Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad photo taking experience anyone?

yup i think roy was really unappreciated then. wonder how the groom and bride when someone gave them a $2 red packet when attending their dinner

btw, explanade cannot shoot photos? i shot inside the library ...

Deregistered

Originally posted by ahguan

yup i think roy was really unappreciated then. wonder how the groom and bride when someone gave them a $2 red packet when attending their dinner

btw, explanade cannot shoot photos? i shot inside the library ...
    you mean, the NLB library inside, right? that's a different entity altogether, so you shouldn't get chased out from there...

Originally posted by roygoh
    Let me tell you guys my story that happened many years ago.

A friend asked me to be his wedding photographer for the dinner reception. On that evening, he told me to control the number of shots, and only shoot when he asked me to. Since he was the "client" and that was his request, I tried my best to oblige.

Being quite experienced in wedding photo already back then, I tried to restrict my shots to the scenes which I think are absolutely the most important ones. My estimation was that I was taking at about 1/5 the rate that I would do normally. Even so, he seem quite worried that I will take too many shots and occassionally would turn to me and make the "cool/calm down" hand signal to ask me to slow down.

The worst part came when the couple and the family went around the tables for the yum sengs. I had to follow him around with my camera, and only take a picture when he signalled to me.

Since there are many other friends at that wedding dinner, alot of them noticed me acting like a "dummy" or "decorative" photographer who walked around the wedding banquet not taking any pictures.

I felt like such a clown.

At the end of the wedding, he asked for the film so that he can develop the photos himself. So I handed him the 3 rolls of film that I managed to expire, and he handed me a red packet as a token of appreciation. I opened the red packet when I got home, and there was S$2.00 inside. Yes, I did not make a mistake on the decimal point.

Till this day I have not seen the wedding photos I have taken that evening, nor have I kept in contact with this firend.

Thinking back after so many years, I still can't help feeing humiliated and insulted by the incident. I am sure my friend had his reasons for wanting to limit the number of photos taken during his wedding banquet, and it could have been an innocent mistake about the 2-dollar red packet. Furthermore, I have never expected payment when I take wedding photos for friends. However, the experience was just so unpleasant that I remembered it until this day.

Some people stage wedding dinner but sting on small things. Heehee.

Originally posted by digi~ET

wat.......i think the $2 red packet is really an insult man~~~~~
    dun give is better ~~ but wonder why ur friend so worried that u took too many.......tot this kind of occassion is the more the merrier?

For me this weekend has been a bad photo taking experience in a way....

My first full weekend off work in over 6 months so I decided to get out and take lots of pics with the 2 new camera outfits. Shot 8 rolls of Kodak E200 on the F80 and had filled my 256MB and 512MB flash cards on the Coolpix.

All the exposed rolls of film, both CF cards along with my SB-50DX flash and some filters were in my S&F 50AW pouch in my mates car out the front of his girl friends house.

After the BBQ this arvo, went out and and some one had decided to steal his car along with my 50 AW pouch.

I was almost going to leave my Lowepro Mini Trekker with both outfits in the car but decided to take that in with me.

Just have to find out what his insurance company will cover, but I am more upset about all the pics I have lost.

Least it isn't as bad as when I lost over 50,000 slides plus negs and prints in a house fire a few years back.
    Last edited by james m; 19th January 2003 at 05:09 PM.

Deregistered

i was reading on and on... and the it hit me like a sledgehammer - stolen car!

Originally posted by sehsuan

and the it hit me like a sledgehammer - stolen car!
    Lucky I didn't leave the Mini Trekker in the car. Not only was my gear in there but also my cousins new AF Nikkor 14mm and 80-400mm VR lenses I had for the weekend.

htennek
    Guests

there was this time when i just got into photography (i.e. last year) and was really excited about my 6 weeks backpacking trip to eastern europe. i hadn't any gear then so i borrowed my fren's really old eos 630.
    anyhow i started taking photos merrily and all and it was only a week later when i went to print my photos when i realised that there was something wrong with the camera! all the shots which i had set to aperture priority didn't come out (apparently there was something with the camera shutter. it wouldn't close or something if set above 500) and out of the 100 photos i took for that week, only about 20 came out. what made it worse was that i had brought only 1 camera, no money to repair it (budget trip) and had 5 weeks more to go in the trip.

Deregistered

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
    Lucky I didn't leave the Mini Trekker in the car. Not only was my gear in there but also my cousins new AF Nikkor 14mm and 80-400mm VR lenses I had for the weekend.
    PHEW!

but i feel for your pal, the car and the $$$....

and of course, your reels of film/media.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12