View Poll Results: Are there too many photographer-wannabe out there?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! But only a handful can make it there!

144 52.94%
  • No!! It happens in every trade!

128 47.06%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

Default Re: Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

well yes....and i am one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    i can't take u there! we can only be wannabe!

the slides and b/w master has been banned time and again...
    aiyoyo, y kenna banned???? then i hav to remain as wannabe 4ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Walk straight ahead, turn left at the end and the third room is the Operation Room.

The surgeon will be waiting for you.

I turn left is the massage parlour leh.....

"Too many photographer-wannabe out there!"

1. Too many? Was there a capacity issue in the first place?

2. Photographer-wannabe? What or who is a photographer in the first place?

a. Someone who took a photo?
    b. Someone who has a camera?

IMHO, anyone who is willing to pick up a camera and takes a shot is a phtographer. Maybe the distinction the Thread Starter is trying to make is against photographers who claim that they are "professional" because they own professional equipment.

Then again, anyone who takes photographs as a profession is a professional!

So, as the saying goes, "let a thousand flowers bloom!"

The more people taking up photography, the higher chances that there will be more professionals! And there will be greater works for nobodies like me to be inspired to take better photos!

I vote to change the title to:

"Not enough photographer-wannabe out there!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    ayiya... i dun need to say too much... just look at all the 'model-shoots'.... all dreaming to become the next-john-clang!!

who is john clang?
    i wanna be the next slides master!!! or the B/W master!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by S11loop
    You dont need to be a pro race driver to own a fast car .
    You dont need to be a pro photog to own a pro setup .

DSLR getting cheaper , more ppl start to buy . So nothing to rave about seriously , its just a product .
    i agree. Its abit of an overkill though...

"Too many photographer-wannabe out there!"

1. Too many? Was there a capacity issue in the first place?

2. Photographer-wannabe? What or who is a photographer in the first place?

a. Someone who took a photo?
    b. Someone who has a camera?

IMHO, anyone who is willing to pick up a camera and takes a shot is a phtographer. Maybe the distinction the Thread Starter is trying to make is against photographers who claim that they are "professional" because they own professional equipment.

Then again, anyone who takes photographs as a profession is a professional!

So, as the saying goes, "let a thousand flowers bloom!"

The more people taking up photography, the higher chances that there will be more professionals! And there will be greater works for nobodies like me to be inspired to take better photos!

I vote to change the title to:

"Not enough photographer-wannabe out there!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    i can't take u there! we can only be wannabe!

the slides and b/w master has been banned time and again...
    aiyoyo..... then i will remain as a wannabe liaoz.... no master to teach

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Walk straight ahead, turn left at the end and the third room is the Operation Room.

The surgeon will be waiting for you.
    I turn left is a massage parlour leh....

Yup. Too many.

And I'm one of 'em.

And there are times when I delude myself into thinking I'm actually not bad.

And then I start charging rates that undercut most everybody else.

And then I keep quiet and pretend that nothing has happened.

And even if something did happen, I'll pretend that there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm baaaad, yo...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Paiseh... what i meant is making $$ out of photography....another words being a PROFESSIONAL..
    OK, seriously.

What's wrong with making money out of photography? It doesn't necessarily mean I have to be a pro. Photography is an expensive hobby. And I am on miserable civil service pay (I'm no scholar-type, merely one of them bottom-feeders). So I need the extra dough to finance my gear. Maybe a bit of pocket money to pay the bills.

Is there anything wrong with that?

If as a "pro" you feel threatened by these wannabes, then the onus is on you to buck up and find the edge over the rest. Basically, it's a business and that is the reality. Technology may be more advanced and easily accessible to the masses than ever before, but the mastering the ART of photography will still take a fair dose of diligence and skill.

Don't feel threatened. Feel challenged!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Don't you agree??!!

Every1 thought owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer!! How true is that!!
    why you need a DSLR to make you an instant photographer!!

my parents bought me a Kodak Instamatic 66-X, I already became a photographer instantly.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Paiseh... what i meant is making $$ out of photography....another words being a PROFESSIONAL..
    I'm still wannabe "RICH", wannabe "FAMOUS", wannabe "THIS", wannabe "THAT", so is there anything wrong with to be a "wannabe"?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

first of all. maybe pple want to be photographer because TV and media falsified our identity so much so that people think that being a photographer is easy.

tv shows like "american next top model", the photographer makes it so easy like u can snap without looking into the viewfinder and pple will still say ur works are good.

i would say 90% of singaporeans do not appreciate arts.

and when this 90% of them do not appreciate art, they do not appreciate photography. and they like to undercut pple like us. not only that, newbies too like to undercut the industry. undercharge and more undercharging. (i saw an ad. $380 for AD wedding..) i was like fainting on the floor....

they feel that its a good, cheap and lucrative business.

ask any of the experienced pro photographers around. they will say that its not as easy as in the past.

DSLR over priced ? i think its a good thing. it keeps away wannabes and allow rich kids with rich daddies to buy them cameras.

like what i started a thread for previously. photographers are being taken advantage of when pple start asking for free services in exchange as portfolio.

brother catchlights, theres nothing wrong being a wanna-be. but if that wanna-be starts becoming over-confident and overly proud of himself.... den i really hope u get i mean here.... and when one gets over confident and etc... he tends to show off and do things that he think hes right and my hurt the industry indirectly. (especially those wedding photographers who suddenly dissappear after collecting the $ and not returning the agreed items to the couples or worse! they dissappear into thin air...)

I disagree that paid photographers are being termed as professional. I have seen many photos of these "professionals" and they sux. A hobbyist can also be a professional if the standard is there in my humble opinion.

Looks like Shooter is agrieved due to the following reasons:

(1) He's a 'professional' shooter whose income is slowly withered by newcomers. Hence his rants.

(2) He bought a multi-thousands worth of camera gears that he thought or the Salesman promised to him that the gears were exclusive to him only, only to discover that the streets are full of people like him. No more exclusivity. Hence bang his two jingle bells

These lead me to be curious about his occupation, if he's not a Pro photographer.

He better be the only one earning his dough in his speciality cos he will discover that there are other people doing his same kind of job and he will start off another similar thread

Now, are our DPMs, Ministers are PM wannabes?

God Bless them.

Shooter, do u have a dream or ever dream of what you want to be? If so, u are also a wannabe of that ideal/dream till u succeed or become good in it. Sorry folks, I wouldn't use fantasize cos the word makes me wetz....

Quote Originally Posted by merkava74
    ....So, as the saying goes, "let a thousand flowers bloom!"
    I think Shorty Teng also said,

"Let a thousand men own DSLRs and be what-they-wanna-be"."

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    Should say... got but today never ask my assistant to carry out my over $10K of equipment out.
    Very heavy one, cannot compare to yours, still can shoot video one.
    Dat's my cousin. I had done enuff damage tearing his stage down dat day. Din want to probe it in further after I had shut up him for good.

Pretty nasty and extremely uncalled for behaviour I know. But sometimes try as one might, facing situations like these where a wannabe has an ego to that the size of the DHL hot air balloon, u can't resist but prick the expanding balloon to see the result...

I still haven't have a chance to see his holiday videos taken with his 'very expensive DIGITAL video camera'. But frm my mum's mouth, she got a headache seeing jerky video with no storyline.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by william_wwong
    I think the thread starter dislikes those wannabes who are snobbish about their works and boost about how professional they are in appearance when they wield a dSLR.
    Those are egoists wannabes with egos the size of the Starhub Blimp or the DHL hot air balloon.

A wannabe can be a good thing. Afterall, a photographer-wannabe aspires to be professional in standard. He/she can choose to eat the humble pie during the education journey. Remember the definition of a wannabe is someone who aspires to be someone/something and acts like one. The process of "becoming" or being a wannabe is the questionable part.
    It depends on the line of thought which is reflected in one's actions.

Everyone yearns for the day where their standards reach 'World Class' (I'm no exception either). But have been thinking abit of late. Who actually 'defines' and to that even matter, who actually has the right & authority to determine what is considered 'Gold Class' standards in Photography? Photography contests? A panel of judges who may be bound by sponsorship to the companies that are handing out competitions? God Almighty himself? Or is it YOU who dictates it?

I'm sure threadstarter is referring to those egoists with a SLR system (digital or not) whose works are probably technically medicore at its very best (I'm referring to basic techniques like handheld, exposure, flash, etc) yet give downright dumb comments on the artistic value (ie, Composition) of a photo.

I still remember a world-class athlete who made a very inspiring statement on an interview on the Discovery Channel: "To be the best, you have to think and act like the best".
    "Be the best, think & act like the best." isn't absolutely wrong, but neither it is absolutely correct.

An athlete, artist whose standards had reached Gold-Class without a tinge of humility and modesty is no different from an egoist who will remain as such.... Gold/World-Class.

An athlete, artist whose standards had NOT reached Gold-Class but remembers the source when he drinks the water (literally in Chinese "饮水思源"), remains down-to-earth and humble has the potential to soar HIGHER THAN Gold-Class/World-Class standards.

So which one do one aspires to achieve?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

I think like that I can also start a thread called "too many designer wannabe out there" since anyone who owns a computer with the basic freehand, dreamweaver, photoshop and illustrator can also call themselves designers.

Threadstarter, deal with it lah. It's not what you call yourself but what you are capable of turning out that will determine your nett worth.
    Last edited by G-man; 30th August 2006 at 01:58 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast