Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Travel Insurance for Cameras

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Good day all!

    Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but I'm in a fix and need an answer fast.

    I am due to leave for an overseas trip with the army on Sunday night, and have to decide whether I should take my camera along with me or leave it at home and take a small cheapie instead.

    I am unsure of the environment and am worried about the pontential of losing my camera to theft or damage and hence am wondering if there is any form of travel insurance I can take up to protect my belongings, especially my camera. I'll need the insurance policy to cover up to about $3000 worth of camera stuff.

    So far I have seen a few policies that will pay up to $5000 for lost or stolen belongings but there is no mention if it covers camera equipment. Plus, the TOS states that the company will only pay up to $1000 per item lost, which will only be enough to cover my lens but not the camera body.

    Can anyone give me quick help and point me in the correct direction? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    iirc .. my friend ever claims insurance from lost of equipment but those pns type lar ... even handphone also ...

    probably it will come under belonging and not many will insurance your cam stuff ,,,,

    I have brought over 10k cam stuff to oversea before .. DSLR + SLR + 4 lenses ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    iirc .. my friend ever claims insurance from lost of equipment but those pns type lar ... even handphone also ...

    probably it will come under belonging and not many will insurance your cam stuff ,,,,

    I have brought over 10k cam stuff to oversea before .. DSLR + SLR + 4 lenses ..
    Heheh...I would like very much to take the camera along too, but I will be staying with people I don't know very well. And we might be in the countryside a lot. I don't know what the security is like over there. Anyway, I've ditched the idea of taking the DSLR there and might just bring along an Olympus XA2 instead. It'll be a pain if I want to do night shots though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    where would you be going?
    a PnS like the Fuji F30 will do the trick for night shots

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk
    where would you be going?
    a PnS like the Fuji F30 will do the trick for night shots
    To Holland. But it'll be in the countryside, not in Amsterdam...

    If I had the money I'd definitely get at least an F11. For now I'd probably load up some ISO 800 film on the XA2 and see what it can do. Come to think of it, there may be fewer opportunities for night shots in the country anyway. Star trails would be nice, but I'd need a more complicated device for that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    holland huh? a rather complicated place over there. been to amsterdam previously and the level of security there is sort of tense at night, i wouldnt suggest bringing anything too expensive out at night

    as for the countryside, its considered relatively sparsely populated, i dont feel that its as safe as Singapore at night but it doesnt feel like you will get robbed/mobbed anytime. should be fine if you bring your dslr. on the hindsight that you are going with the army, i would suggest that you travel light

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk
    holland huh? a rather complicated place over there. been to amsterdam previously and the level of security there is sort of tense at night, i wouldnt suggest bringing anything too expensive out at night

    as for the countryside, its considered relatively sparsely populated, i dont feel that its as safe as Singapore at night but it doesnt feel like you will get robbed/mobbed anytime. should be fine if you bring your dslr. on the hindsight that you are going with the army, i would suggest that you travel light
    Yes...some of my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be in Amsterdam very much, but would just land at the airport there and proceed straight to Eindhoven. If I take a small film P&S, maybe I'll be less conspicuous and should be able to fire away a few shots without people knowing.

    The only worry is the X-ray machine fogging my film, especially since it's a high sensitivity film. I remember reading somewhere that films rated ISO 200 and below are hardly affected by the rays, but anything faster than ISO 400 is probably going to be fogged.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    i am not really sure about the film part, not really well versed in high ISO film. hence unable to help.

    do post up some of the photos when you are back! it would be nice to see how holland had changed since i last visited.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk
    i am not really sure about the film part, not really well versed in high ISO film. hence unable to help.

    do post up some of the photos when you are back! it would be nice to see how holland had changed since i last visited.
    Oh sure...if I get any passable photos that is. I don't really know what they have over there in the countryside, though I heard Amsterdam itself is a beautiful place...a photographer's paradise.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    i having the same prob with TS as i will b traveling to china soon.
    my gear would worth about 3k.any1 would advise on insurance for my gear?
    thanks.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by syc77
    i having the same prob with TS as i will b traveling to china soon.
    my gear would worth about 3k.any1 would advise on insurance for my gear?
    thanks.
    I managed to locate a number to reach the NTUC Travel Insurance helpline, though I didn't try it myself. No point for me to apply now anyway since I've decided not to bring my camera along.

    Try this: 1800 438 3883

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Thanks. Yes, I saw something like that on the NTUC website. In the end I didn't even call them though, because I just decided to bring a cheap camera instead of taking my SLR system there. Maybe this is a good time to challenge myself to do more with less...put the skills (or lack thereof) into practice and attempt to produce the best possible pictures with the simplest of equipment.

    But if I come back with crap pictures, then it'll be a pity, though I only have myself to blame.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    1. always read the general provisions to see WHAT and WHEN a claim is allowable!
    2. usually travel insurance lets you claim up to the cost of equipment less depreciation (by age) up to a cap.
    3. and also usually for equipment that costs more than $10k, u have to insure separately.

    hope this helps.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon
    1. always read the general provisions to see WHAT and WHEN a claim is allowable!
    2. usually travel insurance lets you claim up to the cost of equipment less depreciation (by age) up to a cap.
    3. and also usually for equipment that costs more than $10k, u have to insure separately.

    hope this helps.
    Thanks. So far I've found one that will allow claims up to a cap of $1000 per item. Unfortunately that will only cover a lens, but not the camera body entirely.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    HI,

    If your equipment is less than 6 months old, you may want to consider this.

    http://www.income.coop/insurance/mobilequip/index.asp

    If you need help or clarification can PM or email me (casongoh@yahoo.com.sg). I am an financial advisor from an independent firm. Cheers!
    Last edited by CasonLyn; 27th August 2006 at 12:45 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Travel Insurance for Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CasonLyn
    HI,

    If your equipment is less than 6 months old, you may want to consider this.

    http://www.income.coop/insurance/mobilequip/index.asp

    If you need help or clarification can PM or email me (casongoh@yahoo.com.sg). I am an financial advisor from an independent firm. Cheers!
    Thanks. That's almost a perfect fit, only that my camera body is more than a year old already at this time. The lens is only 4 months old however. I'll bear this insurance in mind if I can use it in the future for newer equipment. Is there any other insurance that will cover older equipment?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •