Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can compact digital be better (than DSLR) ?

Default Re: Can compact digital be better (than DSLR) ?

Can compact digital be better (than DSLR)

No
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Can compact digital be better (than DSLR)

No
    The question is refering to the POSSIBILITY of a compact being better than a dslr. The answer - yes.

I hear you ask why.
    I take a freakin good DSLR that most people's one month's pay cant buy and throw off the 10 storey and laugh at it cause its smashed and can't take any pictures while I whip out my compact and snap at the horrid and ghastly sight.

What good is a camera that cannot shoot?

Frankly, this sounds like a post to stroke the egos of those who just bought a prosumer.. but lets just humour them.

Assuming

1) Photographer skill level is the same with both cameras
    2) Same subject, perspective and lighting
    3) Same processing attribute (sharpness, contrast, hue, color space )
    4) Weight is not an issue
    5) Photographer's social skills are good enough to elicit same response from subject using either DSLR or digicam (for photos with living subjects)

Allowed differences
    1) Sensor
    2) Lens
    3) Hardware performance
    4) Shooting Speed (Shutter lag, continuous shooting, focus speed etc.)
    5) DOF control

Yes. Take away or equalize the human aspect, the Prosumer and P&S gets creamed by DSLR anytime any place. No sorry, your LUMIX DMC-FZ50 with its f/2.8 LEICA DC lens will never give you the same picture quality coming from a D50 with Nikkor 85mm F/1.4.

Sacarsm ahead: Nikkor being this Japanese lens maker, how to compare with the greatness of german engineering coming from Lecia? <== look its marketing just marketing.

As long as the human is involved... well.... hey want to see my really good pictures with my A95 and really crappy pictures with my D50? Really just go shoot ... doesn't matter P&S, Prosumer or DSLR. If you got a great photo with a 2mp ancient digicam, well great for you! And there is really no point trying to snub people with thousand dollar equipment just because you got that 1 great photo with a digicam.
    Last edited by Temujin; 3rd September 2006 at 08:13 PM.

An earlier suggestion of blind test is interesting. Just for some fun - some of us who use compact digital and DSLR might want to post their pictures here without giving clue. Both proposition and opposition can post their view. Hopefully, no hard feelings.

Perhaps, problem could be who are the credible and neutral moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiya_model
    The question is refering to the POSSIBILITY of a compact being better than a dslr. The answer - yes.

I hear you ask why.
    I take a freakin good DSLR that most people's one month's pay cant buy and throw off the 10 storey and laugh at it cause its smashed and can't take any pictures while I whip out my compact and snap at the horrid and ghastly sight.

What good is a camera that cannot shoot?
    Please explain your logic or lack of it.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Frankly, this sounds like a post to stroke the egos of those who just bought a prosumer.. but lets just humour them.
    Suddenly feeling insecure about yourself?
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

Just to add in.. A2 is a DSLR meh???
    Black Rabbit Photography

Dude Read this... sacarasm.. lol.. I find this topic almost pointless with all the digicam owners jumping in to subtlely imply that how they mega expensive prosumers will trash an SLR anyday because they got superb shooting skills.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    Suddenly feeling insecure about yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Dude Read this... sacarasm.. lol.. I find this topic almost pointless with all the digicam owners jumping in to subtlely imply that how they mega expensive prosumers will trash an SLR anyday because they got superb shooting skills.....
    I have not seen such implied thinking, at least here in ClubSnap.

I'll say, less technicality, and more of "let the photo do the talking"

PS. Maybe we should have a topic on "Can a DSLR be better (than a MF/LF)?"
    Black Rabbit Photography

veri agreed but there are still somethings, compact can not do although it is common is SLR, (exposure time)

assuming you have like for like... e.g. a 6mp prosumer v a 6mp dslr from the same manufacturer , the DSLR will beat the compact in image quality, noise performance and overabll functionality.

but that is not to say compacts cant come close... see comparison shootout on luminous landscape. and they are, compact, which in itself is their advantage.

i think it should be

gear vs gear

photo vs photo

photographer vs photographer

It's all subjective. Some of my favourite photos are taken with a compact. Take a peek at my flickr site and see if you can spot which was taken with what.

But I agree with other posters, if you cant tell the difference either you (as the photograher) are at fault or the audience isn't a purist.

Me, I'm just happy with taking piccies that make me smile (or grimace).

the recent SYF stomp photography entries had 2 PnS users coming in 1st and 2nd respectively. the only DSLR user in the competition got a third.

it depends on what kind of stuff you really shoot though
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Lets choose a subject and post our pics here (masked away exif) for all to guess. Keep the original image with exif intact for verification later if necessary (Metadata will prove camera model and settings)

Images posted here should aaim to be artistic as well as technically competent (no poor exposure or high noise etc)

Anyone?

Sounds fun! Let me start:

Which is which?

Have fun!

I have asked myself this question before buying a dslr.. i have 2 point n shoot before going dSLR. 1st camera it is really PnS because not much manual option to choose iso,av,tv and etc. 2nd cam, i have full control. Quality wise... yes it can come close to dSLR.

My 2nd cam is about 2 yrs old, 1st cam is about 3or4 yrs old. Those who are really interested in photography started off using pns/compact will soon be frustrated with the limitation.

Try shooting in concert, nature(birds),fashion or sports with a compact/pns , it is very difficult and frustrating and not to mention sometimes almost impossible.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by merkava74
    Sounds fun! Let me start:

Which is which?

Have fun!
    It is next to impossible to tell the diff between a DSLR and compact digicam just by images at that kind of size or in prints even up to 8R sometimes. A crude analogy: From far, sometimes u can't tell the diff betn a Volkwagon and a Porsche.

Maybe a better way is to post images taken with a DSLR at ISO400 compared to a digicam's ISO400. The diff is immediately obvious. Also, try to take pics with lots of details and crop one part. Dun have to be a tiny small part. Can zoom in just a few times and u will see which is the obvious winner.

Also, DSLR is more than just getting superb image quality. Its the functionality and expandability also that counts. Cmpacts dun give you ultra wide angles. Try using compacts to shoot sports or fast moving scenes. Very difficult or impossible. Try getting a nice blur in the background using a wide angle focal length on a digicam. It's not possible.

There's a lot more diff indeed! U get what u pay for. But compacts have a few big advantages over DSLR also. Convenience, ligthweight, portability, indiscreet. And of cos, so much cheaper.

[QUOTE=merkava74]

QUOTE]

A PnS from Fujifilm cameras?

[QUOTE=merkava74]

QUOTE]

Perhaps a dSLR. My guess would be from Canon. But if you are using Fujifilm, more likely would be using a Nikon dSLR?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Compact vs DSLR
    Actually it depends on what are you looking at and which camera are you comparing..
    1) What are you looking at?
    Compact
    Pros: Portability, Simple Operation, Nice looking, Live View, Video, many choices to choose from & cheap. Picture wise:- depends on the model and brand.
    Cons: Some only have manual control, Handling, maybe alittle too light.

DSLR:
    Pros: Lens is exchangable, lots of function, Size is comparable larger but easier to handle. Image wise:- Mostly will get better shots with DSLR.
    Cons: Expensive, Size is larger & heavier.

Ok, beside the Equipment, the another important factor: Is the photographer itself. (Skill)
    You can have the same camera with different photographer, you have different result.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast