Thread: how to get the right color

Default how to get the right color

Hi guys,
    How to get the right color for this case:
    - i take some shot of a T-shirt
    but the color came out not right , the color is just not the color of the T-shirt
    I shot in RAW.
    I did the white balance stuff. The back ground paper look White.
    But the T-shirt color just not there.

How to adjust it in photoshop ? or camera setting ?

Default Re: how to get the right color

Quote Originally Posted by htthach
    Hi guys,
    How to get the right color for this case:
    - i take some shot of a T-shirt
    but the color came out not right , the color is just not the color of the T-shirt
    I shot in RAW.
    I did the white balance stuff. The back ground paper look White.
    But the T-shirt color just not there.

How to adjust it in photoshop ? or camera setting ?

most digital camera images are captured in sRGB profile by default. This colour should be correct (in sRGB profile) unless:

1) you overwrite the profile in photoshop.
    2) the printer u use is not colour-managed.

U should only meddle with the original file (in photoshop)only if u know your monitor (hardware) and software (i.e adobe gamma) is calibrated. If all of the above criteria are met, then u have to ensure that your printing device is calibrated to your profile.

There are primary 2 ways to ensure that u have a good coloured management to the point of output.
    1) Calibrate your devices (i.e monitor, printer, gamma) using professional color calibration software and calibration devices such as greta macbeth,or spyder.
    2) Reverse Calibration. To calibrate your output to match your monitor and adobe gamma. This is the cheapest way available but can only allowed u to match up to only 1 output device (i.e your home printer).

Colour management can really be a tricky business. Especially when not much is done and practiced even in local commercial practices such as offset industry. In local context, people still relying much on hardcopy output to match colours due to the inconsistency in inking, paper, to even colour management devices. My advice to u is to match it to a printing machine which u will be using the most (i.e your home printer) and use the hardcopy as a proof. This will improve your colour management work flow.

actually i haven go to the printing stage
    the image is incorrect on the screen from the beginning.
    actually the T-shirt color is quite a sensitive color, it's a not here not there color and you can spot very slight difference in color.
    is it true that even we got the right white balance, we might not get the right color of the thing we shoot?

if you calibrated your screen, than you could perhaps tweek your colour temp in RAW to your desired T-shirt colour.

IF, a big if your screen is not calibrated, than you never be sure what not right, your camera or your screen.

there are a few reasons to why the colour is off. i.e U have you explain what difference is it? is it flatter, or the colour cast is flush toward blue. This will help me determine clearer what might be the problem. As Belle and sebestian has describe, it could be your monitor is not calibrated. If u know your output device, u could perhaps do a test print (with the incorrect colour) u see on screen. u might get the final output right despite having ur monitor shows a different colour.

If this only a specific case and (only applys to this picture). then perhaps your colour balance is not set properly, or or shooting device needs to be checked.
    Also keep in mind that at certain gamut range, certain colour does not perform as well in either RGB (your monitor) or CMYK (print). If u are very anal in colour repro than u have to know this so u won't panick unnecessary at some situation. Just try your best to match the colours.

if all are fine (your monitor and printer), Please adjust your colour then in your raw stage. Also keep in mind that if you are shooting in digital and if u are a faithful (curve) follower, then it's normal if your colour look flat. U just have to perk it up using a slight curve on photoshop.

Goodluck

white balance might be 100%, but note that all camera renders all colors differently. so it might be due to that ur camera doesn't render color 100% exact.

actually i haven go to the printing stage
    the image is incorrect on the screen from the beginning.
    actually the T-shirt color is quite a sensitive color, it's a not here not there color and you can spot very slight difference in color.
    is it true that even we got the right white balance, we might not get the right color of the thing we shoot?
    Camera LCD display is not accurate for colour viewing. You may want to buy Nikon D2Xs for calibrated LCD display, IIRC.

Regards,
    Arto.

actually the photo doesn't need to be printed out.
    just view on the screen is enuf.
    but even on the screen, color stiff seem to have a bit red feeling

actually the photo doesn't need to be printed out.
    just view on the screen is enuf.
    but even on the screen, color stiff seem to have a bit red feeling
    So your screen (computer screen?) need to be calibrated.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft

Regards,
    Arto.

yep.. i think so too..

Arrow Re: how to get the right color

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post

Regards,
    Arto.
    hi there, I think I am facing the same problem.
    My pics look different on different monitor screens.
    Look more pleasant at home than at work.

Can you kindly advise how to calibrate the monitor? I'm a technical idiot.

Thanks.
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

If its a black or dark coloured fabric that turns out reddish, then its more likely a camera issue. Post your sample.