Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 128

Thread: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

  1. #81

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Ok this is for those that really want experience? Try go to Batam where the NGO will be at.

  2. #82

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)

    Stratix,

    The money as a side issue, are you 100%, very, no-question-about-it, sure about the ban?

    For example, could it be that the rule only applies to those who agree to be part of a photography team put together by NYAA with sponsorship from Fuji Xerox?

    I am sure there are other people who are photographing this event for/with other organizations, and if they are not subjected to such rules, then the hooha created here is a bit OT. Isn't it?

    Maybe you should check and clarify, for the sake of everyone?
    Last edited by kaychin; 27th August 2006 at 01:14 PM.

  3. #83

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    if the ban is true and applies to all, then it is stupid because it is impossible to implement. Most media photographers don't use the brand in question. No news organization is going to agree to such ruling.

    And because it is so stupid, I don't believe it is true to begin with.

  4. #84

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaychin
    if the ban is true and applies to all, then it is stupid because it is impossible to implement. Most media photographers don't use the brand in question. No news organization is going to agree to such ruling.

    And because it is so stupid, I don't believe it is true to begin with.
    Media one side...NYAA and Fuji Xerox one side. They are not meant to be mixed.

  5. #85

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by medallion
    Media one side...NYAA and Fuji Xerox one side. They are not meant to be mixed.
    read the original post by stratix. does it not imply EVERYONE is subjected?

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaychin
    read the original post by stratix. does it not imply EVERYONE is subjected?
    KC, from what I've read, the ban applies only to the cheap labour. It's going to be impossible to apply this draconic ban to media... the reporters will have a field day.

  7. #87

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    KC, from what I've read, the ban applies only to the cheap labour. It's going to be impossible to apply this draconic ban to media... the reporters will have a field day.
    precisely my point Terence. this can easily go haywire if people believe it is blanket ruling. many of the posts already assumed that.

    in most events, there will more than one photographer or photographic teams. If this only apply to the NYAA-Fuji Xerox team, then it is an internal affair to be resolved with them.

    in any case, one can always say no to a contract he deems unfair and try to find other opportunities. if not this time, then next.

    In aerospace show in 2004, Olympus was the official photo partner and a team was assembled. Only people who were in the Olympus team and on official duty had to use supplied Olympus cameras. Some guys came on their day-off with other cameras and we just can't be bothered.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.


  9. #89

    Smile Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaychin
    if the ban is true and applies to all, then it is stupid because it is impossible to implement. Most media photographers don't use the brand in question. No news organization is going to agree to such ruling.

    And because it is so stupid, I don't believe it is true to begin with.
    although i'm not one of the 'cheap labourers', the 'no other brand except the sponsored' rule applies to those who attended this briefing. i know coz both of my friends were there too. i too think it'd be absurd if they totally ban everyone from using other brands cos it'll be a major issue for all.

    there're probably other reasons besides the advertising campaign. technology wise, it'll be easier to manage. less problems as there's no conflict in equipment since everyone's (the student photographers) using the same model.

    just my 2 cents

  10. #90

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    on the issue of cheap labor, I would not be too eager to pass judgment, especially when I don't know the facts. but we all have choices so no one can really force us to do something we don't want.

    for eg, I know for a fact that many photographers are donating time and photographic talent to old schools, favorite charity ... should we be upset with them? are they spoiling market?

    I am doing a wedding gift for a very dear friend for close to peanuts, did i deprive someone of a job?

    Think about it, it is not always so clear cut. So lets not be so quick to judge others.

    btw, i am sitting totally out of this IMF circus because I don't believe in it. In fact, I just wish I can leave the country during this period because there will traffic jams all over.

  11. #91

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by irenet
    although i'm not one of the 'cheap labourers', the 'no other brand except the sponsored' rule applies to those who attended this briefing. i know coz both of my friends were there too. i too think it'd be absurd if they totally ban everyone from using other brands cos it'll be a major issue for all.

    there're probably other reasons besides the advertising campaign. technology wise, it'll be easier to manage. less problems as there's no conflict in equipment since everyone's (the student photographers) using the same model.

    just my 2 cents
    thanks. I thought so too.

  12. #92

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaychin
    on the issue of cheap labor, I would not be too eager to pass judgment, especially when I don't know the facts. but we all have choices so no one can really force us to do something we don't want.

    for eg, I know for a fact that many photographers are donating time and photographic talent to old schools, favorite charity ... should we be upset with them? are they spoiling market?

    I am doing a wedding gift for a very dear friend for close to peanuts, did i deprive someone of a job?

    Think about it, it is not always so clear cut. So lets not be so quick to judge others.

    btw, i am sitting totally out of this IMF circus because I don't believe in it. In fact, I just wish I can leave the country during this period because there will traffic jams all over.
    your wedding gift has a value to it
    the photographers donating time and skill are donating lah. you said it yourself, donation.
    I'm more irked with the companies that give the usual "EXPERIENCE AND EXPOSURE" bullcrap a way to get cheap/free photography.
    my friend did an album cover for her friend's CD, and the friend paid her US$10 000, which is pretty decent and market rate.
    strangely I always thought that if you were friends with someone you would try to support their passion by giving them either market rate or more, as a sign of your support, rather than try to get discounts

    but this is out of the topic and then again I live in a strange idealistic world in my mind.haha.

  13. #93

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    Ok this is for those that really want experience? Try go to Batam where the NGO will be at.
    hey that's a great idea
    I think that's better experience than the IMF itself
    at the imf you get a bunch of fat old businessmen in suits looking at keynote speakers
    in batam you get pictures of large groups of people making alotof noise and pulling off publicity stunts.
    plus you get to keep the photos!

  14. #94
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    i posted the exact same thing yesterday!

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showpost....&postcount=426
    eat. drink. shoot

  15. #95

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    your wedding gift has a value to it
    the photographers donating time and skill are donating lah. you said it yourself, donation.
    I'm more irked with the companies that give the usual "EXPERIENCE AND EXPOSURE" bullcrap a way to get cheap/free photography.
    my friend did an album cover for her friend's CD, and the friend paid her US$10 000, which is pretty decent and market rate.
    strangely I always thought that if you were friends with someone you would try to support their passion by giving them either market rate or more, as a sign of your support, rather than try to get discounts

    but this is out of the topic and then again I live in a strange idealistic world in my mind.haha.
    haha, if only life is so straightforward right.

    I am weary of such companies as well. unfortunately, there will always be people who can see a good deal out of a deal people think is bad. At the end of the day, the "you get what you pay" saying will always be true. Some companies would want to pay alot of money to say "see, we only use the best and pay them like kings"

    every deal is unique and it is up to us to negotiate. And this has nothing to do with age, pro or fulltime. And yes, it has nothing to good with how good is one's photography.

  16. #96

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    [QUOTE=Stratix]I'm a naive 19 year old speaking here. Although I know quite abit about the tech industry, i'm talking about arts over here.

    The objective of the invitation for photographers was to shoot good pictures, and potrait Singapore as a technology hub. Trust me, they've all prepared to put up a good show.

    But the point i've raised, isn't that just as contradictory as it is? =/[/QU

    Sponsor is just a more expensive name for advertisers, so learn to live with it. As a sponsor, I definitely do not want to pay and then having my comprtitor's brand appear and get a free ride? The objective is still to shoot good pictures, but the sponsors have to get some mileage out of their money. So just drop the Arts stuff, this is business......

  17. #97

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Many ministries are involved.

    NYAA is involved as well. NYAA would like to give young photographers a chance to shoot a 'big events'. The token I believe is $50 for the whole event, not on a per-day basis.

    I'm assuming there should have other full-time journalists/photographers from ST/CNA as well. This bunch of student volunteers will be given specific assignments on what to shoot for the 300+ events during the IMF.

    There're four award-winning photographers involved as well. I'm not sure if they're from CS.

  18. #98
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Are you sure FujiXerox ppl can stop all photojournalists using Canon white lenses from all over the world from bringing them inside the meeting?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  19. #99

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    Many ministries are involved.

    NYAA is involved as well. NYAA would like to give young photographers a chance to shoot a 'big events'. The token I believe is $50 for the whole event, not on a per-day basis.

    I'm assuming there should have other full-time journalists/photographers from ST/CNA as well. This bunch of student volunteers will be given specific assignments on what to shoot for the 300+ events during the IMF.

    There're four award-winning photographers involved as well. I'm not sure if they're from CS.
    I know Mr James Soh and a bit of what NYAA does. Although I have not spoken to him about this, I sincerely don't think that this stint is created to rip off young people. Neither is this team of photographers going to kill off opportunities for professionals.

    if proven otherwise, I will be happy to spearhead a Mattlock-styled petition and bring this to the attention of NYAA.

    Perhaps, some of the terms may not be the best practice. The right way to tackle it is to bring this up to the organizer nicely, in a constructive way. You stand a better chance of being heard.

    If you take it in the spirit of learning, I don't see why a chance like this is bad.

    you know what can be worse? When Mindef finds out that they can perhaps activiate a whole bunch of reservist professional photographers, issue them SAF 100 and ask them to report for reservist taking pictures.

    Even more worse, ask them to train NSFs - whole company of them, let them do it, at how much?

  20. #100

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaychin
    I know Mr James Soh and a bit of what NYAA does. Although I have not spoken to him about this, I sincerely don't think that this stint is created to rip off young people. Neither is this team of photographers going to kill off opportunities for professionals.

    if proven otherwise, I will be happy to spearhead a Mattlock-styled petition and bring this to the attention of NYAA.

    Perhaps, some of the terms may not be the best practice. The right way to tackle it is to bring this up to the organizer nicely, in a constructive way. You stand a better chance of being heard.

    If you take it in the spirit of learning, I don't see why a chance like this is bad.

    you know what can be worse? When Mindef finds out that they can perhaps activiate a whole bunch of reservist professional photographers, issue them SAF 100 and ask them to report for reservist taking pictures.

    Even more worse, ask them to train NSFs - whole company of them, let them do it, at how much?
    did you say that as a jibe at me?heheheheh.
    you know, with so many issues relating to the photography industry it sounds like we need some sort of union for photographers here
    the dog-eat-dog market is just really unhealthy

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •