Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funeral photography?

Default Funeral photography?

Any such service/requests in S'pore?

I remember reading a foreign mag some years back, about a funeral which was more like a "sending off party", with balloons and all. Shot mostly in monochrome, I thought it was beautiful.

When I go, I told my wife must arrange for the following:
    1) One crazy/smiley picture for the orbituary page (none of that serious stuff).
    2) Must hire expensive photographer to cover my funeral.

Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Funeral photography?

Yes... just covered one for a VP of a large multinational...
    It's a tribute to his life and CDs are given out to guests as a memory of a respected father, husband & boss...

Very touching ceremony...

Oh yeah, I guess locally it's really only common for VIPs, eh?

I don't think I'll be heading any MNC within this lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    When I go, I told my wife must arrange for the following:
    1) One crazy/smiley picture for the orbituary page (none of that serious stuff).
    What about your cameras and lenses?

Who will get them?

in some place, if the person is single, they will hold like a wedding party or a happy party.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman

I dont think you can get any expensive photographers here at CS ....
    Most of the others at trying to get "free" or cheap photographers here ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Yes... just covered one for a VP of a large multinational...
    It's a tribute to his life and CDs are given out to guests as a memory of a respected father, husband & boss...

Very touching ceremony...
    Touching? Hmm....

Hate to spoil it and I hope not all funerals are like dat, but Weddings and Funerals are 2 major events that 'long lost rich relatives' too busy to even pick up a phone call make their appearance in Mercedes and flashy jewellery or to network and discuss business.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    u sure there's no expensive photographers in CS?? I'm sure there are some lurking around... just that they don't respond to the call for free photographers only.

I was the photographer for 2 of my relatives' funerals. Must say it's quite uncommon to cover 'events' like these, if not for the special requests by the families to capture those precious moments before they say 'goodbye' to their dear ones. Did get quite a quite a lot of stares from those attending the funerals though. Can't blame them; it's not exactly a happy moment to take pictures.

And yup, it was done FOC. Can't bring myself to charge them anything for such a 'sacred' event.

did you manage to captured the spirit of the dead on cam? just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Funeral photography by CS photographers is charged double the price of wedding photography as it requires a certain emotional stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Funeral photography by CS photographers is charged double the price of wedding photography as it requires a certain emotional stress.
    Funeral & Wedding are 2 most expensive expenses in a lifetime. Its big business in Japan. Asuka (coffee table book printer) started as a funeral printer.

Quote Originally Posted by tolitz
    'spirit of the dead'? ... not exactly sure what you meant by that. Did have some shots of the deceased, capturing essentially that 'peaceful' appearance after having left behind all burdens and moving on to the 'other place'. Most of the other shots are facused on the emotional expressions of those going through the funeral proceedings. The most 'painful' ones I captured are right at the moment before the coffin is pushed into the (gosh, what's the right term to use?) incinerator/furnace?? The pain/grieve can be rather overbearing, and yes, there were tears in my eyes while I snap away. My cam didn't capture any other 'spirits' though ... if you are referring to the 'spooky' kind.

As one CSer puts it quite aptly, funeral photography can be rather depressing .....

Quote Originally Posted by Winsonapm
    Funeral & Wedding are 2 most expensive expenses in a lifetime. Its big business in Japan. Asuka (coffee table book printer) started as a funeral printer.

I did several funeral photography in sg. However, it seem only a few "category" of people are open to this concept as it is perceived "not norm" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tolitz

In respect, the emotions of relatives can be overbearing ... If you mean "the spirit" , no ... that is not what funeral photography is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Belly
    I was the photographer for 2 of my relatives' funerals. Must say it's quite uncommon to cover 'events' like these, if not for the special requests by the families to capture those precious moments before they say 'goodbye' to their dear ones. Did get quite a quite a lot of stares from those attending the funerals though. Can't blame them; it's not exactly a happy moment to take pictures.

And yup, it was done FOC. Can't bring myself to charge them anything for such a 'sacred' event.
    Took one of my close friend's relative upon requested, it's depressing indeed. They give me an ang pow as a token of thanks though.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by Big Belly
    'spirit of the dead'? ... not exactly sure what you meant by that. Did have some shots of the deceased, capturing essentially that 'peaceful' appearance after having left behind all burdens and moving on to the 'other place'. Most of the other shots are facused on the emotional expressions of those going through the funeral proceedings. The most 'painful' ones I captured are right at the moment before the coffin is pushed into the (gosh, what's the right term to use?) incinerator/furnace?? The pain/grieve can be rather overbearing, and yes, there were tears in my eyes while I snap away. My cam didn't capture any other 'spirits' though ... if you are referring to the 'spooky' kind.

As one CSer puts it quite aptly, funeral photography can be rather depressing .....
    It takes a lot to see thru a funeral shoot. I guess u're still pretty much raw to it.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    It takes a lot to see thru a funeral shoot. I guess u're still pretty much raw to it.
    You are right. I'm really not into funeral shoots and have no intention of making it part of my portfolio. Did it because of special requests by the relatives. They are already going through a difficult time. Don't wanna make it more difficult by saying NO.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Touching? Hmm....

Hate to spoil it and I hope not all funerals are like dat, but Weddings and Funerals are 2 major events that 'long lost rich relatives' too busy to even pick up a phone call make their appearance in Mercedes and flashy jewellery or to network and discuss business.
    In a way, that's quite true in life. Some relos and friends, we only meet at weddings and funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat
    I did several funeral photography in sg. However, it seem only a few "category" of people are open to this concept as it is perceived "not norm" yet.
    In this regard, funeral photography in S'pore would be a lot more stressful than wedding photography. You'd probably get some relatives giving you the "WTF are you doing?" kind of stares...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast