Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: This processing... how is it done.

Default Re: This processing... how is it done.

has anyone tried selectively sharpening also? I have a feeling that the sharpening on the face is slightly different from the sharpening being applied to the background.
    I haven't tried the draganizing effect but to get a more punchy texturized look on faces I usually create a duplicate layer and sharpen it to my taste, and then erase the background on the duplicate.

I find that utilizing the same kind of sharpening on the full image tends to flatten it out abit and create strange looks on objects when the sharpening is optimized for the skin.

btw you might want to avoid the burn/dodge tool
    You can get better control using curve layer masks. the burn dodge tool tends to create a neutral grey cast.
    from talking to retouchers in new york they always recommend the curve layer mask and avoid the burn/dodge tool
    Last edited by mattlock; 25th August 2006 at 03:17 AM.

+ 1

sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry
    Wow, looks like everyone is having fun... thanks Stoned for posting the original question and link to that picture, got me interested and I must say I had fun reading up about this and trying out to see if I could get the technique.

After searching the net for this, I found there's actually a number of different techniques that people have tried to get similar results (draganizing, painting with digital light), some quite complicated (for me anyway), and as silver.wolf mentioned there was a method that was similar to what I posted earlier.

I'll outline the steps I used for that german actor's photo - can't remember the exact numbers used (except for the sharpening), as I just adjusted them to what I thought looked ok
    - sharpen the image (I think this is important to get textures in the face/skin - I used smart shapening 100, 0.4; but you probably can use your favourite sharpening technique)

- next, create a hue/saturation adjustment layer and reduce the master saturation down to desaturate the image (this is to reduce the redness in the face and other blemishes)

- next, create a selective colour adjustment layer to bring back the tones and detail in the face after the desaturation above (again this step is quite important, as you want to bring back the detail and texture in the image) when the selective colour options dialogue box appears, you want to modify the whites and the neutrals to bring up the yellow, black, cyan and magenta (I think this step is the key to the technique, and the exact values you use are dependant on the image/skin tones of the person ie. it'll be different for a caucasian as compared to an asian)

- this is where they say you do some burning to get more detail into the face etc (but I didn't do this as I'm crap at using the brush tool - too much hard work, easier just playing with sliders )

- I then lightened the eyes a bit via a new overlay layer and painting the eyes with a white brush (think this also is important to create impact in a portrait with bright eyes)

- next I coloured the eyes a nice green colour via a colour layer and toned the rest of the image (except for the face) the same green colour

That was pretty much it. If you search the net, there's a few quite sophisticated techniques which give really good results, but I couldn't be bothered trying them out just yet - my ps kung fu isn't good enough.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks Gooseberry, that helps a lot I suspect that the small pixel size applied to the sharpening might be the reason the sharpening works, though I can't say for sure. I find though, that when translated to a larger image(say a regular full-sized camera image), you'd need to use larger values on the USM tool.

Have just one last question to ask, does anyone know how the different values (Pixel size, threshhold) affect the final output of the USM tool? I can't seem to get a full-sized image sharpened the same way as I can get the small web sized image that we've all been playing around with.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Thanks Gooseberry, that helps a lot I suspect that the small pixel size applied to the sharpening might be the reason the sharpening works, though I can't say for sure. I find though, that when translated to a larger image(say a regular full-sized camera image), you'd need to use larger values on the USM tool.

Have just one last question to ask, does anyone know how the different values (Pixel size, threshhold) affect the final output of the USM tool? I can't seem to get a full-sized image sharpened the same way as I can get the small web sized image that we've all been playing around with.
    You may like to look at this:
    http://www.pbase.com/manny_librodo/ilo06

Wonderful collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    You may like to look at this:
    http://www.pbase.com/manny_librodo/ilo06

Wonderful collection...
    it's a wonderful collection but i can't see any relation of the pics there and in PN. :P

The technique works very only on portraits that have natural or diffused lighting, and have alot of detail on them. I've been trying with lots of other portraits, and it seems you need to have a certain criteria for results to actually be good... So other than good PS skills, you need to be a good photographer first, heh.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf
    your output is very close to gooseberry
    From Stoned's previous post feedback and he said gooseberry's was the closest to what he
    like. Therefore I followed gooseberry's 2 & 3 steps on the colors process for the skin as
    stoned prefer that kind of skin toned colors.

Reading from the links that are mentioned, I think the key is dark background and lots of dodge
    and burns. As for the skin tone, it's vary from what I saw from the different websites. They
    said the correct term is called 'painting with lights' and it's Mr Dragan that popularised it.
    (I maybe wrong as I'm learning to do this PP)

Cheers
    Last edited by tim; 25th August 2006 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk
    The technique works very only on portraits that have natural or diffused lighting, and have alot of detail on them. I've been trying with lots of other portraits, and it seems you need to have a certain criteria for results to actually be good... So other than good PS skills, you need to be a good photographer first, heh.
    Yes, that's right. It doesn't work very well for flat lighting, you need some good lighting to provide highlights and shadows on the facial features for it to work really well.

Also, burning doesn't seem to be it or at least too much of it and it doesn't work quite as well (going by the samples I've seen on the net). The key is the detail in the shadows. Our eyes adjust to detail in the shadows well, and too much burning can kill some of that detail in the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    are you talking about this kind of look?
    I really like this guy's effects. Any idea how it's PP-ed?

You can search the net for dragan photoshop action scripts. There are plenty around. I have some, but don't know how to attach them here.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    has anyone tried selectively sharpening also? I have a feeling that the sharpening on the face is slightly different from the sharpening being applied to the background.
    I haven't tried the draganizing effect but to get a more punchy texturized look on faces I usually create a duplicate layer and sharpen it to my taste, and then erase the background on the duplicate.

I find that utilizing the same kind of sharpening on the full image tends to flatten it out abit and create strange looks on objects when the sharpening is optimized for the skin.

btw you might want to avoid the burn/dodge tool
    You can get better control using curve layer masks. the burn dodge tool tends to create a neutral grey cast.
    from talking to retouchers in new york they always recommend the curve layer mask and avoid the burn/dodge tool
    How is the curve layer mask used? I'm sorry about the suakuness but I'm only just beginning to discover the finer points of PS

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned

Missed this question.... the radius size you choose depends on the amount of detail in the image. For finer details (or smaller images), you would choose a smaller radius. For larger detail (larger images), you would choose a larger radius.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry
    Missed this question.... the radius size you choose depends on the amount of detail in the image. For finer details (or smaller images), you would choose a smaller radius. For larger detail (larger images), you would choose a larger radius.
    Mmm, thanks. What about the threshhold setting? I tried adjusting it but doesn't seem much difference between threshhold at 5 and threshhold at 50.

Just can't resist the temptation, here is my version of dragan effect.

before

after
    Last edited by betazone; 25th August 2006 at 11:37 PM.

Like this?

Minor adjustment...

My takes:

Steps/Layers:

WB correction
    Hardlight sharpening /w mask (tweak the opacity for amount of sharpening)
    Desaturation using channels layer (use blue filter setting for B&W conversion and tweak the opacity for amount of desaturation)
    Levels correction

It's closer to Fiscus than Dragan, coz I like Jim's works better. Incidentally, Jim Fiscus is the IPA Int'l Photographer of the Year 2005 winner.
    Last edited by edlye; 26th August 2006 at 08:41 AM.

Here's my attempt

original

draganized

Is this what you're looking for?

Original

After PP

Original

After PP

edit: took less than 5 seconds for each.. Might have over done the 2nd one a bit.. LOL look at the shoulders.. But I suppose the effect you're looking for is there.. Just a matter of spending 10 more seconds to confirm adjust the values.
    Last edited by unseen; 28th August 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Hmm, assume you have an action for it?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast