Thread: Why people selling away Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC ??

Default Why people selling away Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC ??

Hi all,

Has a plan to get this lens due to the excellent review by some sites..
    But why people selling away Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC ??
    I can see it's getting more and more....

my 20mm f2.8 doesn't suit me anymore due to the prime restriction.Which i plan to sell it soon.

Can anyone give some advise?
    Last edited by modenaslim; 27th August 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Default Re: Why people selling away Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC ??

Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim
    Hi all,

Has a plan to get this lens due to the excellent review by some sites..
    But why people selling away Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC ??
    I can see it's getting more and more....

my 20mm f2.8 doesn't suit me anymore due to the prime restriction.Which i plan to sell it soon.

Can anyone give some advise?
    maybe they wish to go Fisheye or find it too wide and decided to go for 17-35 instead?
    anyway theres no reason for one to know every single reason why some1 is selling it.

It's strange that you mention this. A couple of weeks ago when I was actively hunting for this lens, I was hard-pressed to even find one seller of this lens. In the end I got fed up and sunk my money into another piece of glass.

Now that I've done that I see the Sigma springing up in the B&S, even within my budget. Call it Murphy's Law I guess. Canon users may be going full-frame and they will thus ditch any lens that's meant for an APS-C sized body. Alternatively as Explorer mentioned, it may be too wide for some users (I can hardly fathom that though, since I love shooting wide).

The Sigma is THE UWA zoom I would get if I wanted to go wide on a 350D. I read up about it, and it's been highly-rated by reviewers and users. If you're used to using 20mm on a film body, the Sigma would be an excellent lens for you. The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 is another very nice lens, but I prefer the distortion characteristics of the Sigma. It's resolution is also said to be better than the Tokina, although the difference is slight. Plus, getting FOV of a 16mm lens is priceless if you're really in a tight spot, or want to produce photos with a dramatic perspective.

Using the Sigma 10-20 on my D70, principally because I could not cough out the $ for the Nikkor, Minister for Home Affairs cum Finance Minister did not approve capex application. Besides, got other priority also, like want to dive more often.

Bought the Sigma after trying the Tokina 12-24 principally on colour characteristics - the Sigma was warmer to my eyes (same camera, same white balance, almost the same time - time taken to switch lens).

Downside was the size, and the max aperture.

No real regrets, but would still have gone for the Nikkor if there is dough. Nothing against Sigma and Tokina, just that I have been using Nikkors since '85. And I like Nikkor's colour characteristics.

That aside, if I were a Canon owner, and this is not meant to start a flame war, I would never go for a Canon UW zoom or even prime. Seen too many pictures taken by Canon UW zoom and prime, the light falloff was too much for me to bear. If you search out the digital photo review of D200 when they compared UW ligth fallout between Nikkor and Canon you would see what I mean. Just my opinion.

There is some light falloff with the Sigma 10-20, but bearable to my eyes.

Or put it another way, I see no reason why you should not buy the Sigma 10-20 or the Tokina 12-24, if UW is your stuff. It certainly is my stuff, got stuck since I bought the 20/3.5 AI Nikkor. Shooting UW in tight quarters in Tokyo was a real delight.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 27th August 2006 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    find it too wide and decided to go for 17-35 instead?
    Had personally tried 17-35 already, still prefer to go wider
    And after reading some opinion, and also my 10D can't fit EFS lens of 10-20mm...
    May be this lens is my only choice to go at reasonable and at affordable price!

Haha...
    Thanks for all the lao jiao's comments..

This was taken with the Sigma 10-20mm with a 350D.

fireframe: excellent shot, but subject will do little to tell anyone the quality of the lens, cause you can't tell distortion, light fallout, colour accuracy, and to some extent, sharpness, from this shot.

An excellent shot, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim
    Had personally tried 17-35 already, still prefer to go wider
    And after reading some opinion, and also my 10D can't fit EFS lens of 10-20mm...
    May be this lens is my only choice to go at reasonable and at affordable price!

Haha...
    Thanks for all the lao jiao's comments..
    i dono, im just stateing all the possible reason...
    im happy wif my tokina 12-24

Maybe Canon folks should look at their 10-22 lens ?
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...2mm-test.shtml

Faster and sharper, pity I can't use it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive
    fireframe: excellent shot, but subject will do little to tell anyone the quality of the lens, cause you can't tell distortion, light fallout, colour accuracy, and to some extent, sharpness, from this shot.
    Yeah, just tempting TS with how wide the lens can go. TS mentioned he has read the various reviews of this lens, so I think he's familiar with those characteristics already. What would be a good subject to 'show off' the above characteristics anyway?

firefly: a landscape with lots of details and some buildings. You can examine the edges for light fallout, the buildings for distortion characteristics, like whether the building turn out like a barrel (straight line across near the top of the edge tends to curve upwards, bottom downwards) or pinchcushion (top bend downwards, bottom upwards), the plants and flowers for sharpness, etc. One has to take into account that UW has that perspective issue that is not a distortion, just the physics of cramming so much into a shot.

Having said that, I don't have a good shot handy to show the above. More like talking c***, my apologies. Search out some web sites and see some photos and you'll see what I mean. Or easier still, take a pns and shot a door frame or a brick wall or hdb flat headon and see the distortion characteristics - all over.

He he....