Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 128

Thread: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    So gaffer up your Canon or the logos. Better yet, stick a Kwanon, a Fuji or Nikon sticker over every Canon logo.

    You'll be shooting with a Fuji 20D or 350D then.

    This is a laughable move by the sponsors, but it is perfectly within their rights, as it is their event. Don't go if you don't agree to their terms.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    So gaffer up your Canon or the logos. Better yet, stick a Kwanon, a Fuji or Nikon sticker over every Canon logo.

    You'll be shooting with a Fuji 20D or 350D then.

    This is a laughable move by the sponsors, but it is perfectly within their rights, as it is their event. Don't go if you don't agree to their terms.
    U should see my camera... its a DELL now
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Happens alot of time. Other brands (not just camera) when sponsoring also will like to have monopoly in the events they sponsor.

    wonder if a major sporting event and this happens. If no Canon cameras and how many sports photographer will turn up

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix
    As a photographer whom just attended a briefing session held by MAS / MFA / MICA / Fuji Xerox, for the World Bank / IMF Meetings next month. I can’t help but to wonder, what and where photography has headed towards when it comes to our small red dot – a place we call home, Singapore.

    Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)

    Call me sore loser, but as a Canon user, a photographer (not a good one thou), and more importantly – a technology observer, I find this rather amusing.

    Not trying to boast about the superiority of Canon technology, but in which way are Canon less superior to the “allowed” brands?

    While there’re so much talk about anti-trusts in the States and Europe, we Singapore had also signed a FTA with them. As a result, we’ve seen more and more observations followed by the Singaporean Government – so isn’t this a blatant offense?

    Sad to say, photography had ended up into a state where brands are an issue – no longer a form of visual arts like I’ve perceived it to be.

    I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone here, but really, I can’t help but to find even the mentioning of the “no Canon” rule amusing – especially when it holds one of the biggest communities when it comes to photography.

    End of rant. Thanks for reading. =)
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  4. #24

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    // Rant on

    I thought this thread would be complaining about how they are exploiting "student photographers" and paying them a measly $50 PER ASSIGNMENT instead of giving jobs to the poor working pros. Oh, but of course it's justified since they are giving them valuable experience and a chance to showcase their skills. And "MAS will match the amount by donating $50.00 to the NYAA Young Photographers' Network (YPN) The donations will be used to fund projects spearheaded by the young photographers who are involved in the event at a later stage."

    ......

    Btw, I'm also a "student photographer" that got offered this "once in a lifetime opportunity". However, I think I'm worth more than $50 PER ASSIGNMENT, especially when you look at who is behind the funding...

    // Rant off
    Hmm, from what I reckon from your info, it seems that this 'session' is jointly organized by Fuji Xerox and MAS/MITA, largely for students?

    If that's the case, then I think their "Canon" banning, although unwelcome, is understandable , since it is an private event, and that they would want exclusive branding coverage in the IMF meetings (heck, maybe the delegates would think that Fuji/Nikons are 'pro').

    If they do ban the official media (ie, ST, international papers) from Canon, then that's another issue. You'll probably see the Canon reporters holding demostrations instead of shooting photos.

  5. #25

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Hmm, from what I reckon from your info, it seems that this 'session' is jointly organized by Fuji Xerox and MAS/MITA, largely for students?

    If that's the case, then I think their "Canon" banning, although unwelcome, is understandable , since it is an private event, and that they would want exclusive branding coverage in the IMF meetings (heck, maybe the delegates would think that Fuji/Nikons are 'pro').

    If they do ban the official media (ie, ST, international papers) from Canon, then that's another issue. You'll probably see the Canon reporters holding demostrations instead of shooting photos.
    Abit OT but need to mention something about the money issue since some people have brought it up.

    Yes you are right, NYAA Young Photographers' Network (YPN) allows people only within the education system on this one, students. We are student volunteers. And the money they give us is called allowance. Much like SAF pays NSF, which isn't called salary.

    SNAG, I do agree that the 'banning' of Canon is understandable. I believe they paid good money to be the sponsors, but that's their politics, none of my concern. They have not confirmed the ban btw. But if they do, they'll loan out Fuji/Nikon cameras.

    My guess is D2Xs to every photographer?

    We'll all be using wireless transmitting technology for the transferring of photos. The representatives of Fuji Xerox have made it quite clear during the briefing that they want to promote Fuji/Nikon. Surely they want to promote, they'll offer us the best unit they have.

    They can't do anything about the official media though. I'm pretty certain of that.

  6. #26

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    Btw, I'm also a "student photographer" that got offered this "once in a lifetime opportunity". However, I think I'm worth more than $50 PER ASSIGNMENT, especially when you look at who is behind the funding...
    I can understand how unhappy you are but please be reminded $50 is only an allowance. We are volunteers. They don't even have to give us a single cent. Money does motivate people in some way. I do abit of freelance work too and $50 doesn't justify a full day's work under a big organization.

    However, don't let $$$ rule over your hobby (unless you've already called it a profession). Appreciate the fact that being part of this is a real privilege. I'm not sure if you've joined or turned it down, if it's the latter, I personally feel that you've missed a good photographic exposure/experience.

    No offence. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by melvinmah; 26th August 2006 at 10:56 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    lucky they never say anything about minolta/pentax/sony dslr users
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

  8. #28

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r
    lucky they never say anything about minolta/pentax/sony dslr users
    yes they did. Non-Fuji/Nikon cameras not allowed Stratix was just speaking on the behalf of Canon users.

  9. #29

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Wee no Pany/Samsung/Ricoh either.. XD
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

  10. #30

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Sighz...money over hobby...

  11. #31

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix
    As a photographer whom just attended a briefing session held by MAS / MFA / MICA / Fuji Xerox, for the World Bank / IMF Meetings next month. I can’t help but to wonder, what and where photography has headed towards when it comes to our small red dot – a place we call home, Singapore.

    Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)

    Call me sore loser, but as a Canon user, a photographer (not a good one thou), and more importantly – a technology observer, I find this rather amusing.

    Not trying to boast about the superiority of Canon technology, but in which way are Canon less superior to the “allowed” brands?

    While there’re so much talk about anti-trusts in the States and Europe, we Singapore had also signed a FTA with them. As a result, we’ve seen more and more observations followed by the Singaporean Government – so isn’t this a blatant offense?

    Sad to say, photography had ended up into a state where brands are an issue – no longer a form of visual arts like I’ve perceived it to be.

    I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone here, but really, I can’t help but to find even the mentioning of the “no Canon” rule amusing – especially when it holds one of the biggest communities when it comes to photography.

    End of rant. Thanks for reading. =)

    Dude, C'mom. Cool down.! I believe they will make some arrangement/changes for the canongrapher or they could just lend out Nikon/Fuji camera. IMF is one of the biggest ever conduct in Singapore. I'm sure Singapore or some whatever so organisation is able to load out suitable camera.

    Last but not least, didn't you say you wish to change to Nikon system? Maybe now you can?

  12. #32
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    U should see my camera... its a DELL now
    Mine is ANO. I simply gaffer up C and N and turn up in all events organized by Fuji.

    To make it more convincing I use a Fujifilm camera strap on the DSLR.

    I have no problem with Fuji people so far.

  13. #33
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    On a similar note:
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=21503

    Hey, then again, I didn't know Fuji Xerox and Fujifilm to be the same company... but IF it's true, no guesses why the EF-mounts won't be too welcomed. Would there be a press pool of F-mount lenses available? Will NPS or an equivalent of it for Fujifilm be set up?

    We have very creative professionals in the comedy sector working on this project, that's what I know...

    Just imagine the 4 million smiles being overpowered by maybe 2000 frowns (or more) from the attendees themselves as they find out that they can't use their own Canon P&S for their keepsakes. "SIR! You CANNOT use Canon! You must use XYZ brand only! I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to keep it, or I'll have to confiscate it! Don't be angry!" *points to 4 million smiles poster*
    Last edited by sehsuan; 26th August 2006 at 01:50 PM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix
    As a photographer whom just attended a briefing session held by MAS / MFA / MICA / Fuji Xerox, for the World Bank / IMF Meetings next month. I can’t help but to wonder, what and where photography has headed towards when it comes to our small red dot – a place we call home, Singapore.

    Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)

    Call me sore loser, but as a Canon user, a photographer (not a good one thou), and more importantly – a technology observer, I find this rather amusing.

    Not trying to boast about the superiority of Canon technology, but in which way are Canon less superior to the “allowed” brands?

    While there’re so much talk about anti-trusts in the States and Europe, we Singapore had also signed a FTA with them. As a result, we’ve seen more and more observations followed by the Singaporean Government – so isn’t this a blatant offense?

    Sad to say, photography had ended up into a state where brands are an issue – no longer a form of visual arts like I’ve perceived it to be.

    I’m sorry if I’ve offended anyone here, but really, I can’t help but to find even the mentioning of the “no Canon” rule amusing – especially when it holds one of the biggest communities when it comes to photography.

    End of rant. Thanks for reading. =)
    Art what art? that is just a lousy excuse to have the media PR their brand to the public. Since when do companies do charities and not mention their name? Anti trust does not apply here. this is a specific event and not a market.

  15. #35

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r
    lucky they never say anything about minolta/pentax/sony dslr users
    i'm pretty sure KM users won't be allowed as well. KM is an even bigger rival to Fuji Xerox in terms of high end imaging business.

    oh well. to all who've thinking i'm naive because in this world, $$$ talks - i'm here to express my discern about this precise fact. I'm feeling sore over the fact that money had ruled more then the appreciation of art.

  16. #36
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    sounds like the world cup saga in which some supporters had to watch the match naked..
    eat. drink. shoot

  17. #37

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Just to name another event similar to this (where equipment can make or break the user).

    The World Cyber Games Grand Finals 2005 was held here in Singapore - with Razer as the gaming peripheral premium sponsor. But you dont see them banning Logitech / Microsoft mouse users right?

    Razer too paid a good deal of money - they've even booked Club Momo for press reception to break the news of their sponsorship, flew in medias all over the world to attend it.

    oh well. if other big scale international event sponsors can be open minded, i cant see why our good friends over here cant. =)

  18. #38

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix
    Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)
    What nonsense is this? Have not heard anything on what camera etc cannot be used from the IMF itself?

  19. #39

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    What nonsense is this? Have not heard anything on what camera etc cannot be used from the IMF itself?
    mabbe it's only applicapable for students volunteers.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  20. #40

    Default Re: IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

    sian. if not comfortable with their policy on acceptable cameras, then i suggest dun go.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •