View Poll Results: Are there too many photographer-wannabe out there?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! But only a handful can make it there!

144 52.94%
  • No!! It happens in every trade!

128 47.06%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast

Thread: Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

Default Re: Too many photographer-wannabe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Don't you agree??!!

Every1 thought owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer!! How true is that!!
    wow, it's an old thread.

I am bored and let me take a wack at TS's assertion.

Of course, owning a dslr, or for that matter, any camera, automatically makes you a photographer. A person who use a camera to take an image, the image is called a photograph and the person is called a photographer.

Now, what exactly did the TS mean "photographer-wannabe"? Why I am at it, why did many poster referring to this hypothetical "photographer-wannabe"?

Ah, the polls refer to "trade"? So, are we talking about professional photographers? If so, let's be a bit more precise, shall we?
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 11th July 2007 at 06:42 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    wow, it's an old thread.

I am bored and let me take a wack at TS's assertion.

Of course, owning a dslr, or for that matter, any camera, automatically makes you a photographer. A person who use a camera to take an image, the image is called a photograph and the person is called a photographer.

Now, what exactly did the TS mean "photographer-wannabe"? Why I am at it, why did many poster referring to this hypothetical "photographer-wannabe"?

Ah, the polls refer to "trade"? So, are we talking about professional photographers? If so, let's be a bit more precise, shall we?
    LOL... DP also buay tahan liao I think most people have made their opinions liao.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    LOL... DP also buay tahan liao I think most people have made their opinions liao.
    English please
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    English please
    LOL buay tahan = can't stand it any longer ^^ Heheh

Don't you agree??!!

Every1 thought owning a dslr can make u an instant photographer!! How true is that!!
    Why don't you quit your full-time job and give it a go?

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    LOL buay tahan = can't stand it any longer ^^ Heheh
    Cannot stand got blue pills what.

Don't you agree??!!

LOL! What a naive thinking! Then if one owns a car, does that makes him Micheal Schulmacher? On the flipside, literally by owning a DSLR makes you a photographer, but whether you can produce good photos or not is another thing.

I'm seeing a very liberal application of the term "newbie" onto photographers who are doing something they love.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

You don't have to own a DSLR to be a photographer.

Anyone who has any form of Imaging Capturing Device is a Photographer

"A photographer is a person who takes a photograph using a camera. This person is generally considered an artist, one responsible for constructing, through various means, the appearance of the product. One may be a professional photographer if s/he uses photography to make a living."

Extract from Wikipedia

It don't really matter what kinda camera you have, what matters is how well you can use it to make nice pictures..

So you might want to rephase it into Too Many Pro-Photographer Wannabe.

Photography is oso my hobby too....But do hope to improve and take good "for keeps" pictures..

That's cos you're in clubsnap!

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    Photography is oso my hobby too....But do hope to improve and take good "for keeps" pictures..
    Me too! Me too! Plus I hope one day some crazy gazillionaire fine art collector will see my work for what they are worth and pay me millions for them!

I am inspired by the world's most expensive photograph being that of the interior of an 'anything-for-99-cents' shop (Andreas Gursky, 99 Cent II Diptychon (2001)).

Every pro photographer started out as a "Photographer-Wannabe". This is true in every trade (painter wannabe, singer wannabe, musician wannabe).

With the barrier of entry as low as it is today, and not requiring profound skills to press that little shutter release button, there would be far more photographer-wannabes than say, guitarist-wannabes.

This increase has both good and not-so-good side effects, ranging from the increasingly affordable pro-grade equipment (thank the wannabes!!!), to the decreasingly palatable mass orgy $8-a-pop so-called model shoots.

To me it's a passion.
    Especially taking pictures of random people doing random acts,when u look at the picture,their expression on the picture is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Taking a picture, is simple, just press the biggest button at the top of the camera.

Photography is more than that.
    Ya,photopgrahy is being able to bring out nothingness from something in that picture..that's my thought.

all those who buy DSLRs.. and shoot jpeg and only in auto mode.. those are the wannabes..

I am a proud wannabe as long as I have recorded the moment and spent the time where I've wanted to spend the time. Am happy about the happy snappy clicks....although sometimes have to learn that one must stop running to take a shot otherwise photos come out blur

Deregistered

I'm a super wannabe who will lug my DSLR (in a bag) wherever i go.

Took me a few years before i decided to buy a DSLR. In fact, i'm still learning how to operate my D80 properly and right now i take better photos with my Coolpix 4500 than with my D80.

the wannabe are referring to those (An ambitious and aspiring young person) wanted to shoot $$, or to be somebody in photography community one day, if you are shooting for hobby or for leisure only, the term of wannabe are not applicable on you.

and in real life, many had tried, only few can make it, so every pros was a wannabe before.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

What irks me the most is that some of these 'part time' photographers take up jobs as an opportunity to test out their gear. Sigh...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast