Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Watch out - another FREE magazine

  1. #1
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Watch out - another FREE magazine

    No, I'm not coming with my own magazine.

    I just got called up by a Mr Tan, who says he's from a Travel magazine. I thought his number was familiar, and I thought it was a prank call from a friend to disturb me. Once he started to talk, he asked if I know about the Sepang Motor GP races, and that he can get me an exclusive slot to go there to shoot, restricted access clearance etc. It would be a 3 day event. Sounds good, yeah?

    Until I asked him the rates the magazine would be paying. Then he asked, "Are you from Clubsnap?" I answered a resounding, "Yes". He stammered, and said his magazine doesn't pay. I asked, which magazine he's from, it's either Travel Singapore or Travel International, which I haven't heard of before - I don't read travel magazines, so I wouldn't know. I was thinking at least minimally, I'd go for 2000 bucks a DAY times 3 => S$6000. And that doesn't even include loaning a lens via the magazine from Canon SG (preferably a 600/4) to get some tight action shots. But wait, shoot for free? Oops, let's forget the 600/4 then. Wait, with my longest 70-200 without a TC, how am I gonna shoot motorbikes that far away? He asked again if I were from Clubsnap, and I said yes. Maybe he was at a busy and noisy place, so he couldn't hear me say it. Then I turned him down and said I will not consider shooting for FREE, and thus said bye, and hung up.

    Minutes later, I thought I wanted to clarify the name of the magazine to know the reach and establishment it has - so I called this Mr Tan back. I just introduced myself, and he went "HUH?" and I repeated my name to him. He repeated my name in a variety of names that none was close to my ACTUAL name. This went on for five to six times, and each time I got a NEW name that my parents didn't give me. He must have been really sincere, since he bothered to repeat my name, but unfortunately, read wrongly each time. He must have been really busy, calling up other photographers who were willing to work for FREE. In the end I just said, "forget it. What's the name of your magazine?" and he couldn't hear me. I couldn't pick up any busy street scenes that would not allow him to hear, maybe his hearing was impacted by an accident, I don't know. He said he'd SMS me back, but none was received. Guess he isn't too happy to share with me the name of his exclusive Sepang Motor-GP accredited magazine so that I may share with other photographers. I wonder why.

    Just thought that I'd be a nice guy and help him post online to get FREE photographers who are desperate, no, wait, KEEN to want to go Sepang to shoot. So the next time you get a call from 9420-3473, you know you'll be very welcome to shoot for FREE.

    If you think that IMF pays peanuts, you haven't seen nothing yet. I'm not sure if the IMF event was the one where I vaguely remember Korean farmers protesting and jumping into the cold Hong Kong harbor where the convention was held. Guess how popular IMF might be?

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    No, I'm not coming with my own magazine.

    I just got called up by a Mr Tan, who says he's from a Travel magazine. I thought his number was familiar, and I thought it was a prank call from a friend to disturb me. Once he started to talk, he asked if I know about the Sepang Motor GP races, and that he can get me an exclusive slot to go there to shoot, restricted access clearance etc. It would be a 3 day event. Sounds good, yeah?

    Until I asked him the rates the magazine would be paying. Then he asked, "Are you from Clubsnap?" I answered a resounding, "Yes". He stammered, and said his magazine doesn't pay. I asked, which magazine he's from, it's either Travel Singapore or Travel International, which I haven't heard of before - I don't read travel magazines, so I wouldn't know. I was thinking at least minimally, I'd go for 2000 bucks a DAY times 3 => S$6000. And that doesn't even include loaning a lens via the magazine from Canon SG (preferably a 600/4) to get some tight action shots. But wait, shoot for free? Oops, let's forget the 600/4 then. Wait, with my longest 70-200 without a TC, how am I gonna shoot motorbikes that far away? He asked again if I were from Clubsnap, and I said yes. Maybe he was at a busy and noisy place, so he couldn't hear me say it. Then I turned him down and said I will not consider shooting for FREE, and thus said bye, and hung up.

    Minutes later, I thought I wanted to clarify the name of the magazine to know the reach and establishment it has - so I called this Mr Tan back. I just introduced myself, and he went "HUH?" and I repeated my name to him. He repeated my name in a variety of names that none was close to my ACTUAL name. This went on for five to six times, and each time I got a NEW name that my parents didn't give me. He must have been really sincere, since he bothered to repeat my name, but unfortunately, read wrongly each time. He must have been really busy, calling up other photographers who were willing to work for FREE. In the end I just said, "forget it. What's the name of your magazine?" and he couldn't hear me. I couldn't pick up any busy street scenes that would not allow him to hear, maybe his hearing was impacted by an accident, I don't know. He said he'd SMS me back, but none was received. Guess he isn't too happy to share with me the name of his exclusive Sepang Motor-GP accredited magazine so that I may share with other photographers. I wonder why.

    Just thought that I'd be a nice guy and help him post online to get FREE photographers who are desperate, no, wait, KEEN to want to go Sepang to shoot. So the next time you get a call from 9420-3473, you know you'll be very welcome to shoot for FREE.

    If you think that IMF pays peanuts, you haven't seen nothing yet. I'm not sure if the IMF event was the one where I vaguely remember Korean farmers protesting and jumping into the cold Hong Kong harbor where the convention was held. Guess how popular IMF might be?

    Cheers!
    Been contacted by this person too. The website is http://www.travelasia.tv That is if we are talking about the same guy.

    I had a good chat with him, infact, he wanted me to help find a sponser to pay for 6 other photogs to get in with Dorna! It was hilarious.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    There we have it. Clubsnap as the targetted pool of free photographers, not just cheap photographers. I really wonder if the situation should really be left as it is.

  4. #4
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    hahaha.... revive my thread lo ... lol..... =X jking...

    always asking for free.... wads with these pple man....

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    blame the ppl who respond to the call for free photogs

  6. #6
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    blame the ppl who respond to the call for free photogs
    i have been hunting for these people for a long time...

    whats with free photography !!!!! its hurting the industry and hurting the professionals pocket !!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Its only because people continuesly offer a free service that many people keep requesting it!

  8. #8
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Its only because people continuesly offer a free service that many people keep requesting it!
    thats why.... i cant understand....

    i know where theres a demand theres a supply....

    and usually pple who shoot free are those buggers who are desperate to bulit up portfolio..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Heh i've had a similar expereince with another magazine too... they start out intrested in my pics then when i it comes to $$ talk they suddenly become quiet...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    wa seh!! we all shoot for free!! they take our pics and make $$!!
    wooooohooooo!!!

    by the way, got gothic theme not?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Had similar experience too from a travel agent, when discussed about $$, they went quiet.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    thats why.... i cant understand....

    i know where theres a demand theres a supply....

    and usually pple who shoot free are those buggers who are desperate to bulit up portfolio..
    Yup, kinda makes the phrase 'nothing comes for free' redundant, I kinda liked that phrase

    The sooner they learn, the sooner the demand will stop! Hopefully its only a matter of time.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    you know what? that number looks strangely familiar to me too!

  14. #14
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    you know what? that number looks strangely familiar to me too!
    ha.. they didnt call me what.. lols.....

    hahahahaha.. if they call me i will say. can. i can shoot for free 1yr for u.. BUT!! u must give me a D2xs + 400 f/2.8 + 600 f/4

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    ha.. they didnt call me what.. lols.....

    hahahahaha.. if they call me i will say. can. i can shoot for free 1yr for u.. BUT!! u must give me a D2xs + 400 f/2.8 + 600 f/4
    I think he will go very quite

    Actually, probably wont call you now after reading that post!

  16. #16
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    I think he will go very quite

    Actually, probably wont call you now after reading that post!
    ok la... i give him offer lo.... i want a 400 f/2.8 can liao... save him the 20k first...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    ok la... i give him offer lo.... i want a 400 f/2.8 can liao... save him the 20k first...
    Seriously not happening, I doubt they would even give you a glass of water let alone a huge lens like that!

  18. #18
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Seriously not happening, I doubt they would even give you a glass of water let alone a huge lens like that!
    its small compared to a 300-800 bigma thou... hahaha...

    that number is suuper duper familar.. where have i seen this......

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    its small compared to a 300-800 bigma thou... hahaha...

    that number is suuper duper familar.. where have i seen this......
    Under "Free Travel Agent" in the yellow pages?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Watch out - another FREE magazine

    Gentlemen, we are preaching to the choir here, unfortunately a small choir.

    How many of those self proclaimed newbies would have thrown their body and soul, cameras and lenses into such offers. I dare say, the percentage will be astonishingly large.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •