Thread: How to run a photo contest?

Default How to run a photo contest?

The board that I reside on is trying to start a contest for digital photos. There is no prize, just brownie points or "respect".

The thing is, some people have thousand dollar cameras, while others have simple 3mp or even just camera phones.

How would you judge these photos without making too many categories?

Some people believe that post-processing is a must for them, but that gives them an unfair advantage over people who don't have the facilities to do so. I've seen some excellent photos taken from non-DSLR cameras because they were taken at the right time and place.

The contest is meant to be fun and good natured, but I have a feeling that it will be overrunned by the over-enthusiasts.

Default Re: How to run a photo contest?

Quote Originally Posted by informer
    The board that I reside on is trying to start a contest for digital photos. There is no prize, just brownie points or "respect".

The thing is, some people have thousand dollar cameras, while others have simple 3mp or even just camera phones.

How would you judge these photos without making too many categories?

Some people believe that post-processing is a must for them, but that gives them an unfair advantage over people who don't have the facilities to do so. I've seen some excellent photos taken from non-DSLR cameras because they were taken at the right time and place.

The contest is meant to be fun and good natured, but I have a feeling that it will be overrunned by the over-enthusiasts.
    set theme, set rules, and u have the game going...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

and read dilbert.
    sigh.

No prize ?? Not even a form of encouragement as in giving medals or token ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

i tink...u should arrange for meetups with people who have been doing these stuff all along..

check out The Photographic Society of Singapore, NUS Photographic Society, NTU Video-Photographic Society or SAFRA and really speak to someone who has done this before.

Cheers
    Gerald