Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    singapore, Jurong
    Posts
    122

    Default Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Hi,
    i just bought a second hand studio lighting.
    found that the light is yellow. luckly the flash is white.

    a few questions:
    1) is there white colour strobes?
    2) for shooting jewelry or bead, should i use strobe or Continuous light? see this link:
    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

    3) For shooting jewelry or bead, should i used yellow or white lighting?
    4) For portraits, should i used white light or used back my yellow stobes light?
    5) i don't know any reason, why strobes designed for yellow light? what is the purpose? cheap?


    thanks
    Last edited by letdoit; 21st August 2006 at 03:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    the (yellow) modelling light is just to let u know where the light will fall and how the shadows are cast when before you fire off the flash.
    sigh.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    singapore, Jurong
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    the (yellow) modelling light is just to let u know where the light will fall and how the shadows are cast when before you fire off the flash.
    thanks alot. u should be asking my no.5
    maybe i going down to cathay and see how many type of strobe and ask question there.

  4. #4
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by letdoit
    thanks alot. u should be asking my no.5
    maybe i going down to cathay and see how many type of strobe and ask question there.
    yellow light or whatever color light just depends on the bulb u're using for the modelling lamp.
    and if your softbox material is old, u'll end up with yellow-ish light too.

    but all in all, it doesnt matter really.
    sigh.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by letdoit
    Hi,
    i just bought a second hand studio lighting.
    found that the light is yellow. luckly the flash is white.

    a few questions:
    1) is there white colour strobes?
    2) for shooting jewelry or bead, should i use strobe or Continuous light? see this link:
    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

    3) For shooting jewelry or bead, should i used yellow or white lighting?
    4) For portraits, should i used white light or used back my yellow stobes light?
    5) i don't know any reason, why strobes designed for yellow light? what is the purpose? cheap?


    thanks
    1) white color strobes? all strobes are white, think 5200-5500k, if u wan continuous, get fluorescent 5500k light. there is also quartz light.

    2) no diff, end of the day is how you do your setup and your skill level, iirc, its easier for beginners to use continuous lighting.

    3) hmm... maybe like clown say, modelling light, but there is also yellowish fluorescent light around, but depends on the mood, and are you going for color accuracy, and also your white balance setup.

    4) as above

    5) clown explained... btw the yellow 1 is tungsten light... the flash is xenon filled (i think).
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by letdoit
    Hi,
    i just bought a second hand studio lighting.
    found that the light is yellow. luckly the flash is white.

    a few questions:
    1) is there white colour strobes?
    2) for shooting jewelry or bead, should i use strobe or Continuous light? see this link:
    http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

    3) For shooting jewelry or bead, should i used yellow or white lighting?
    4) For portraits, should i used white light or used back my yellow stobes light?
    5) i don't know any reason, why strobes designed for yellow light? what is the purpose? cheap?

    thanks
    i think it would be easier if you told us what you bought
    and what light you are talking about?

  7. #7
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i think it would be easier if you told us what you bought
    and what light you are talking about?
    methinks he bought the eastgear small studio set...
    sigh.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    singapore, Jurong
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    1) white color strobes? all strobes are white, think 5200-5500k, if u wan continuous, get fluorescent 5500k light. there is also quartz light.

    2) no diff, end of the day is how you do your setup and your skill level, iirc, its easier for beginners to use continuous lighting.

    3) hmm... maybe like clown say, modelling light, but there is also yellowish fluorescent light around, but depends on the mood, and are you going for color accuracy, and also your white balance setup.

    4) as above

    5) clown explained... btw the yellow 1 is tungsten light... the flash is xenon filled (i think).
    thanks pal
    i think there isn't white tungsten light, no choice have to buy cont.light

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by letdoit
    thanks pal
    i think there isn't white tungsten light, no choice have to buy cont.light
    iirc, there is, long ago, but not that white, they used frosted glass instead of transparent ones. but its not for such usage. there is also red ones... hehe..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

    Strobes have stronger flash but you might need the assistance of a flash meter.
    Continous lighting is easier but it drains power and the heat caused is HOT.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •