Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The past isn't always perfect- Sunday Times today

Default Re: The past isn't always perfect- Sunday Times today

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Chinatown is culturally dead. The shophouses taken over by modern establishment. One would expect to see traditional trades in these areas, but sadly no.

Commercialization and redevelopment is a must but, not enough preservation is being done here. Both physically and culturally. I can't justify the preservation of Changi Prison and Cathay Building. Both are wall conservation. Changi Prison, such a great heritage site and govt isn't doing anything and state cost as a reason not to modernise the prison or demolish the newer Tanah Merah Prison (10+ years old). And for Cathay, nothing but a dead wall. The era of grand cinemas and film watching had gone with the closing of Capitol Theatre.

Saddening
    i think you over romanticised history.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    That's a good point, but it's quite singaporean a mentality in the way that sentimentality and emotional attachment is pointless, and if something is inefficient then create something new to replace it
    A sort of "if the grandmother is too much hassle to take care of let's put her in an old age home and let someone else take care of her" approach to issues
    Well, I guess there's a price to pay. Grandmother may know a few secrets around the house you may not know *chuckle*.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    for anyone interested, you can find out more about conservation guidelines on http://www.ura.gov.sg/

hey, no one has the article to send over?
    I threw away the scanner lah. Wait ah, i whip out my digicam.

send me!I'll post it up on my server so people can read it
    email jing at venacava.org

i think you over romanticised history.
    No comments

send me!I'll post it up on my server so people can read it
    email jing at venacava.org
    ok, just dun complain abt the photo quality. attaching the file now.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    No comments
    well, not trying to scold you, but you'll realise that sooner or later. conservation and preservation issues are never easy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    ok, just dun complain abt the photo quality. attaching the file now.
    hurry up! argh ... thanks

well, not trying to scold you, but you'll realise that sooner or later. conservation and preservation issues are never easy anyway.
    Agree... true, inevitable and sad.
    Losing not only built but cultural heritage as well.

PM me if it doesnt work

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    PM me if it doesnt work
    superb a million thanks!

Enjoy

FOR CRITICAL REVIEW PURPOSES ONLY

one of her usual mood swings imo ...

must give it to her, everytime she writes you see big conflict in her 'self'. it's a deep message put across with a shallow analysis.

one of her usual mood swings imo ...

must give it to her, everytime she writes you see big conflict in her 'self'. it's a deep message put across with a shallow analysis.
    You sound like you know Sumiko more than Sumiko knows about Sumiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    You sound like you know Sumiko more than Sumiko knows about Sumiko.
    seen enough of her articles ... after meals entertainment

since she mentioned Stamford Library in particular ...

Why the Stamford Library Building should not have gone

1. there're no statistical prove that the old building was unable to sustain the rate of patronage. at least from what i know.

2. there's no need for a new building with that kind of gigantic scale as the new building at bras basah

3. SMU buildings are badly planned 'city campus' in my opinion

Extensive studies have been made on foreign examples to shape the Singaporean version of a university campus in the city. It's meaningless as far as I see. A city campus grows overtime, acquiring and modifying city fabrics in a manner far more organic than that of SMU, which took an approach that's as grotesque as early modernistic 'tabula rasa' approach. If the inclusion of the campuses are going to cause additional stresses to the already stressed traffic condition within the town area, doesn't it sound like a real bad decision to put the campuses where they are now? And having to erase what was undeniably an important LANDMARK since the 60s ...

say, did anyone realised that the general section (most visited section) of National Library is located in the basement of this magnificent new building?

1. there're no statistical prove that the old building was unable to sustain the rate of patronage. at least from what i know.

2. there's no need for a new building with that kind of gigantic scale as the new building at bras basah

4. The Stamford Library underwent a substantive renovation works that spent a sizeable sum of money from taxpayers market. I cant recall any figures, but I'm sure many could remember the library being closed for some time for reno.

Demolishment of a historical relic spans a long time, so surely the planners would have considered whether the renovation was necessary if there had thoughts of demolishing that place.

Eikin. Can't agree with you more.

Extensive studies have been made on foreign examples to shape the Singaporean version of a university campus in the city. It's meaningless as far as I see. A city campus grows overtime, acquiring and modifying city fabrics in a manner far more organic than that of SMU, which took an approach that's as grotesque as early modernistic 'tabula rasa' approach. If the inclusion of the campuses are going to cause additional stresses to the already stressed traffic condition within the town area, doesn't it sound like a real bad decision to put the campuses where they are now? And having to erase what was undeniably an important LANDMARK since the 60s ...

say, did anyone realised that the general section (most visited section) of National Library is located in the basement of this magnificent new building?
    wasn't the tearing down of the old national library to make way for whatever tunnel they're building now.
    Anyway I am not a fan of the new library. The main reason the general public goes to a library is to borrow and read books but that section is in the BASEMENT.
    strange to know that a much-less-used drama centre and black box theater on the upper floors take up alot more space than the books-related section of the National Library.

wasn't the tearing down of the old national library to make way for whatever tunnel they're building now.
    Anyway I am not a fan of the new library. The main reason the general public goes to a library is to borrow and read books but that section is in the BASEMENT.
    strange to know that a much-less-used drama centre and black box theater on the upper floors take up alot more space than the books-related section of the National Library.
    the traffic tunnel is to ease mounting traffic stresses, which results from current conditions AND the introduction of SMU into the city...

talking of which, Singapore's road planning policy has remained an enigma for me
    Last edited by eikin; 27th August 2006 at 11:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast