Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography with external flash

Default Re: Photography with external flash

Quote Originally Posted by digit
    I know what you mean regarding CF#04 but this CF only defines how you want to map the shutter and * buttons. It doesn't seem to alllow both FEL and AEL functionality at the same time. You either have AEL or FEL, but not both. Sometimes I wish to have flexibility of controlling my background (AEL) as well as Flash (FEL) exposures, recompose and shoot.

What I do currently when I use flash is to use FEL for flash exposure lock and the normal AE compensation via rear dial for background exposure. However this method doesn't allow me the flexibility to lock background exposure, recompose, and shoot.

Only the 1-series has separate AEL and FEL buttons which is good. So can I confirm that other than the 1-series bodies, I cannot have both exposure lock functionality for both Flash and Background ? at the same time.

The following are CF#04 for 350D
    Custom Function # 4 determines selectable functions for the shutter and AE lock buttons. The four choices are:
    0, AF/AE lock
    1, AE lock/AF
    2, AF/AF lock, no AE lock
    3, AE/AF, no AE lock
    Er... have you ever thought to shoot manual? There's no need to limit yourself to auto mode right? You did but a dSLR.. else might as well stick with a PnS?

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Er... have you ever thought to shoot manual? There's no need to limit yourself to auto mode right? You did but a dSLR.. else might as well stick with a PnS?
    Shooting manual is fine. But since you have the _option_ to shoot Av or Tv (semi-auto btw) why limit yourself to just shoot manual ? There are times when manual mode or semi-auto mode is needed. For me I shoot manual in controlled environment, and semi-auto in changing scenes. The question is not about the merits of manual vs other modes. It's about the possibility of exposure lock with flash and ambient.

Bros, Sorry to interrupt but being a newbie I have a question to ask regarding external flash.

I am currently using my D50 without any external flash. I am looking at Nikon SB600 which alot of bros are using it for their D50.

My question is, when I fix the SB600 on my D50, does it mean that with the TTL, I will be able to start snapping pictures without making any adjustment to the flash even when I change the different modes on my camera (macro, night, scenery, A,P,M,S)?

Yr advise much appreciate as I am about to buy it over th weekend at one of the popular joints. Also, the best quote I got so far for SB600 is SGD330/before GST. Does the SB600 comes with any wirings?

Thanks again.

Wish to get some rule of thumb from those who have the experience on the following
    scenarios.

With a scenario of wedding dinner where usually have some dim light yet not bright enough.
    With the max-fstop f4 and <50 mm that you can goes.
    What iso and shutter speed and camera and 430EX flash set up, do you usually use to shoot individual or in group?

Default Re: photography with external flash

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Is it me, or is there something wrong here.. IF the background is underexposed, and you expose for it... that'll make your foreground overexposed wouldn't it? Flash wouldn't help in anyway..
    I will still use flash in the scenario u described. You have to compensate with all the four values, flash output, Aperture, Shutter and ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by tengcc
    Bros, Sorry to interrupt but being a newbie I have a question to ask regarding external flash.

I am currently using my D50 without any external flash. I am looking at Nikon SB600 which alot of bros are using it for their D50.

My question is, when I fix the SB600 on my D50, does it mean that with the TTL, I will be able to start snapping pictures without making any adjustment to the flash even when I change the different modes on my camera (macro, night, scenery, A,P,M,S)?

Yr advise much appreciate as I am about to buy it over th weekend at one of the popular joints. Also, the best quote I got so far for SB600 is SGD330/before GST. Does the SB600 comes with any wirings?

Thanks again.
    Not always true when u use TTL. Have to compensate here and there. For max control, set flash manually

Quote Originally Posted by tengcc

Thanks again.
    more of less yes, but sometimes the flash output might be too strong/weak and you might have to do ur own manual/ev or flash compensation to produce better looking shot. and do note that flash don work in real scenery since its toooooo far for the flash to reach...

sb600 doesn't comes with any wiring (if you mean remote cable)

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion
    I will still use flash in the scenario u described. You have to compensate with all the four values, flash output, Aperture, Shutter and ISO.

So what are the setting always in your mind? e.g 1/60, f5, iso200, flash bounce +2/3 etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Laopan
    So what are the setting always in your mind? e.g 1/60, f5, iso200, flash bounce +2/3 etc?
    Dunno how to tell u the settings. Got to be at location to see. You have to contra within the four settings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12