Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Labrador Sunset, please comment

  1. #21

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    this is my edited version. sorry for some noise as it is edited off the picture which is small and after correction of the horizon, i chop off too much on the left leading to an imbalanced edge. i dun go for too strong a saturation, and dun always push the contrast as it takes away details. i prefer the softer approach which i think is quite reverse of what most of yours prefer, so dun me too much, ok?


    Now can see already. Nice looking, especially after adding some words on it.

    Although the colour tone doesn't give a strong sunset feel, it does give a scene of serenity, peace and quiet, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    upp east coast road
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by dcubes
    Hi,

    Looking at this picture, it reminds me of the cover of this book..
    "Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography" by Brenda Tharp.

    Anyway, that got me intrigued and I was playing with the image
    and did some post processing.. hope you dun mind

    Of course i dont mind. However, i find that the sky is much overexposed for your edited version. Too much contrast applied?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    upp east coast road
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    this is my edited version. sorry for some noise as it is edited off the picture which is small and after correction of the horizon, i chop off too much on the left leading to an imbalanced edge. i dun go for too strong a saturation, and dun always push the contrast as it takes away details. i prefer the softer approach which i think is quite reverse of what most of yours prefer, so dun me too much, ok?

    The pic looks better with the wordings but still too plain for my taste. Been trying to comprehend what Eikin and Clockunder mentioned.

    I find that taking sunset/sunrise is no easy task cos the light is changing so rapidly and you have to take into account composition, exposure etc etc.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by philip827
    Personally, i find that the colors in this image lack that 'punch', when compared to many great photos posted here. I am not sure whether it is because of my photoshop skills, or the lack of filters or the photo just cannot make it to begin with. Pic 1 is the edited version. Feel free to edit my original photo. I hope i can learn from your comments. Thank you.
    Hi, since you said that feel free to edit your pic. I really very free now. Haha.

    Does this add the "punch" that you wanted to your pic?

    Last edited by sugary88; 25th August 2006 at 05:29 AM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Maybe it's the scene that's not good enough? The chinese saying goes, even the cleverest wife cannot make congee without rice.

    In the old days, on film, people did not have PS to increase saturation or boost contrast, the best they could do was use a film like Velvia and/or use a grad tobacco filter, but there is nothing else you could do after a slide was processed. Either the slide was good, or the photographer had to try again another day.

    PS is not a substitute for a photogenic scene to begin with.

    The other part of it is you need to have patience. People whose pictures get published in National Geographic have spent years and years in photography and they understand light and film extremely well. No amateur can hope to produce a picture like theirs immediately upon buying a DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by philip827
    Dear fellow photographers,

    I have a photo here that i hope can be commented on.

    Personally, i find that the colors in this image lack that 'punch', when compared to many great photos posted here. I am not sure whether it is because of my photoshop skills, or the lack of filters or the photo just cannot make it to begin with. Pic 1 is the edited version. Feel free to edit my original photo. I hope i can learn from your comments. Thank you.

    In photoshop, i increased contrast and saturation. Sharpened.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    this is my edited version. sorry for some noise as it is edited off the picture which is small and after correction of the horizon, i chop off too much on the left leading to an imbalanced edge. i dun go for too strong a saturation, and dun always push the contrast as it takes away details. i prefer the softer approach which i think is quite reverse of what most of yours prefer, so dun me too much, ok?

    This is beautiful, very romantic.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Nice landscape Wonder how you get the water to look like clouds ? Didi you use a low shutter speed?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Eastcoast
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    just bored at work ... hehe. hope you like it. =)




  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by philip827
    The pic looks better with the wordings but still too plain for my taste. Been trying to comprehend what Eikin and Clockunder mentioned.

    I find that taking sunset/sunrise is no easy task cos the light is changing so rapidly and you have to take into account composition, exposure etc etc.
    go back to the fundamental question, what do you want to show? define that 'punch' you're looking for, if you can't put it down in words, you won't be able to produce it.

    what's about the colour that you want to emphasize? the light in the environment?


    or is it instead the forms that take importance?
    Last edited by eikin; 25th August 2006 at 05:28 PM.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    upp east coast road
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    go back to the fundamental question, what do you want to show? define that 'punch' you're looking for, if you can't put it down in words, you won't be able to produce it.
    Hi,

    i hope to produce photos of similiar texture to these, the colors are smooth and doesn't look forced out from photoshop.
    http://photo.net/photodb/member-phot...user_id=264657

    Another example is photo #4 taken by Knoxknocks, i feel this is the best labrador photo.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...light=labrador

    The colors in these photos look so much better, are there filters involved?

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by philip827
    Hi,

    i hope to produce photos of similiar texture to these, the colors are smooth and doesn't look forced out from photoshop.
    http://photo.net/photodb/member-phot...user_id=264657

    Another example is photo #4 taken by Knoxknocks, i feel this is the best labrador photo.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...light=labrador

    The colors in these photos look so much better, are there filters involved?
    your picture lacks the details

    what's attractive about the pictures are the details, complemented by the colours. not the other way round.
    Last edited by eikin; 25th August 2006 at 07:26 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment



    did a little psing myself...i prefer it to be dramatic..hhaa

  13. #33

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by renewification


    did a little psing myself...i prefer it to be dramatic..hhaa
    Good job on the snow lake

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    quite like the version by panzer..
    below is my attempt..
    Last edited by betazone; 26th August 2006 at 12:34 AM.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment


  16. #36
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp
    too little space around the rocks would exaggerate the flaw when only the rocks are shown. and i think when the rocks are isolated, it became quite abstract - it can be rocks in snow, or a mountain amidst the clouds.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    too little space around the rocks would exaggerate the flaw when only the rocks are shown. and i think when the rocks are isolated, it became quite abstract - it can be rocks in snow, or a mountain amidst the clouds.
    Let's get not too profound..I'm not exactly the brightest.

    Could you simplify it?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    imagine mountains...the top part are cover by clouds and this is the tip of it..

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    upp east coast road
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp
    Let's get not too profound..I'm not exactly the brightest.

    Could you simplify it?

  20. #40
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Labrador Sunset, please comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp
    Let's get not too profound..I'm not exactly the brightest.

    Could you simplify it?
    i think the picture could be shot with a framing more to the left and bottom of the rocks so that we can show more of the sea water around that piece of rock. pictures tend to look better with items within the main area rather than sticking too near the edges. when there are both the sea and the sky, the shipyard in the distance, that flaw may not be so prominent, and also the shipyard leaning to the right side balanced off the rocks leaning to the left side. however, when we just cropped to the rocks, it becomes more prominent.

    also when we have the sea and sky crossed by the horizon with the shipyard, we know what we are looking at, and also with a sense of scale and perspective, we thus know that is the sea, and what is in front are rocks in the sea nearer to you. but when we isolate the rocks, we lost the sense of scale, and it can look like what is taken from the aeroplane down on the mountains that is surrounded by the clouds. and even at the same scale, becos the color of the sea is quite white, without the shipyard in the background, it can also resemble snow instead of water.
    Last edited by zoossh; 26th August 2006 at 05:33 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •