Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Basic Photography by the Photographic Society of Singapore

Default Re: Digital Basic Photography by the Photographic Society of Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by I'm The One
    Yes you are right, I've just check with PSS, there're thousands and thousands of LPSS in Singapore..... hehehe.
    I am not sure how many LPSS are there. But it is not as what you think. There is a time when around 30 people submitted, more than 17 of them cannot pass to obtain the title.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    I am not sure how many LPSS are there. But it is not as what you think. There is a time when around 30 people submitted, more than 17 of them cannot pass to obtain the title.
    Any requirements on photo finishing? As in glossy or matt?

Quote Originally Posted by tamade
    Any requirements on photo finishing? As in glossy or matt?
    S8R Size, Glossy with White Border.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

S8R Size, Glossy with White Border.
    Great, thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by tamade
    Great, thanks again for your help!
    Welcome.
    Just to share my thought about the LPSS submission. Try to talk with the instructors and get their critique and clinic advice on some of the photos that you taken for them to evaluate the possibility of passing.

I am not sure how many LPSS are there.
    PSS has 50+ years of history and being one of the good teachers in Photography, in Singapore, it's not surprising to have thousands of LPSS. Requipment of LPSS are a sound basic technical skill and the ability to compose and control the image or medium.
    Nikon D3, AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED and Speedlight SB-800

Having said that, after having basic technical skill that don't means one can go around acting like a 'guru' in photography. And start teaching and quoting from very books or websites that he can find.
    Last edited by I'm The One; 28th August 2006 at 03:20 PM.
    Nikon D3, AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED and Speedlight SB-800

PSS has 50+ years of history and being one of the good teachers in Photography, in Singapore, it's not surprising to have thousands of LPSS. Requipment of LPSS are a sound basic technical skill and the ability to compose and control the image or medium.
    I agree with you that PSS had been around since 1950 and they do have some of the very good and passionate instructors. Like I say, I am not sure about the number of LPSS that are around because :

6. Members who are elected shall received a Certificate. Such a certificate is the sole property of the Society. Any Licentiate who cease to be a member of the Society shall be required to return the Certificate to the Society.
    How many lifetime member of PSS are there? Likewise, how many of the LPSS later went to obtain their APSS or FPSS title?

I heard that the number of applicants for LPSS is not really that much for each quarter and the number of people who obtain the LPSS is like less than 50 each time.

There should have a lot of ex or current LPSS, like any other Licentiate of RPS, MPA or etc, you have to maintain your membership subcription with them or your title is gone once you have stop subscription. I know someone who had ARPS but stop his membership (in Sterling). He is also shy (haha kidding), 'alamak' with ARPS this kind of photo.

Therefore not a lot of people want to apply for Associateship or Licentiateship unless you want to turn professional.

And that does not means without one, you are a lesser photographer.

*There should be a handful of lifetime memberships of PSS
    Last edited by I'm The One; 28th August 2006 at 03:45 PM.

There should have a lot of ex or current LPSS, like any other Licentiate of RPS, MPA or etc, you have to maintain your membership subcription with them or your title is gone once you have stop subscription. I know someone who had ARPS but stop his membership (in Sterling).

Therefore not a lot of people want to apply for Associateship or Licentiateship unless you want to turn professional.

And that does means without one, you are a lesser photographer.
    Apologies but I don't really agree with your above point.
    A title is only a title, I know quite a few professional photographers who can go for Fellowship title but choose not to because of the subscription issue. To me, they are no lesser photographers but real professional with loads of experiences.

Apologies but I don't really agree with your above point. I know quite a few professional photographers who can go for Fellowship title but choose not to because of the subscription issue.
    I said : Stop because of subscription issue
    you have to maintain your membership subcription with them or your title is gone once you have stop subscription. I know someone who had ARPS but stop his membership (in Sterling). Therefore not a lot of people want to apply for Associateship or Licentiateship unless you want to turn professional.
    Apologies but I don't really agree with your above point.
    A title is only a title, To me, they are no lesser photographers but real professional with loads of experiences.
    My typo mistake : And that does NOT means without one, you are a lesser photographer.

Where am I not clear that you don't agreed with?

My typo mistake : And that does NOT means without one, you are a lesser photographer.

Ah...
    Now that is better.
    That, I then can agree.

Hey, Chill man.
    I am just trying to give the Threadstarter some options to look into to obtain a titleship. No need to get so work up. Just sharing of thoughts and information here that's all.

Now we have an agreement

Thanks all for your views & comments. Actually to me, the title isn't that important. I just want to know whether without any formal trainining, where do I stand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123