Thread: Nicky

Default Nicky

A simple portrait of my friend. For critique or just viewing.

My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Default Re: Nicky

the drumset has almost the same colour as his T. distracting. and mind the guitar reflection on his left spec.

Quote Originally Posted by dingying
    the drumset has almost the same colour as his T. distracting. and mind the guitar reflection on his left spec.
    mm... will take note of it. thanks.

Hi Stoned,

The photo was well taken, exposure/DOF etc....

But

To me it is a pose type of photo.

By this I mean that your friends fingers could be anywhere on the fret board. He is looking at you !

I would prefer the same shot (fingers the same), but not looking directly at you/camera.. AND with a "pained" look on his face.

His look could be any direction except into the camera.

If you think of doing the pained look (like realy making the guitar talk/sing), the look could even be at your ear, just not at the camera.

Hope this comes across with some sense.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Hi Stoned,

The photo was well taken, exposure/DOF etc....

But

To me it is a pose type of photo.

By this I mean that your friends fingers could be anywhere on the fret board. He is looking at you !

I would prefer the same shot (fingers the same), but not looking directly at you/camera.. AND with a "pained" look on his face.

His look could be any direction except into the camera.

If you think of doing the pained look (like realy making the guitar talk/sing), the look could even be at your ear, just not at the camera.

Hope this comes across with some sense.

Cheers
    I get where you're coming from, but that wasn't the look I'm going for. I took 8 shots of him actually, as part of this personal project to collect portraits of everyone I know. I do have some of those more wild ones, because he was really playing. I wanted the eye contact though, so I picked this one. The rest won't fit into the final series.

I figured out what's wrong with this image already though, will "fix" it when I next see him again.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

too safe brother! something wilder!!

Quote Originally Posted by drumma
    too safe brother! something wilder!!
    That's a big part of the problem! I'll get it fixed dont worry.

Hi Stoned,

I'll comment on the subject itself as this is a topic I'm very familiar with.

I take it that your friend's a guitarist? Posing and all that is fine, but he's holding a guitar like he's holding someone elses axe just for the shot.

Guitarists are a proud bunch, and nothing brings them more joy than showboating their pride and joy, which in this case is his Fender Telecaster. Perhaps you could have taken a little more generous framing showing his Tele body, and how he's placing his other hand around the Tele's bridge area or control plate. That total package will show a portrait of a guitarist, not someone merely holding a guitar.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    GB

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker
    Hi Stoned,

I'll comment on the subject itself as this is a topic I'm very familiar with.

I take it that your friend's a guitarist? Posing and all that is fine, but he's holding a guitar like he's holding someone elses axe just for the shot.

Guitarists are a proud bunch, and nothing brings them more joy than showboating their pride and joy, which in this case is his Fender Telecaster. Perhaps you could have taken a little more generous framing showing his Tele body, and how he's placing his other hand around the Tele's bridge area or control plate. That total package will show a portrait of a guitarist, not someone merely holding a guitar.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    GB
    Mm. Thank you, that was very insightful! I'll certainly keep it in mind during the reshoot.