also

I had some children shots (not mine though ^.^) in my pbase.com gallery. Maybe it can give you some ideas